No announcement yet.

2015 Cardinals Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, what a game by Mike Leake and Adam Wainwright. Gotta give the tip o' the cap to both starters of last night's game. That is some fine work they did. And what about Matt Adams?! The big guy can jump! What a helluva great catch way up in the air on that scorching liner by Jay Bruce. Matt Carpenter, I can't say enough about that guy.
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
      Wow, what a game by Mike Leake and Adam Wainwright. Gotta give the tip o' the cap to both starters of last night's game. That is some fine work they did. And what about Matt Adams?! The big guy can jump! What a helluva great catch way up in the air on that scorching liner by Jay Bruce. Matt Carpenter, I can't say enough about that guy.
      Adams is a really good defender. I know that will surprise a lot of people, but he is very agile and has great reflexes. And he is a big target.

The whole defense is phenomenal on this team. Holliday is below average, but everybody else ranges from average (Carpenter) to historically good (Molina, Heyward). An then you have the best defensive OF in baseball on the bench with super-rangy Grichik and Kozma, who is really good at SS. Even Reynolds is versatile enough to play 3B and COF.

We know they will pitch very well and defend very well. We know they will get on base a ton and hit tons of doubles. The season really comes down to 1. health and 2. if they can pop some out of the park...ever.
      Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 04-20-2015, 01:33 PM.
      1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
      The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

are you worried about the cubs now? they still have some question marks but their hitting Talent really seems to be tremendous. their pitching is probably not good enough but they could be the best offensive Team of the Division. an IF of rizzo, Russell, castro and bryant probably might be already the best in the league.
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
          are you worried about the cubs now? they still have some question marks but their hitting Talent really seems to be tremendous. their pitching is probably not good enough but they could be the best offensive Team of the Division. an IF of rizzo, Russell, castro and bryant probably might be already the best in the league.
          Not for this year, no. Their pitching is still so-so and their high- K, offense will be very streaky.

If anybodies top 4 hitting talents have great years, they could be the best hitting team in the league. I still think they are a 82-84 win team this year.

Comment

I don't worry about anybody in April. Almost 30 years ago, the A's still thought Rob Nelson was going to be their 1Bman of the future in April of 1987. Then Mark McGwire took the job. Anything can happen early, but it is a very, very long 6 months to October.

Remember some guy started a thread about the Brewers last year when they were the first club to 20 wins? He was bragging on their hot start, and I said it didn't matter and some ridiculous posts started coming in about how solid the Crew were on paper and I was only blowing them off because they were in our division and blah, blah, blah. April and May don't really get me worried, unless it is some serious health/performance issues within our own team.

Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
            Not for this year, no. Their pitching is still so-so and their high- K, offense will be very streaky.

If anybodies top 4 hitting talents have great years, they could be the best hitting team in the league. I still think they are a 82-84 win team this year.
            Excellent points. Let's see how these kids adjust to the coming pitching adjustments they will be seeing as the year drags on. If they hold on and can keep it up, sure they look good. We have known for the past couple years these guys were building up. I do think it would be cool if they broke out a little early, but that is just dreaming and not analyzing.

Comment

I don't worry about anybody in April. Almost 30 years ago, the A's still thought Rob Nelson was going to be their 1Bman of the future in April of 1987. Then Mark McGwire took the job. Anything can happen early, but it is a very, very long 6 months to October.

Remember some guy started a thread about the Brewers last year when they were the first club to 20 wins? He was bragging on their hot start, and I said it didn't matter and some ridiculous posts started coming in about how solid the Crew were on paper and I was only blowing them off because they were in our division and blah, blah, blah. April and May don't really get me worried, unless it is some serious health/performance issues within our own team.

Excellent points. Let's see how these kids adjust to the coming pitching adjustments they will be seeing as the year drags on. If they hold on and can keep it up, sure they look good. We have known for the past couple years these guys were building up. I do think it would be cool if they broke out a little early, but that is just dreaming and not analyzing.
              Yeah. The middle of their lineup has legit thump. And Lester and Arrieta will make a nice 1-2. After that, there isn't much depth anywhere and the defense and bullpen are shaky. They could make the playoffs since there are 5 teams now...but I think 2016 will be the big breakout season.

Comment

Yeah. The middle of their lineup has legit thump. And Lester and Arrieta will make a nice 1-2. After that, there isn't much depth anywhere and the defense and bullpen are shaky. They could make the playoffs since there are 5 teams now...but I think 2016 will be the big breakout season.
                I haven't checked, but other than Lester they don't have any big FA guys on the books right now, right? They have tons of cash to spend to add a piece here or there if these kids can produce. I would be really excited if I were a Cub fan. Of course if I were a Cub fan I would be living in a dumpster or an old Chevy.

Comment

I haven't checked, but other than Lester they don't have any big FA guys on the books right now, right? They have tons of cash to spend to add a piece here or there if these kids can produce. I would be really excited if I were a Cub fan. Of course if I were a Cub fan I would be living in a dumpster or an old Chevy.
                  Oh yeah - they are in a great position right now to build a long-term contender.

Comment

Oh yeah - they are in a great position right now to build a long-term contender.
                    Yeah, I "can't wait" for them to finally follow the two Sox teams and win that long overdue World Series. Imagine all the Cubs crap that will be thrown in our faces, and all the Cubs fans that will creep up out of the woodwork all over creation. Yay. It can be like 2004 all over again, when I was suddenly surrounded by Red Sox "fans" in Minneapolis. I would go to many of the Red Sox games in the Metrodome from 2002-2004, but I quit going after that season. There were a couple of us back then, but after the Idiots won, there were so many damn fake Boston accents (coming from Minnesota accents, it sounds pretty ridiculous). Ugh. Yes, I "can't wait."

Comment

Yeah, I "can't wait" for them to finally follow the two Sox teams and win that long overdue World Series. Imagine all the Cubs crap that will be thrown in our faces, and all the Cubs fans that will creep up out of the woodwork all over creation. Yay. It can be like 2004 all over again, when I was suddenly surrounded by Red Sox "fans" in Minneapolis. I would go to many of the Red Sox games in the Metrodome from 2002-2004, but I quit going after that season. There were a couple of us back then, but after the Idiots won, there were so many damn fake Boston accents (coming from Minnesota accents, it sounds pretty ridiculous). Ugh. Yes, I "can't wait."
                      Its going to be terrible.

Speaking of terrible...Adam Wainwright. Ugh. This year could have just taken a huge turn here.

Comment

Lester was pretty bad so far. If this is the start of his decline that could be a terrible deal for the Cubs.
                        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Its going to be terrible.

Speaking of terrible...Adam Wainwright. Ugh. This year could have just taken a huge turn here.
                          Just his luck, too. He has been a brilliant pitcher, but injuries have really hampered his career numbers to date. If we lose him for the rest of the season that will really, really hurt this ballclub. Damn, that really sucks.

Comment

Not at all. Don't worry about il. The Cards have four of the 12 lowest ERAs in the NL -- now the have only three, two of them lower than Wainwright's, The Cards team ERA is a full run below any other team in MLB. The Cards won the WS in Wainwright's Tommy John year. They won the division the year they lost Darryl Kile.

They have a GM who knows how to find a way to replace him.

One thing you definitely have to consider is those 50 or so innings you're going to have to get out of somebody, since the fifth starter cannot be depended upon to go as deep as Wainwright into games. You simply can't afford to have Chaate's role taking up a roster spot -- even if he was ever getting anybody out.

Here's a list of pitchers who will be free agents after 2015, any of whom can be traded for right now:
                            Brett Anderson (28)
                            Brandon Beachy (29) – club option
                            Erik Bedard (36)
                            Chad Billingsley (31)
                            Clay Buchholz (31) – $13MM club option with a $245K buyout
                            Mark Buehrle (37)
                            A.J. Burnett (39)
                            Trevor Cahill (28) – $13MM club option with a $300K buyout
                            Chris Capuano (37)
                            Jhoulys Chacin (28)
                            Wei-Yin Chen (30)
                            Bartolo Colon (43)
                            Johnny Cueto (30)
                            Ross Detwiler (30)
                            R.A. Dickey (41) – $12MM club option with a $1MM buyout
                            Marco Estrada (32)
                            Doug Fister (32)
                            Gavin Floyd (33)
                            Yovani Gallardo (30)
                            Jaime Garcia (29) – $11.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
                            Zack Greinke (32) – can opt out of remaining three years/$71MM
                            Jeremy Guthrie (37) – $10MM mutual option with a $3.2MM buyout
                            J.A. Happ (33)
                            Aaron Harang (38)
                            Dan Haren (35)
                            Tim Hudson (40)
                            Hisashi Iwakuma (35)
                            Scott Kazmir (32)
                            Kyle Kendrick (31)
                            Ian Kennedy (31)
                            John Lackey (37)
                            Mat Latos (28)
                            Mike Leake (28)
                            Cliff Lee (37) – $27.5MM club/vesting option with a $12.5MM buyout
                            Tim Lincecum (32)
                            Kyle Lohse (37)
                            Corey Luebke (31) – $7.5MM club option with a $1.75MM buyout
                            Justin Masterson (31)
                            Brandon Morrow (31)
                            Bud Norris (31)
                            Mike Pelfrey (32)
                            David Price (30)
                            Ricky Romero (31) – $13.1MM club option with a $600K buyout
                            Jeff Samardzija (31)
                            Alfredo Simon (35)
                            Ryan Vogelsong (38)
                            Jerome Williams (34)
                            Chris Young (37)
                            Jordan Zimmermann (30)
                            Last edited by jtur88; 04-26-2015, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Well, I'd rather not trade any prospects for a rental starter. Hopefully, one of our young guys can step up and get the job done. I doubt Jaime Garcia will ever be all that useful again. Even when he was real good, he seemed to tire and break down in the second half. Gonzalez has a sore left pectoral muscle, but hopefully he can bounce back quickly. I mentioned it in another thread here that I would rather not trade away future Redbirds for a pitcher for this season. One article at mlb.com had a guy saying Mo needs to make a move, and I don't agree at this point. That author even said we should try for Cole Hamels, but he is owed over $20 million on his contract, and would suck up some serious prospects. No thanks.

Comment

Lester was pretty bad so far. If this is the start of his decline that could be a terrible deal for the Cubs.
                                I was never that big on the deal.

But I wouldn't put too much on a few starts.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X