Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Ten Seasons - Stan and Albert

Counting Stats
    Musial: 1512 G|6705 PA|1141 R|2003 H|411 doubles|133 triples|226 HR|1007 RBI|59/NA SB|844 BB|303 K|3358 TB|110 GIDP
    Pujols: 1558 G|6782 PA|1186 R|1900 H|426 doubles|15 triples|408 HR|1230 RBI|75/109 SB|914 BB|646 K|3580 TB|203 GIDP

Rate Stats
    Musial: .346/.431/.579/1.010
    Pujols: .331/.426/.624/1.050

Advanced Stats
    Musial: 172 OPS+|77.3 oWAR
    Pujols: 172 OPS+|69.6 oWAR
    -----
    Wow! Close!
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Stan: 4 NL pennants, 3 World Series titles

Albert: 3 NL pennants, 2 World Series titles

And they were both great guys too!
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Musial's 303 K's in his first 6,700 plate appearances is astonishing. He had 35% more DOUBLES than K's!!! I always knew Pujols' first 10 years stood up to anyone's in the history of the game, but had forgotten a few things about Stan's early years.

Two GREAT men as well... Seconded.

I read a great line about Musial a few weeks ago. When people say Rest In Peace about a deceased man, they can say so for certain with Musial. Living life the way he did, with all those great accomplishments as well, he is indeed at peace.
      "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Everything they offered to statistics, hope for the next great one, fan response, etc. Two legends. I cannot select between them only because I think they both end up equally important when all is said and done talking about baseball.
        "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
          Musial's 303 K's in his first 6,700 plate appearances is astonishing. He had 35% more DOUBLES than K's!!! I always knew Pujols' first 10 years stood up to anyone's in the history of the game, but had forgotten a few things about Stan's early years.

Two GREAT men as well... Seconded.

I read a great line about Musial a few weeks ago. When people say Rest In Peace about a deceased man, they can say so for certain with Musial. Living life the way he did, with all those great accomplishments as well, he is indeed at peace.
          The Man is just ridiculous! He had more 2Bs than Ks in his career, didn't he? The guy only came close to his Ks matching his BBs in the last couple seasons of his career, in his 40s! I think it was finally in 1963 when he had more Ks than BBs, gotta look it up again. I posted about it in another thread. Just ridiculous! That guy was some kind of hitter! Certainly the kind of man we don't see a whole lot of anymore as a role model for kids.

I am hoping that Albert gets healthy and finishes strong with the normal career decline. He played very hard and gave us Cardinal fans all we could ask for. Sure, a couple more rings in the first half of his career would've been nice, but after not seeing a Cardinal championship for almost a quarter century, I'm happy with the 2 we got!

Comment

Musial has the highest slugging % of all members of the 3,000 hit club. Yes, higher than Aaron, Mays, etc. Not many know that. He might have been the perfect hitter.

The Man = "El Hombre" in Spanish. When it became clear that Pujols was one hell of a hitter, it was suggested in the media that "El Hombre" should be Albert's nickname. He shot that down in a hurry, and did so firmly... Out of respect to Stan. Nice gesture. The Angels placed huge "El Hombre" billboards in Anaheim after he signed. Albert had them taken down rather quickly iirc.

Last edited by StanTheMan; 07-06-2013, 07:43 PM.
            "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Yeah, it had been at least a couple decades since I looked up Stan's stats in my old Baseball Encyclopedia, but when I finished re-typing that article about him in the 1991 Cardinals Official Yearbook a week or so ago, I went to baseball-reference and looked him up. It blew my mind again, just like when I would stare at it in the Encyclopedia as a kid! I'm talking mouth open catching flies, eyes bulging and drying out due to lack of blinking ability, the whole 9 yards. That guy had an amazing career, and 30 or so Ks in over 700 PAs?! Crazy.

The perfect hitter? I don't know. But he has to be about as close as one can humanly get! Especially when you think of that huge LF and CF in Sportsman's Park, and how he loved to hit to LF (said he did). If that place had been smaller, he certainly would've been in the 500 HR club. Heck, if he was more of a pull hitter (or learned to be one like Roger Maris when he got to NY), he could easily have passed up 500 in his long career!

Comment

Pujols leads the tribute to Musial at the Cards at Angels Series...

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/new...s_stl&c_id=stl

An older pic... Is there another pic of two better hitters? One being a righty and one a lefty? Mays/Williams maybe, or is there a Ruth/Hornsby photo?

Last edited by StanTheMan; 07-04-2013, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Good job Albert and the Angels! That's awesome. C'mon and get healthy there big #5! Got a lot of work to do to get up there by #6!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X