Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally have some good news about the Nats...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally have some good news about the Nats...

This is not going to affect the Nat fans who live outside the Washington area, but...Nat s games will be broadcast on 1500AM/107.7 FM next year.

Last year, one of the things that stuck in Nats' fans craws was that their games were broadcast on a very weak station in the D.C. area---Z104 FM. I was relatively lucky since I live in Silver Spring, and I didn't have that much trouble picking up games at home (although tuning in my radio to the right frequency was tricky), but it irked me that the Nats were on a second-rate station while the Blo's were being broadcast on the biggest sports radio station in the D.C. area. To add salt in our wounds, Z104 was owned by Bonneville which also owned powerful radio station WTOP 1500 AM. (In fact, it was WTOP which first broadcast Orioles games in the D.C. area starting in 1980. They dumped the Orioles about a decade ago because they wanted to focus exclusively on 24-hour news.)

Now there is going to be a big shuffling going on. WTOP is abandoning the AM format and will be moving to 103.5 FM, which is currently classical radio station WGMS. WGMS will move to Z104 or 104.1 FM. Rock fans of Z104 will just have to switch to DC101 or Classic Rock 94.7.

What about 1500AM/107.7 FM? That is going to be a new Washington Post Radio. I don't know what the format will be outside of Nats games nor do I know what the call letters will be, but this station has a POWERFUL signal which at night I believe can be heard as far away as Montréal. The next sound you hear is Peter Angelos throwing up.

Eddie Cunningham
    20 20

Finally---something Nats and Birds fans can agree on!

Originally posted by eddiejc1
    This is not going to affect the Nat fans who live outside the Washington area, but...Nat s games will be broadcast on 1500AM/107.7 FM next year.

Last year, one of the things that stuck in Nats' fans craws was that their games were broadcast on a very weak station in the D.C. area---Z104 FM. I was relatively lucky since I live in Silver Spring, and I didn't have that much trouble picking up games at home (although tuning in my radio to the right frequency was tricky), but it irked me that the Nats were on a second-rate station while the Blo's were being broadcast on the biggest sports radio station in the D.C. area. To add salt in our wounds, Z104 was owned by Bonneville which also owned powerful radio station WTOP 1500 AM. (In fact, it was WTOP which first broadcast Orioles games in the D.C. area starting in 1980. They dumped the Orioles about a decade ago because they wanted to focus exclusively on 24-hour news.)

Now there is going to be a big shuffling going on. WTOP is abandoning the AM format and will be moving to 103.5 FM, which is currently classical radio station WGMS. WGMS will move to Z104 or 104.1 FM. Rock fans of Z104 will just have to switch to DC101 or Classic Rock 94.7.

What about 1500AM/107.7 FM? That is going to be a new Washington Post Radio. I don't know what the format will be outside of Nats games nor do I know what the call letters will be, but this station has a POWERFUL signal which at night I believe can be heard as far away as Montréal. The next sound you hear is Peter Angelos throwing up.

Eddie Cunningham
    That means I can hear them!!!!!!
    what channel?
    Cristobal

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
      That means I can hear them!!!!!!
      what channel?
      It's 1500 AM or 107.7 FM. The call letters are currently WTOP, but presumedly that will change. Of course, since you live outside the Washington area, you can listen to games on the internet, or get them via satellite radio. The radio deal is supposedly for more than one year, which means that the powers-that-be anticipate the Nats staying in town beyond 2006.

And while this is second-hand news, supposedly Adrian Fenty has said he believes a deal will be struck with MLB before arbitration to allow the stadium to get built. May be a lot of talk, but if Fenty---one of the staunchest stadium opponents and currently the most likely candidate to be the next mayor of D.C.---is willing to compromise, there may be hope this thing can be salvaged.

Eddie Cunningham
      20 20

Comment

Thanks for the update Eddie. Like you I had no problem picking up Z104 so for the first time in years I spent part of my summer evenings listening to BASEBALL games in the evening!

Since WTOP-AM is a "clear-channel" station, wilkerson_rulz "should" be able to pick up the games in Quebec (depending on atmospheric conditions).

A number of years ago, when the Capitals games were carried on WTOP, a number of the Caps Canadian players families would listen to the games regularly. Then the Caps games were moved to another radio station (I've since forgotten which one.) and the families could no longer tune in the games due to the station having a weaker signal.
        "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Originally posted by Aa3rt
          Thanks for the update Eddie. Like you I had no problem picking up Z104 so for the first time in years I spent part of my summer evenings listening to BASEBALL games in the evening!

Since WTOP-AM is a "clear-channel" station, wilkerson_rulz "should" be able to pick up the games in Quebec (depending on atmospheric conditions).

A number of years ago, when the Capitals games were carried on WTOP, a number of the Caps Canadian players families would listen to the games regularly. Then the Caps games were moved to another radio station (I've since forgotten which one.) and the families could no longer tune in the games due to the station having a weaker signal.
          I even catch the Maryland News!
          Its too bad Elliot Price couldn't broadcast the Nats games. he was good for the Expos.
          Right now, he's one of the many stars on Montreal's sport channel.
          Last edited by wilkerson_rulz-06; 01-05-2006, 05:18 PM.
          Cristobal

Comment

I've picked up WTOP as far north as Quebec, and as far south as Myrtle Beach. This is good news.

Comment

Originally posted by Peorgie T
              I've picked up WTOP as far north as Quebec, and as far south as Myrtle Beach. This is good news.
              Where do you live Peorgie T?
              Montreal, like me?
              Cristobal

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
                Where do you live Peorgie T?
                Montreal, like me?
                Nope, DC area. I was driving from Montreal to VT one summer night years ago, and heard the golden voice of Jon Miller calling an Orioles game on WTOP.

Comment

Looks like the call letters to 1500 AM and 107.7 FM will be WTWP. Obviously, that stands for The Washington Post. I also note that this deal is not final, and I wonder if the lease negotiations will have any effect. If the Nats turn the Post down and sign a one-year deal with a low-powered radio station that absolutely, positively CANNOT be heard in Baltimore, I will be seriously ticked off!

Eddie Cunningham
                  20 20

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X