Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 cardinals season

Good start by martinez.

Why doesn't MM pinch hit for him after 6 with bases loaded, one out and a 1 run lead?

Sure he was dealing but shouldn't you trust your bp to hold a two run lead the last 3 innings?
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Originally posted by dominik View Post
    Good start by martinez.

Why doesn't MM pinch hit for him after 6 with bases loaded, one out and a 1 run lead?

Sure he was dealing but shouldn't you trust your bp to hold a two run lead the last 3 innings?
    Probably not versus the Cubs, no.
    2016 World Series Champions

Comment

I still think it was a negative EV play, even a good starter who is dealing is probably not better in the 7th than a reliever and the chance to score with bases loaded and one out is better even with a mediocre pinch hitter.

Of course martinez had a good at bat over 6 to 7 pitches ultimately hitting a ground ball double play but it still was a bad play.
      I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Honestly, I would've let him hit too. Matheny makes a lot of dubious subs and lineups decisions but this is not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerin Hank View Post
          Honestly, I would've let him hit too. Matheny makes a lot of dubious subs and lineups decisions but this is not one of them.
          Yeah - that one is justifiable, even if not in-line with win probability. Right or wrong - that is the decision a large majority of managers make.

Double switching pitchers into the cleanup spot (frequently) and allowing a closer who clearly doesn't have it to throw 40 pitches with a good pen behind him? Yup - that is the MM we all know and love.
          1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
          The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Just glanced over the box scores today, and nothing great to see in our blow out loss to the Reds. But, it was neat to see some former 'Birds doing well:

David Freese -- Started off on fire in Pittsburgh, but hasn't started the past couple games.

Albert Pujols -- Started the Angels' big 7-run walkoff win at home vs the Mariners with his first HR of '17, then tied the game with 2 out and a 2-run single to right.

Matt Holliday -- Doin' alright in the Bronx, had 5 walks in 5 trips to the plate last night for the Yankees.

Matt Hazelbaker -- The legend, lol. He is batting over .800 right now. The greatest player EVER! Just kidding.

Jayson Heyward -- Back in RF for the Cubs, and I think he had 3 hits last night in their 4th win.

Jon Jay -- Playing CF for the Cubs, and I think he got a hit.
            "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Early in the season but still the same problems are around. Still have a lot of season left to turn it around but I don't think Oquendo is the 3rd base coach anymore which will probably hurt the defense....again.

Comment

Yeah, some of the Redbird games so far have been painful to see. I should just watch the 80-some games we will win this year. Forget these losses.
                "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

I feel like injuries are a big issue once again. Too many key players on the DL. Of course when I just tried to look up who they have on the DL I couldn't find any sites that have that info. Did Foxsports, ESPN, and MLB stop listing this info or is this just another instance of sites being unnavigable via mobile device? I hate technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerin Hank View Post
                    I feel like injuries are a big issue once again. Too many key players on the DL. Of course when I just tried to look up who they have on the DL I couldn't find any sites that have that info. Did Foxsports, ESPN, and MLB stop listing this info or is this just another instance of sites being unnavigable via mobile device? I hate technology.
                    I think the only projected top-25 guy before the season started on the DL is Reyes? I guess Tyler Lyons is hurt too - but he is a fringe MLBer anyway. Rosie missed a few games, but he is back. This is probably the healthiest the franchise has been in a half-a-decade.

The Blue Jays are 1-7 and the Twins are in first place. If this stretch happened in the middle of July - nobody cares or notices. The perception of things that happen out of the gate is always skewed.

This is a decent team that has played 6/9 vs. great teams so far and has played a few clunkers combined with some bad luck. Nothing more and noting less. I pegged them for about 85 wins again at the beginning of the season and not a ingle thing that has happened so far has caused me to change those projections one bit.
                    Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 04-14-2017, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
                      I think the only projected top-25 guy before the season started on the DL is Reyes? I guess Tyler Lyons is hurt too - but he is a fringe MLBer anyway. Rosie missed a few games, but he is back. This is probably the healthiest the franchise has been in a half-a-decade.

The Blue Jays are 1-7 and the Twins are in first place. If this stretch happened in the middle of July - nobody cares or notices. The perception of things that happen out of the gate is always skewed.

This is a decent team that has played 6/9 vs. great teams so far and has played a few clunkers combined with some bad luck. Nothing more and noting less. I pegged them for about 85 wins again at the beginning of the season and not a ingle thing that has happened so far has caused me to change those projections one bit.
                      I must've thought there were more because Piscotty missed a few games here and there.

Comment

Sorry, folks, I think our good times are over. I will be very surprised if the Cards spend a single day this season above last place in the division. What you see is a flashback tgo the days of the Ray Lankford Cardinals, without Lankford.

It was clear last year that there were problems,none of which have been fixed. Holliday and Garcia are gone, replaced by nobody, and Heyward replaced by Fowler, in effect, with nothing gained but a salary burden. The bullpen is throwing batting practice.

As fans, we think we have some good talent, but seriously, if these guys came to town in visitors uniforms, we'd be saying Who the hell are these guys? We've got the best leadoff man in baseball, but he's batting third. Somebody ask MM why he has a natural fielder playing first base and a natural first baseman playing in the outfield, when he wants Carpenter and Adams bats in the lineup, after saying his objective is to improve defense. I cant see anybody hitting 30 HR, probably not even 25. They still strike out at the rate of one per inning. They are still the worst defense in baseball, Yadier can't throw anymore, nothing else has changed, they still can't steal a base.

I don't see a single bright spot, not even one. This outfit is just awful, if every player on the roster had a career year, they'd still be a .500 team. Matheny couldn't manage the '27 Yankees to a wild card.

I'lll take it back. One bright spot is Fryer back on the roster. Mo threw him away last year, and when a backup catcher was needed, they didn't have one. That one game they could have won cost them the playoff spot.

Where are Royce Clayton and John Frascatore when you need them? And the worst part is we still need to listen to Hrabosky, and Edmunds is even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by jtur88 View Post
                          Sorry, folks, I think our good times are over. I will be very surprised if the Cards spend a single day this season above last place in the division. What you see is a flashback tgo the days of the Ray Lankford Cardinals, without Lankford.

It was clear last year that there were problems,none of which have been fixed. Holliday and Garcia are gone, replaced by nobody, and Heyward replaced by Fowler, in effect, with nothing gained but a salary burden. The bullpen is throwing batting practice.

As fans, we think we have some good talent, but seriously, if these guys came to town in visitors uniforms, we'd be saying Who the hell are these guys? We've got the best leadoff man in baseball, but he's batting third. Somebody ask MM why he has a natural fielder playing first base and a natural first baseman playing in the outfield, when he wants Carpenter and Adams bats in the lineup, after saying his objective is to improve defense. I cant see anybody hitting 30 HR, probably not even 25. They still strike out at the rate of one per inning. They are still the worst defense in baseball, Yadier can't throw anymore, nothing else has changed, they still can't steal a base.

I don't see a single bright spot, not even one. This outfit is just awful, if every player on the roster had a career year, they'd still be a .500 team. Matheny couldn't manage the '27 Yankees to a wild card.

I'lll take it back. One bright spot is Fryer back on the roster. Mo threw him away last year, and when a backup catcher was needed, they didn't have one. That one game they could have won cost them the playoff spot.

Where are Royce Clayton and John Frascatore when you need them? And the worst part is we still need to listen to Hrabosky, and Edmunds is even worse.
                          We had a good run from 2000-2015. Guess you can put 2016 in there if you want since they nearly made the 2nd wildcard spot.

Oh well. Let's go Gateway Grizzlies.

Comment

Wow! People love them some hot takes during the first two weeks of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
                              Wow! People love them some hot takes during the first two weeks of the season.
                              I love to rip on the Cards, being a Cubs fan, but I agree. By no means should you ever count them out this early. Especially this team. Honestly, I'd be surprised if they finished anything other than second place still. And that's a good scenario for still making the playoffs. Discount them if you must, but history has taught me too well.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X