Soriano staying???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soriano staying???

Whatever is in bold is important, we can't lose Soriano.
    If we do, we'll have lost Wilky, Sledge Galaragga AND Soriano.

from mlb.com
    Salary arbitration: Between now and Jan. 15, players eligible for salary arbitration can file for third-party assistance through the Major League Players Association.

As of Saturday, there were 113 eligible players, including 2005 All-Stars Brian Roberts (Orioles), Mark Teixeira (Rangers), Dontrelle Willis (Marlins), Brad Lidge (Astros) and Alfonso Soriano (Nationals).

Players with at least three years of MLB experience and are not "officially" signed for the 2006 season or beyond, exchange salary arbitration figures with their respective clubs on Jan. 18 and can continue to negotiate until their pre-assigned hearing begins. Salary arbitration hearings are held from Feb. 1-21, but seldom do they actually occur.
    Just three cases went to hearings in 2005, the fewest since arbitration began in 1974. The previous low was five -- in 1997 and again in 2002. Owners lead the players 265-198 overall and won two of the three cases last year, running their "winning" streak to nine consecutive years.

Twins pitcher Kyle Lohse was the lone player to win, receiving $2.4 million instead of the team's $2.15 million offer. The right-handed starter is eligible again this year.

Avoiding salary arbitration can be expensive. Cincinnati outfielder Adam Dunn received the steepest raise in '05, a 934-percent hike from $445,000 to $4.6 million. Colorado pitcher Jason Jennings was just behind, getting a 929-percent raise, from $340,000 to an average of $3.5 million in a two-year contract.

Salary arbitration became part of the baseball dictionary in the 1973 Collective Bargaining Agreement between the owners and players. The owners prevailed in 16 of the 29 salary arbitration cases in '74, although all the affected players received raises.

The system was tweaked three years later due to free agency. Players with between three and six years of MLB service, plus the most senior 17 percent of those with between two and three years, are eligible for salary arbitration. Players not eligible must ultimately either accept the club's last offer or have his contract renewed at whatever salary the club specifies.
    Cristobal

He may be gone sooner than you think. Just found this on Rotoworld:

"With the Nationals showing interest in Corey Patterson, the Cubs could revisit the possibility of acquiring Alfonso Soriano.
    The Nationals may very well have to trade Soriano, who is still refusing to play the outfield, but their asking price is going to be extremely high right now. It's hard to imagine Jim Bowden going for the Chicago Tribune's suggestion of Patterson and Jerome Williams for him. The Cubs would play Soriano at second base should they find a way to acquire him. They're likely to trade Todd Walker whether they get Soriano or not."
    Source: Chicago Tribune

In my opinion, thats a horrible trade for us. Corey Patterson will do absolutely nothing at RFK, but I like the fact of Jerome Williams. A young pitcher who will have a good future. Add in a few more pitching prospects and I'm all for this deal.
    :atthepc
    "Hey crazy eyes I brought your pizza"
    "Mmm oreos and gumballs"

Comment

The time to trade Soriano, if that is what you want to do, is now. Once RFK crucifies his traditional strong stats his value will drop a lot.

I think it is also clear that Soriano will be gone at the end of the year to free agency. I just don't see this guy signing with anyone but the highest bidder.
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Soriano is NOT repeat NOT going to be traded for (excuse me) two crappy players: Walkerr and Williams, even Patterson. Jim Bowden wouldn't dare pull a Preston Wilson...again! If Soriano is indeed traded, we will receive talent. Bowden will either trade him before the season or at the trade deadline.

Go figure
        Cristobal

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan25Zimmerman
          With the Nationals showing interest in Corey Patterson, the Cubs could revisit the possibility of acquiring Alfonso Soriano.
          Cubs already traded Patterson to Baltimore.
          The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
          Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

Originally posted by KingJ
            Oh yeah? for who?

Didn't hear this.
            Cristobal

Comment

Originally posted by KingJ
              yeah I just saw that. Stupid Rotoworld.
              They got two no name prospects for him I think
              "Mmm oreos and gumballs"

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
                Oh yeah? for who?

Didn't hear this.

Just for a pair of minor leaguers (and to think it was suggested that we trade Soriano for him!). It's all over the news:

Yahoo! Sports Report
                MLB.com Article
                ESPN.com

Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

It doesn't look like contract negotiations are going to well between Bowden and Soriano. Sori is pushing for 12M a year but Bowden wants to keep it 10M and under. I wonder how this will play out.
                  http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...=.jsp&c_id=was

WASHINGTON -- The Nationals exchanged salary arbitration figures with second baseman Alfonso Soriano on Tuesday.

The parties are $2 million apart. The Nationals are offering $10 million, while Soriano is looking for a $12 million payday. Last season, Soriano made $7.5 million and hit .268 with 36 home runs and 104 RBIs for the Rangers.

The Nationals acquired the right-handed-hitting Soriano from Texas in December for outfielders Brad Wilkerson and Terrmel Sledge and right-handed pitcher Armando Galarraga.

Arbitration hearings are scheduled for February, but Washington and Soriano can settle on a contract anytime prior to the player's hearing.

Nationals general manager Jim Bowden said that he will settle Soriano's contract situation with agent Diego Bentz before addressing the fact that Soriano does not want to switch from second base to the outfield.

"Diego and I have agreed that we are going to attempt to do the contract before we continue to the second issue," Bowden said. "[The position switch] is a very sensitive issue with Alfonso. We respect him, we respect his opinions and we respect his baseball abilities as a player. That will show with our contract with him or arbitration case with him.

"We don't want it to be a soap opera through the media. ... We are also very sensitive to how we can build a baseball team the best way we possibly can. We usually care about the name in front of the jersey more than the back of the jersey. That's what it's all about."
                  "Mmm oreos and gumballs"

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan25Zimmerman
                    It doesn't look like contract negotiations are going to well between Bowden and Soriano. Sori is pushing for 12M a year but Bowden wants to keep it 10M and under. I wonder how this will play out.
                    Most of the arbitrators side with the team, but there are a few with little understanding of baseball and just go by the W-L totals for pitchers and HRs for hitters.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X