Knothole Gang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knothole Gang

Do kids today have the opportunity we had to go to baseball games? Growing up in St. Louis, we
    hopped on a streetcar to Sportsman Park, with our Knothole Gang passes in our pockets, and we were able to get in free, proudly showing our passes. So we grew up knowing and loving baseball and becoming lifelong fans. There were no night games so that made it easier. But what do kids do now?

Originally posted by MackG View Post
    Do kids today have the opportunity we had to go to baseball games? Growing up in St. Louis, we
    hopped on a streetcar to Sportsman Park, with our Knothole Gang passes in our pockets, and we were able to get in free, proudly showing our passes. So we grew up knowing and loving baseball and becoming lifelong fans. There were no night games so that made it easier. But what do kids do now?
    I would be surprised if anything like that exists today. If children leave their homes without adult supervision they will surely be raped or shot [joking]. But teams generally don't give deals anymore. If they had a deal like that now it would have to be sponsored by a company at least, which is sad.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Kids now ride with their parents from Webster, Clayton, U-City or other affluent suburb in their nice cars. They pay $20 to park and $50+ for food for the family. Then they drive home.

My Dad used to ride buses from Shrewsbury.

Times have changed.
      Last edited by StanTheMan; 12-27-2012, 11:43 AM.
      "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

I wouldn't think the Cardinals would have promotions like that anymore. They play to many night games and I doubt even back then kids would be allowed to go to a night game alone. I think it's pretty obvious that kids today would rather play video games which i'm sure if video games were around in the 50's kids would be playing them back then too.
        "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X