Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If André Dawson is inducted into the Hall of Fame...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If André Dawson is inducted into the Hall of Fame...

...I assume it will be as an Expo than a Cub. The Cubs
    have PLENTY of HoFs inducted, including Synberg. Barring
    a miracle, it does not look like there will be any Montréal
    Expos up for the Hall of Fame after ten years or so. How
    many here think he will or should be inducted?

Eddie Cunningham
    20 20

Finally---something Nats and Birds fans can agree on!

Originally posted by eddiejc1
    ...I assume it will be as an Expo than a Cub. The Cubs
    have PLENTY of HoFs inducted, including Synberg. Barring
    a miracle, it does not look like there will be any Montréal
    Expos up for the Hall of Fame after ten years or so. How
    many here think he will or should be inducted?

Eddie Cunningham
    Andre deserves to be inducted in the HOF.
    He had a brilliant career.
    Cristobal

Comment

I'm not sure, but I think it's up to the player as to which team's hat is on the plaque. He had great years with both teams; I'd like to see him go. There are no mortal locks that become eligible this year, so some of the dark horses such as Dawson might have a better chance. He was only on 52% of the ballots last year though.

Comment

Originally posted by Peorgie T
        I'm not sure, but I think it's up to the player as to which team's hat is on the plaque. He had great years with both teams; I'd like to see him go. There are no mortal locks that become eligible this year, so some of the dark horses such as Dawson might have a better chance. He was only on 52% of the ballots last year though.
        The Hall of Fame can overrule the player, as they did in the case of Gary Carter and Wade Boggs. Carter asked to be inducted as a Met, and the HoF inducted him as an Expo. I suspect part of the reason was that he played most of his career in Montréal, but also because they knew the Expos were going to move. Wade Boggs asked to be inducted as a Devil Ray because his contract gives him a bonus if his Hall of Fame cap shows him in a Tampa Bay cap. They put him in a Red Sox cap. Normally I would say that's appropriate, but I don't think any Red Sox fan will ever forgive him for signing with the Yankees.

Eddie Cunningham
        20 20

Comment

Dawson wants to go in as a Cub, mostly because he says that the artificial turf in Montreal almost ruined his career as a player. In his case, where going in as a Cub does make some sense, I doubt the HOF will overrule him.

Anyway, I don't think Dawson should be inducted. I wrote a bit about this subject on the HOF Talk forum. Here's just one post I made:

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showpo...3&postcount=15

Comment

Originally posted by 538280
            Dawson wants to go in as a Cub, mostly because he says that the artificial turf in Montreal almost ruined his career as a player. In his case, where going in as a Cub does make some sense, I doubt the HOF will overrule him.[/url]
            The HoF can and did overrule players in the case of Gary Carter and Wade Boggs. Of course, it's a moot point if he is not inducted.

Eddie Cunningham
            20 20

Comment

Originally posted by eddiejc1
              The HoF can and did overrule players in the case of Gary Carter and Wade Boggs. Of course, it's a moot point if he is not inducted.

Eddie Cunningham
              I know that, but in this case it is unlikely that they will. First off, they'd much rather have a Cub inducted than an Expo because it will attract more people to the ceremonies. Second, although he certainly did have more career value with the Expos, he had almost as much value with the Cubs and he won an MVP award there (although undeserved). He posted better raw numbers in the seasons with the Cubs as well, although that is entirely due to the offensive context he played in. Inducting Dawson as a Cub would not be a completely out there decision, like inducting Carter as a Met or Boggs as a Devil Ray would have been.

I would bet Carter and Tim Raines will end up being the only Expos in the HOF.

And oh yeah here's another post I made on Dawson:

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showpo...1&postcount=13
              Last edited by 538280; 01-08-2006, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X