Outlook - 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook - 2006

Okay, we're 12 days from pitchers and catchers reporting and here's my perception of the Nats 25-man roster for the coming season. Barring any blockbuster deals, that is.

SP: Livan, Patterson, Ortiz and Lawrence are likely 1-4, with Armas and Drese fighting it out for the #5 spot. The loser will go to the pen and be available in case of injury.

RP: Cordero, Eischen, Majewski and Stanton are most likely definites, but there are up to 11 others looking to fill up to 3 spots. Depending on whether Frank carries 6 or 7 in the pen.

C: Schneider will be the 'everyday'. I'm thinking that Fick might be the back-up, with DiFelice a possible.

IF: Johnson Is probably the only "definite" right now. 3B is Zimmerman's as long as he performs.

There's going to be a fight over 2B and SS. Will Vidro or Soriano be the everyday? That may be determined only by a trade. As I really don't see Soriano playing the OF, as the fallout will be cancerous to the chemistry. One or the other will have to go.

With the acquisition of Clayton, Guzman will come to camp with the knowledge that he's already on the bubble. If he picks up where he left off in Sept, the job is his, falter and he's automatically trade bait.

OF: Jose Guillen will definitely be in the OF, somewhere. That's the only "sure thing" at this point in time. Church and Byrd could be the other two, barring trades or last minute FA signings. Tucker and Watson might turn out to be the back-ups.

Other items: Fick will probably make the 25-man because he can back up at C, 1B and OF. Marlon Anderson fits into the same category by virtue of his 1B, 2B and OF talents. Jamie Carroll might have the inside track on a spot since he can play 2B, SS and 3B. With the flexibility these three offer, there is a possibility you might see a pitching staff of 12.

Outside of Guillen and Soriano, if he sticks, I don't see a whole lot of 'power' here. Johnson, Schneider and Vidro can hit the long ball but are very sporadic and can't be counted on to hit more than 15 each, tops.

I'd like to project a line-up for the season, but at this point, the only probables I see are Johnson and Guillen in the 3 and 4 spots.
    CBk Oldtimer #16 now #29

Originally posted by Monarchs29
    Outside of Guillen and Soriano, if he sticks, I don't see a whole lot of 'power' here. Johnson, Schneider and Vidro can hit the long ball but are very sporadic and can't be counted on to hit more than 15 each, tops.
    We don't need great power at RFK-no one, not even other teams-can hit home runs there. What we really need is good pitching that can take advantage of the park and lots of guys who can get on base. Johnson is the key. If he can have a breakout year our offense should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by 538280
      We don't need great power at RFK-no one, not even other teams-can hit home runs there. What we really need is good pitching that can take advantage of the park and lots of guys who can get on base. Johnson is the key. If he can have a breakout year our offense should be good.
      My thoughts exactly
      :atthepc
      "Hey crazy eyes I brought your pizza"
      "Mmm oreos and gumballs"

Comment

Power = useless for us. We need to have players that can get walks, hit singles, steal bases, and get the small RBIs which won the majority of our games last year.
        The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
        Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X