2B: Rogers Hornsby, Frankie Frisch
    3B: Ken Boyer, Scott Rolen
    SS: Ozzie Smith, Marty Marion
    LF: Stan Musial, Lou Brock, Joe Medwick
    CF: Curt Flood
    RF: Enos Slaughter
    SP: Bob Gibson, Harry Brecheen, Dizzy Dean, Jesse Haines, Adam Wainwright
    RP: Ted Wilks, Lindy McDaniel, Todd Worrell, Chuck Taylor, Al Hrabosky

How many games would this team win against 2016 competition if all of these Cardinals players were together in their Cardinals prime?

The way I see it is the starting rotation would be one of the best in baseball with one of the bullpens. The lineup far and away the best in baseball. Incredible bench as well. All that said 115 wins should be possible.
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego

Originally posted by Sockeye View Post
    C: Ted Simmons, Yadier Molina
    1B: Albert Pujols, Johnny Mize
    2B: Rogers Hornsby, Frankie Frisch
    3B: Ken Boyer, Scott Rolen
    SS: Ozzie Smith, Marty Marion
    LF: Stan Musial, Lou Brock, Joe Medwick
    CF: Curt Flood
    RF: Enos Slaughter
    SP: Bob Gibson, Harry Brecheen, Dizzy Dean, Jesse Haines, Adam Wainwright
    RP: Ted Wilks, Lindy McDaniel, Todd Worrell, Chuck Taylor, Al Hrabosky

How many games would this team win against 2016 competition if all of these Cardinals players were together in their Cardinals prime?

The way I see it is the starting rotation would be one of the best in baseball with one of the bullpens. The lineup far and away the best in baseball. Incredible bench as well. All that said 115 wins should be possible.
    I'd put Edmonds over Ford, but good list overall. And Bruce Sutter in the pen. Maybe a few other pen changes as well.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Simmons and Yadi is really a coin flip at the catcher spot.

Comment

I think I'd start Yadier over Simmons. Good list overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
          I'd put Edmonds over Ford, but good list overall. And Bruce Sutter in the pen. Maybe a few other pen changes as well.
          I may in fact be inclined to agree with you on Edmonds, although I think I'd cut Brock before I would Ford. There are lots of good options for the pen. Isringhausen and Hoerner would probably both get the nod ahead of Sutter. Steve Kline wouldn't be far behind with Rosenthal knocking on the door. A case could probably be made for McDaniel, Wilks, & Taylor's removal.
          Location....San Diego

Comment

I'd definitely have Jimmy Edmonds in center ahead of Flood. Terry Moore, too.

In the 'pen I would add Sutter like BA said, and also Lee Smith for sure.

I would drop knuckleballer Pops Haines for either Chris Carpenter, John Tudor, or Mort Cooper.

Lots of guys to compete for some of the spots, but overall a good list.
            "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
              I'd definitely have Jimmy Edmonds in center ahead of Flood. Terry Moore, too.

In the 'pen I would add Sutter like BA said, and also Lee Smith for sure.

I would drop knuckleballer Pops Haines for either Chris Carpenter, John Tudor, or Mort Cooper.

Lots of guys to compete for some of the spots, but overall a good list.
              Terry Moore? :disbelief: over Curt Flood?? Gotta explain your logic on that one.

I'd add Rosenthal and probably Siegrist before Lee Smith. Sure Smith and Sutter are big names and legendary closers but each only played 4 seasons with the Cards and there is more to relieving than just saves.

Of those three I'd be most inclined to add Mort Cooper followed closely by Chris Carpenter with John Tudor a little ways behind. I'd probably take Max Lanier ahead of Cooper though and maybe even Silver King. Jessie Haynes won 210 cards with the Cards so he likely wouldn't be the one I'd drop.
              Last edited by Sockeye; 10-31-2016, 05:56 PM.
              Location....San Diego

Comment

Terry Moore? :disbelief: over Curt Flood?? Gotta explain your logic on that one.

I'd add Rosenthal and probably Siegrist before Lee Smith. Sure Smith and Sutter are big names and legendary closers but each only played 4 seasons with the Cards and there is more to relieving than just saves.

Of those three I'd be most inclined to add Mort Cooper followed closely by Chris Carpenter with John Tudor a little ways behind. I'd probably take Max Lanier ahead of Cooper though and maybe even Silver King. Jessie Haynes won 210 cards with the Cards so he likely wouldn't be the one I'd drop. A better case could be made for Ted Breitenstein being replaced.
                Thats the thing about the staff. There is Gibby and Dean and then about 15 great but not HOFers to pick from. Pretty interchangeable.
                1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Simmons or Yadi, depends if you need offense or defense. I would put Mort Cooper over Pop Haines or maybe move him into the bullpen. Chuck Taylor isn't even close to making this list so I guess there's Haines for you. You know you have a good team when you leave of HOF players like Jim Bottomly, Red Schoendinst and Chick Hafey completely off the list. If you're going to judge it off one year then Willie McGee hands down has center. The outfield as chosen has a lot of versatility as Brock and Medwick can both step into center when needed. Even Musial played some center and right. Putting a 25 man roster together I would get rid of Rolen and replace him with Schoendinst, who could play more positions. Frisch was also versatile. Or if you want a true utility man look at Jimmy Brown.

Comment

Of those three I'd be most inclined to add Mort Cooper followed closely by Chris Carpenter with John Tudor a little ways behind. I'd probably take Max Lanier ahead of Cooper though and maybe even Silver King. Jessie Haynes won 210 cards with the Cards so he likely wouldn't be the one I'd drop.
                    Terry Moore was widely seen in his day as a very fine center fielder, maybe one of the best at that position in the game. He could also hit a bit, tho it was a hitter's time for sure. Sportsman's Park also had a very deep L-CF that he patrolled perfectly. I have nothing against Flood, at all, but i would take Jimmy and Terry over him if the spots are limited.

Bruce Sutter was more than just a saves reliever, and would often come in in the 7th or 8th innings. Whitey Herzog famously said that he only needed to manage for about 6 innings a game, and then he could hand the ball to Bruce. Lee Smith was also much better in his time with us than poor Rosie has been. Smith also never lost his job anchoring our 'pen...

Comment

Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
                      Thats the thing about the staff. There is Gibby and Dean and then about 15 great but not HOFers to pick from. Pretty interchangeable.
                      So true, and that isnt even counting our great 19th century underhand arms on the Browns. I would take any of our fine 1940s, 1960s, 1980s, and 2000s arms over those 19th century guys any day too.

Pops was a fine pitcher, but he was also a knuckleballer. I love those guys, but i would have him in the 'pen if at all. Harry Brecheen, Bill Sherdel, Pete Alexander, Steve Carlton, Joaquin Andujar, Bill Doak, and the aforementioned Max Lanier were all fine arms with the Redbirds as well. And that isn't even getting into the many one-hit wonders we had like my man Bob Tewksbury, Kent Bottenfeld, etc.

LOL, Bottenfeld....

Thanks Angels!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X