Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest and/or most popular Cardinal ever after Stan Musial?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest and/or most popular Cardinal ever after Stan Musial?

And if it wasn't for Musial then who would be considered the greatest and/or most popular Cardinal ever?

The guy who you picked after Musial or somebody else?

Maybe Red Schoendienst.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Schoendeinst is certainly popular and respected greatly. He wasn't a great player along the lines of Musial, Gibson, Ozzie, etc.

I might nominate Ozzie for this thread. Hugely popular (except for Larussa) and of course an all-time great. Gibson as well, but he isn't I the spotlight as much as others. The Cards were smart (imo) to not shell out ten more years for Pujols, otherwise he is on the list/makes the list.
      "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Second greatest player: Bob Gibson
        Second most popular player: Ozzie Smith
        Brian Walton
        TheCardinalNation.com/TheCardinalNationBlog.com

Comment

Hornsby was the second greatest player, with Pujols in the running. Hard to say who was the second most popular. Ozzie is a good pick as any.
          1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
          The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

How about Dizzy Dean?

Comment

Originally posted by pheasant View Post
              How about Dizzy Dean?

Career was short but his impact with the club is up there with the likes of Musial, Gibson, Ozzie, Hornsby, and Red. Too bad he couldn't stay healthy along with his brother Paul because they still would have been pretty young in the 40s to go along with Stan and the Cooper Brothers.

Comment

Dean became the loveable, barrier breaking, simpleton, unconventional announcer long before Harry Caray did the same when he became an older, crappier, annoying version of his younger self.
                "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

My personal favorite all time Redbird is Dizzy Dean. So, my VERY biased opinion would have him as #2 to Stan Musial, then I would have: Ozzie Smith, Albert Pujols, Bob Gibson, Red Schoendienst, Lou Brock, Rogers Hornsby, Yadier Molina, Chris Carpenter etc. Those would be "popular" Cardinals and not really the "next best thing" to Musial. That would be my personal opinion on the matter, but it would be interesting to see a poll done on this.

Of course most current Cardinal fans may not even know the names of any greats form the 19th Century, the early great teams of Hornsby and Frisch's Gas House Gang, or Musial's 1940s buddies. We would probably see more from Gibby's 60s crews, Ozzie's 1980s mates, and of course a bunch of current 'Birds like Yadi, Waino and Freese.
                  "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

The second greatest Cardinal behind Musial is Hornsby, followed pretty closely by Pujols, then probably Bob Gibson.

Based on my outsider's view, Dizzy Dean, Red Schoendienst, and Ozzie Smith were obvious fan favorites. Another really well- liked Cardinal was Ken Boyer, who was from Missouri.

Comment

Bo Hart...
                      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                        Bo Hart...
                        HA! Yep, he was a favorite of mine for that quick minute he was our second-sacker a decade ago! Really fizzled fast the next season and that was that.

Another popular Cardinal was Enos "Country" Slaughter. My grandfather used to talk a lot about him, Big Cat, The Cat, Pepper and Ripper beyond those early players already mentioned. My mom always talked a lot about Boyer, Gibby, Brock, White, Cepeda, McCarver, Julian, Dal, Shannon, and Maris on those great 60s teams.

Kinda funny that we had a few very good players in the 70s, but no one seems too talk about them much. Kinda like they failed and are forgotten because they didn't add a pennant (or 2 or 3) like the great teams of other decades. Simba, Tempy, Torre, Reggie, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
                          HA! Yep, he was a favorite of mine for that quick minute he was our second-sacker a decade ago! Really fizzled fast the next season and that was that.

Another popular Cardinal was Enos "Country" Slaughter. My grandfather used to talk a lot about him, Big Cat, The Cat, Pepper and Ripper beyond those early players already mentioned. My mom always talked a lot about Boyer, Gibby, Brock, White, Cepeda, McCarver, Julian, Dal, Shannon, and Maris on those great 60s teams.

Kinda funny that we had a few very good players in the 70s, but no one seems too talk about them much. Kinda like they failed and are forgotten because they didn't add a pennant (or 2 or 3) like the great teams of other decades. Simba, Tempy, Torre, Reggie, etc.

Who was the better brother combo for the Cardinals? The Dean Brothers and their awesome pitching or The Cooper (Pitcher/Catcher combination) Brothers?

Comment

Originally posted by JessePopHaines16 View Post
                            Who was the better brother combo for the Cardinals? The Dean Brothers and their awesome pitching or The Cooper (Pitcher/Catcher combination) Brothers?
                            Man, that's a tough one. I would lean to the Coopers, as they lasted longer. As you know, Paul was only effective in '34-'35, winning 19 both years. But Mort and Walker were one hell of a battery! Mort won an MVP, had 21 or 22 wins a year for 3 years in a row, and Walker was hitting around .300 or better each year during those great seasons in the '40s! Can't forget the Benes brothers, Andy and Alan, that pitched pretty well for us in the lean years of the mid 90s. Alan started 1996 with a 1-7 record, then turned it around and ended up 18-8. Alan also won something like 13 or so that year. He was effective for a couple seasons, like Paul Dean, just not as good.

The Deans won a World Series in 1934, on my favorite Cardinals team ever! I'd really lean to them, but I just can't dismiss what the Coopers brought to those great Series winning teams in the 40s. If the Cardinals had one that damn 4th game after having the great Braves team on the ropes in '96, I believe they had a very good shot of beating the Yankees that year (but of course I am severely biased), and then I would absolutely put the Benes Boys in that conversation! I love Dizzy Dean, and his calling 'em like he saw it! He said he and Paul would win 2 each against the Tigers powerhouse that Series, and he was right!

Who do you like better? I say the better duo was the Coopers, but my favorite is clearly the Dean Boys!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X