Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't want to get anybody's hopes up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is more info on the emergency legislation. I've got a sinking feeling about this. Mendelson claims that none of the eight "no" votes have changed, and I believe he is one of the softest "no"s in the bunch.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020601396.html

Eddie Cunningham
    20 20

Finally---something Nats and Birds fans can agree on!

Comment

Where do you think the Nats will be playing next year? Las Vegas? Did you hear the knuckleheaded councilman on the news tonight? Thank God I only have to endure slow death by the Phillies cause the sucking chest wound the Nats will leave when they depart DC will be absolutely fatal to baseball fans in the area.
      The Phillies Barstool Lives!

Comment

I don't think all is lost. The Federal budget passed the $20 million for the Navy Yard station upgrade. D.C. will vote itself $100 million per year for ten years to overhaul the school system. Things are lining up to get the votes needed.

Comment

Originally posted by ed hardiman
          Where do you think the Nats will be playing next year? Las Vegas? Did you hear the knuckleheaded councilman on the news tonight? Thank God I only have to endure slow death by the Phillies cause the sucking chest wound the Nats will leave when they depart DC will be absolutely fatal to baseball fans in the area.
          Should the ma fa chest wizzle prove fatal, save a seat at the Stool for me, ed. Fire me up a Uguey dog and the large Ballentine.

Comment

This is just a pathetic show. Poor DC. h

Well there is still achance that the next step would be binding arbitration if the the DC Council fails to approve the compromise developed during mediation. MLB still has a contract with DC.

Comment

Cropp will offer emergency legialation to cap the stadium only costs at $300. Emergency legislation needs a 9-4 vote to pass. Would she offer such a bill if she knew it were to be voted down?

"We're trying to determine how we can effectuate a cap that has real meaning," said Vincent C. Gray (D-Ward 7), who is considered a swing vote among mayoral aides. "We want to approve our own cap and let them conform the lease to that."
              As a swing vote, Gray ( from the Washington Post) sounds willing to pass the Cropp cap and the lease.

Also from the Post-
              "There is a lot the mayor has not delivered," said Kwame R. Brown (D-At Large), another swing vote. "There's a lot of work left to be done."
              Brown also sounds open to the Cropp and lease agreement.

David A. Catania (I-At Large) said the cap offered by the mayor "will just postpone the day of reckoning until the true costs are known. This is not a cap on the costs but an accounting sleight of hand."
              Catania (again, the Post), always a vocal opponent of new stadium, is speaking here of Mayor Williams cap, not the one Cropp will offer. I think its actually encouraging for Catania to not dismiss a Cropp cap out of hand. But no way I would actually count on his vote.

The order of the vote will be important. From what I gather at other sources, just as some council members don't want to be labled as the schmuck who voted in an agreement that wouldn't be good for the city, i.e., casting the seventh yea vote, there are also the political ramifications of being the same schmuck that voted the stadium lease down by casting the seventh nay vote. If the lease is voted down the deal would go to binding arbitration and D.C. would get screwed there.

If it comes down to a tie, look for absentions. If I'm not wrong a tie vote would allow the lease bill to pass.

Comment

Originally posted by eddiejc1
                This does not look good:

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=25&sid=691403

It tells me right off the bat that all the HUGE concessions made have not brought over the seven votes needed, and I have a sickening feeling that even if this emergency legislation were to pass, the other side would make more demands because deep down, they DON'T want a compromise and they DON'T want a stadium. Let's hope there is a "Plan B" in Virginia...

Eddie Cunningham
                Sorry but I'll go to Keys games before I cross the river to see a Nationals game.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dak
                  Sorry but I'll go to Keys games before I cross the river to see a Nationals game.
                  Hopefully, it won't come down to that. But if this lease DOES get passed, I should try to drive to Potomac Nats games just to show solidarity with my fellow fans in Virginia. I don't like traffic, but I'm not afraid to cross the Potomac River!

Eddie Cunningham
                  20 20

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hannah
                    Should the ma fa chest wizzle prove fatal, save a seat at the Stool for me, ed. Fire me up a Uguey dog and the large Ballentine.
                    Fo shizzle.
                    You definitely get comped the next time you visit the Barstool.
                    While the DC council should get their greedy mitts off the Nats I never understand why a Kravco or Mall of America can't build a big-ass mall with an attached stadium?
                    Why do we have to pay anything?
                    40,000 employed, middle class people going through your your mall a guaranteed 82 days a year? Plus the Christmas season and any other events they book like concerts, dog shows, & monster truck rallies?
                    It's a blitheringly obvious no brainer dynamic.
                    If baseball doesn't like the idea of the modern MallPark they can step in and fund a stand alone Park from the billions of dollars they're actually are making after the accounting smoke clears.
                    Chuck the hot potato in their laps, my bet is the light switches on in their pig-greedy little heads and MallParks win hands down across America.
                    Besides malls are light years ahead in food court technology...
                    Last edited by ed hardiman; 02-07-2006, 05:16 PM.

Comment

From WTOP:

"Council member Adrian Fenty says that he believes Cropp has enough votes to pass the legislation."

For the moment, let's assume Fenty really said this. Why then, when he is finally telling me something I desperately want to believe is true I STILL DON'T BELIEVE HIM???

Eddie Cunningham
                      20 20

Comment

The bright spot is that Governor Keane is willing to support legislation to get a baseball stadium in Dulles if the D.C. Council blows it, and from what I hear it looks like they are blowing it...

Eddie Cunningham
                        20 20

Comment

I have refused to watch the council, but those that are say that the lease is being defeated 8-5. NOBODY swung over, and if all these concessions didn't do it, I don't think anything else will---even though D.C. will have to pay millions in penalties when this goes to arbitration. Let's just hope that Governor Keane can work out a stadium deal in Dulles to keep the Nats---or will it be the Virginia Senators?---in the Washington area.

Eddie Cunningham
                          20 20

Comment

It's official. The lease is rejected, 5-8. I think MLB needs to forget about trying to persuade Adrian "The MCI Center was a horrible idea" Fenty and friends to build a park---no concessions will EVER satisfy them. The best we can hope for now is that a ballpark plan for Northern Virginia materializes. Otherwise, this team is history.

Eddie Cunningham
                            20 20

Comment

Originally posted by ed hardiman
                              Fo shizzle.
                              You definitely get comped the next time you visit the Barstool.
                              While the DC council should get their greedy mitts off the Nats I never understand why a Kravco or Mall of America can't build a big-ass mall with an attached stadium?
                              Why do we have to pay anything?
                              40,000 employed, middle class people going through your your mall a guaranteed 82 days a year? Plus the Christmas season and any other events they book like concerts, dog shows, & monster truck rallies?
                              It's a blitheringly obvious no brainer dynamic.
                              If baseball doesn't like the idea of the modern MallPark they can step in and fund a stand alone Park from the billions of dollars they're actually are making after the accounting smoke clears.
                              Chuck the hot potato in their laps, my bet is the light switches on in their pig-greedy little heads and MallParks win hands down across America.
                              Besides malls are light years ahead in food court technology...
                              Because Bud and the Lords believe public financing weds a city to the team. The poor billionaire owner shouldn't have to foot any part of the bill.

Pass the cheese fries, please.

If Gov. Kaine pulls through, by 2010 a short drive up 28 North will have Batmanuel and the boys playing pepper for your enjoyment. Nine times a year. Practically in your own backyard.

Rail to Dulles, anyone?
                              Last edited by Bob Hannah; 02-07-2006, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hannah
                                Because Bud and the Lords believe public financing weds a city to the team. The poor billionaire owner shouldn't have to foot any part of the bill.
                                Pass the cheese fries, please.
                                If Gov. Kaine pulls through, by 2010 a short drive up 28 North will have Batmanuel and the boys playing pepper for your enjoyment. Nine times a year. Practically in your own backyard.
                                Rail to Dulles, anyone?
                                I would find that even more convenient than driving all the way down the Prince Willy Parked-Way to see the Po-Nats...Needless to say Bob we'll have to hold a Baseball Fever Choir practice here on game days for the Dulles Nats...I'm right at Lee Highway & 28...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X