Happy anniversary to the 26, 46, and 2006 championship squads this season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy anniversary to the 26, 46, and 2006 championship squads this season

Share your thoughts on any of those teams.

I actually haven't read much about the '46 squad. I have some great notes on their season in that huge Cardinals book I have packed away at the moment. I do remember reading in that book that before the season started, when all our Redbirds that were away in the military came home, we had an enormous team! The rich farm system kept supplying strong talent to keep the team atop the NL during the war years, except '45 when we finished second to the Cubs. The team was able to sell or trade away a lot of guys to other teams, and still had a very strong squad that won the NL and the Series.

The 2006 team is the only one I really know a lot about. I was stationed in California at the time, in the Army, and was having a very stressful summer. Seeing my Birds go from the amazing 100 win team the previous two years to a fine squad that would suffer 8 game losing streaks was very trying. That end of the year collapse was horrible to suffer through, and at least the Astros were just as bad that year and they failed to catch us on the final day of the season.

Luckily, our star players seemed to get healthy and locked in at the right time, and the young Waino took the closer job like a seasoned veteran! My platoon sergeant that year was some ******* from San Diego, and he was bragging to some other NCOs during PT one morning (long before sunrise, of course...) that this year his Padres should get past the Cardinals in the NLDS. We just looked pathetic stumbling into the postseason.

I heard that and wanted to cry, because I hated that SoB, and knew he was probably right! Ugh. But, Carp, Albert, Waino and the boys weren't having any of that nonsense!

My neighbor, a young Army guy who was in the Korean school while I was in the Chinese one, he was a huge Mets fan. He and his wife and me and my wife used to hang out every weekend, cook out, drink, watch sports, and have a great time. Well, those 7 games were so hard for us! He was a huge guy too, from NY, and he could get explosive when his Mets would start beating on our Redbirds -- and he could get so vocal in his disgust when we would peck our way right back into a game!

He told me one day, I think it was Game 2, when we eventually won a back and forth game on the So Taguchi HR off Billy Wagner in the 9th in Shea, that he couldn't believe our team never quit, and always was able to climb back into the game after losing the lead. It was fun. But, when we only needed 1 more win to go to the Series, he told me I couldn't come over and watch any more games at his side of the duplex! I was "bad luck" for his Mets!

That Game 7 nearly drove me mad, no joke. When Soup had only one out and the bases loaded, in NY, and had Jose Valentin and Endy Chavez (the little jerk who just robbed Scott Rolen of a HR with that catch...), I thought it was all over. The fact Soup got out of that with the, what was it a K and pop out to Jimmy, I was ecstatic! Yadi's time up, with a man on and the game tied, I was thinking if Molina didn't get it done we wouldn't score that inning. BAM!!! Heaven.

Of course Waino had a rough go in the 9th, and when Carlos Beltran came up with the bases loaded and 2 out, with like a bit of rain or something I think, my heart sank. I hated that guy! Watching him strike out looking on that gutsy curve, that was like poetry. Epic poetry.

My neighbor, when he was talking to me again a couple/few days later, agreed to hold up his end of our bargain. We swore early on in the NLCS that no matter who won, we would back their squad in the World Series. We were both solid NL guys, and that was during all that crap talk about the AL being so superior and blah blah blah. So I went to his place to watch Game 1, with two rookies making history by being the starters to open a World Series. Anthony Reyes pitched the game of his life, Albert Pujols, Scott Rolen and Jim Edmonds came out swinging and the Series was a blast!

Speaking of guys pitching the games of their lives, Carp shutting down the Tigers in Busch after Kenny Rogers tied the Series at 1 apiece was HUGE! Carp was on, with 8 scoreless innings, and looked like the postseason master he was. Then Jeff Weaver, oh I was so happy for that guy -- and our team too of course! -- going out there like a bulldog in Game 5 and dominating the Tigers for the Series win! It was the first time I saw our Cardinals win a World Series as an adult, and it was our 10th Series championship as well. So many special moments happening for the franchise, me, the players, it was just great to see it all happen.

I talked with my cousin, another diehard Cardinal fan, about which was more special and memorable for us: 2006 or 2011? I still go with 2011, for many reasons, but that 2006 Series was very, very special as well!
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
      I actually haven't read much about the '46 squad. I have some great notes on their season in that huge Cardinals book I have packed away at the moment. I do remember reading in that book that before the season started, when all our Redbirds that were away in the military came home, we had an enormous team! The rich farm system kept supplying strong talent to keep the team atop the NL during the war years, except '45 when we finished second to the Cubs. The team was able to sell or trade away a lot of guys to other teams, and still had a very strong squad that won the NL and the Series.

The 2006 team is the only one I really know a lot about. I was stationed in California at the time, in the Army, and was having a very stressful summer. Seeing my Birds go from the amazing 100 win team the previous two years to a fine squad that would suffer 8 game losing streaks was very trying. That end of the year collapse was horrible to suffer through, and at least the Astros were just as bad that year and they failed to catch us on the final day of the season.

Luckily, our star players seemed to get healthy and locked in at the right time, and the young Waino took the closer job like a seasoned veteran! My platoon sergeant that year was some ******* from San Diego, and he was bragging to some other NCOs during PT one morning (long before sunrise, of course...) that this year his Padres should get past the Cardinals in the NLDS. We just looked pathetic stumbling into the postseason.

I heard that and wanted to cry, because I hated that SoB, and knew he was probably right! Ugh. But, Carp, Albert, Waino and the boys weren't having any of that nonsense!

My neighbor, a young Army guy who was in the Korean school while I was in the Chinese one, he was a huge Mets fan. He and his wife and me and my wife used to hang out every weekend, cook out, drink, watch sports, and have a great time. Well, those 7 games were so hard for us! He was a huge guy too, from NY, and he could get explosive when his Mets would start beating on our Redbirds -- and he could get so vocal in his disgust when we would peck our way right back into a game!

He told me one day, I think it was Game 2, when we eventually won a back and forth game on the So Taguchi HR off Billy Wagner in the 9th in Shea, that he couldn't believe our team never quit, and always was able to climb back into the game after losing the lead. It was fun. But, when we only needed 1 more win to go to the Series, he told me I couldn't come over and watch any more games at his side of the duplex! I was "bad luck" for his Mets!

That Game 7 nearly drove me mad, no joke. When Soup had only one out and the bases loaded, in NY, and had Jose Valentin and Endy Chavez (the little jerk who just robbed Scott Rolen of a HR with that catch...), I thought it was all over. The fact Soup got out of that with the, what was it a K and pop out to Jimmy, I was ecstatic! Yadi's time up, with a man on and the game tied, I was thinking if Molina didn't get it done we wouldn't score that inning. BAM!!! Heaven.

Of course Waino had a rough go in the 9th, and when Carlos Beltran came up with the bases loaded and 2 out, with like a bit of rain or something I think, my heart sank. I hated that guy! Watching him strike out looking on that gutsy curve, that was like poetry. Epic poetry.

My neighbor, when he was talking to me again a couple/few days later, agreed to hold up his end of our bargain. We swore early on in the NLCS that no matter who won, we would back their squad in the World Series. We were both solid NL guys, and that was during all that crap talk about the AL being so superior and blah blah blah. So I went to his place to watch Game 1, with two rookies making history by being the starters to open a World Series. Anthony Reyes pitched the game of his life, Albert Pujols, Scott Rolen and Jim Edmonds came out swinging and the Series was a blast!

Speaking of guys pitching the games of their lives, Carp shutting down the Tigers in Busch after Kenny Rogers tied the Series at 1 apiece was HUGE! Carp was on, with 8 scoreless innings, and looked like the postseason master he was. Then Jeff Weaver, oh I was so happy for that guy -- and our team too of course! -- going out there like a bulldog in Game 5 and dominating the Tigers for the Series win! It was the first time I saw our Cardinals win a World Series as an adult, and it was our 10th Series championship as well. So many special moments happening for the franchise, me, the players, it was just great to see it all happen.

I talked with my cousin, another diehard Cardinal fan, about which was more special and memorable for us: 2006 or 2011? I still go with 2011, for many reasons, but that 2006 Series was very, very special as well!
      2006 World Series was special for those born after 1982. Like myself

Comment

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post

I actually thought we would get past SD pretty easily. They weren't that good. Knowing Pedro would not pitch in the NLCS, I knew we at least had a shot since we could get 203 starts from Carp, who was better than any starter the Mets had. Winning the WS was a total shock. I really thought the Tigers would beat us pretty bad.

But as far as comparing 2006 and 2011, 2011 will always be more special to me. The amazing regular season comeback was epic and historic. And each series had 2-3 amazing games. Not that the 2006 didn't have a few - just not nearly as many. Game 6 alone puts it into another stratosphere. Third, as wonderful as it was, there was still a little uneasiness about winning a championship with only 83 wins. Spent as much time defending the team to others as enjoying the championship. Finally, and most personally, my mom was diagnosed with a terminal cancer in November, 2011 and died a few months later. Watching the games together and going to the championship parade are some of the last things I remember about her.
        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X