Greatest Cardinal ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Cardinal ever

I always thought Albert Pujols had a chance, but in my opinion he needed a few more seasons there. I believe it's Stan the Man. Still the greatest Cardinal ever. Thoughts?
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

It would have to be either Musial or Hornsby. Musial had the longer career with the Cards but Hornsby's peak was incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
      It would have to be either Musial or Hornsby. Musial had the longer career with the Cards but Hornsby's peak was incredible.
      Stan Musial is the Cardinals. He played his entire 20+ year career in St. Louis, and is beloved there. If Pujols was a local hero, Musial was a Saint.

I'm not sure, but I don't think Hornsby was so fondly thought of in his time in St. Louis.
      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
        Stan Musial is the Cardinals. He played his entire 20+ year career in St. Louis, and is beloved there. If Pujols was a local hero, Musial was a Saint.

I'm not sure, but I don't think Hornsby was so fondly thought of in his time in St. Louis.
        Certainly Hornsby was a tool, no question. However the question asked who was the greatest Cardinal, not the most beloved. I think you can make an argument for Hornsby; all depends on how much you value his insane peak over Musial's career.

Comment

Originally posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
          Certainly Hornsby was a tool, no question. However the question asked who was the greatest Cardinal, not the most beloved. I think you can make an argument for Hornsby; all depends on how much you value his insane peak over Musial's career.
          In termsof who was the greater player, it's pretty closr between Musial and Hornsby. General consensus has Musial in the top 10 position players alltime (usually 7-8-9-10), and Hornsby at around 10 or slightly lower (10-11-12-13)- awfully close. But, as to who was the greatest Cardinal, it's clearly Musial. He spent his entire career there, while Hornsby lwas traded after about a dozen years and had several very big seasons after he left.

Comment

Musial the Cardinal wins big over Hornsby the Cardinal. However, Hornsby vs Musial overall would make a very interesting thread. Hornsby crushes Musial in peak value, but Musial was much more durable and put up much better running numbers. Hornsby's incredible 6 year run included 6 batting titles, 2 triple crowns, a .397 avg, and an OPS+ of 201. Better yet, Hornsby averaged .382 and a 188 OPS+ from 1920-1929. Musial never once hit .381 and only topped 188 OPS+ once in his career. However, Musial was very good for 17 years(top 10 in MVP voting 15 of 17 years) while averaging a stellar 167 OPS+ during this time frame. Basically, Musial was incredible for 17 years and Hornsby had a 10 year great stint, although a much better peak than Musial's. I tend to give Musial the edge in career value. But it is a paper-thin margin of victory.

Comment

Just a suggestion, but this might make a great poll question.

Comment

I never seem to venture into the team forums. However, thought I'd give an opinion. Musial has to be considered the best due to his career stats. Hornsby is certainly in the running. However, something that has always intrigued me is why doesn't Red Schoendienst ever get mentioned? Oh, I know his numbers aren't as great as a Cardinal. However, his years of service have to count for something. Besides his playing days, he was Manger of the Year in 1967 and 1968 and the Cardinals won the World Series in 1967.
                Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X