Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phil Gagliano, a '64 & '67 St. Louis Cardinals Worlds Champion, passes away at 74

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Gagliano, a '64 & '67 St. Louis Cardinals Worlds Champion, passes away at 74

Phil Gagliano a super utitlityman who played every infield position, plus left field in a 12 year major league career passed away December 19, eight days before his 75th birthday (Dec. 27).
    Gagliano played most often as a second baseman (172 games) and as a third baseman (130 games) in a 704 game major league career (1963 to 1974) but played the other infield positions as well and played 65 MLB games as a left fielder. Like teammate Tim McCarver he was from Memphis, Tennessee.
    He was a product of the Cardinals farm system and played his first eight seasons for the Cardinals (1963-1970) Gagliano hit .259 in 40 games for the Cardinals in 1964, but did not play in the World Series for the World's Champion Cardinals. He became a valuable utilityman and also played in the 1967 & 1968 World Series as a pinch hitter.He had the good fortune to play on contending teams through most of his career. He moved on to the Chicago Cubs in the midst of the 1970 season and later played on contending Boston Red Sox and Cincinnati Reds teams, finishing up his major league career in Cincinnati in 1974. He had the reputation as a slick fielder, who was versatile defensively, but was a light hitting, spray hitter, finishing his career with a .238 lifetime batting average. He hit just 14 career home runs, with 8 of them coming in a single season, 1965. His 411 plate appearances that season marked the year where he received the most playing time by a large mardin.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 12-23-2016, 12:06 PM.

I`m sorry to hear of his passing.He and Tim McCarver were classmates and teammates at the same high school I went to,I was in the same class at that high school with his kid brother.Phil had another brother named Ralph who played one game for the Indians as a pinch runner.McCarver told a funny anecdote about Phil pinch hitting in the`67 Series.Red Schoendienst yelled out for Alex Johnson(to pinch hit)only to have Johnson run up to him with a roast beef sandwich in his hand and some mayo on his cheek,but no bat.He immediately barked out GAGLIANO!Gagliano wasn`t on the 25 man WS roster in 1964.Phil drove in McCarver for his first Big League RBI.

Comment

His family is way too modest about Phil's achievements in their obituary: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/stl...&pid=183187915

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
        I`m sorry to hear of his passing.He and Tim McCarver were classmates and teammates at the same high school I went to,I was in the same class at that high school with his kid brother.Phil had another brother named Ralph who played one game for the Indians as a pinch runner.McCarver told a funny anecdote about Phil pinch hitting in the`67 Series.Red Schoendienst yelled out for Alex Johnson(to pinch hit)only to have Johnson run up to him with a roast beef sandwich in his hand and some mayo on his cheek,but no bat.He immediately barked out GAGLIANO!Gagliano wasn`t on the 25 man WS roster in 1964.Phil drove in McCarver for his first Big League RBI.
        The late, Alex Johnson definitely marched to a "different drummer".

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X