Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't want to get anybody's hopes up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ed hardiman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Hannah
    No, not that, eddie. But I do recall "Bullets Fever" by Nils Lofgren, orange jerseys, and Tiny.
    I refer to our guest, the other ed in this thread. He hails from the forum of Phightin' Phillie fame, proprietor extrodonaire of finest saloon ever to hit this message center, a poet laureate (crowned no less by yet another who wears the same wreath of vegetable matter in his hair) and apparently likes sing after imbibing a few.
    For fun, and to get through a bargain basement off season coupled with the whinings of a wannabe second sacker, I find the forum of the Phightin' Phils gets my baseball persona back in whack. I highly recommend it. While you're there, belly up to the Barstool and listen to the regulars as a fly on the wall would. Look around. Soon you'll realize the barkeep is not only a good baseball man but one hell an urban poet. He claims his verbal rhythmic talents are artificially enhanced. I think its the bourbon.
    Thank you Bob for your gracious remarks.
    Baseball Fever replete with the highest caliber of baseball minds and musings is the true repository of the legacy of baseball.
    Where else can you find compelling writers like that Brooklyn Poet Laureate who are every bit as competitive as Ty Cobb in their singular pursuit of baseball truth?
    Contributors who dissect the relative sabermetric value of any player from any era for the simple price of asking the question.
    It even tolerates blustering knuckleheads like myself.
    Invaluable threads like 19th Century Baseball, the Brooklyn Bums, The Phillies & yes those mighty Nats, seamlessly weave divergent points of baseball into a compelling screed for any serious student of the game.
    The Barstool thread, welcomes all, excludes none, embraces all topics and its small measure of success to date reflects the efforts of those same contributors I admire, applaud and look forward to reading daily.
    No need to be a fly on the wall I encourage you Bob as well as anyone else to weigh in at the 'Stool.
    There are no wrong opinions just warm beer and overpriced nachos.
    As the great philosopher Pogo once said and Phillies management teaches us season after mind numbing season:
    We have met the enemy and he is us.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Hannah
    replied
    Originally posted by eddiejc1
    I assume you are referring to the Bullets/Wizards' saying that the opera isn't over until the fat lady sings?...
    Eddie Cunningham
    No, not that, eddie. But I do recall "Bullets Fever" by Nils Lofgren, orange jerseys, and Tiny.

I refer to our guest, the other ed in this thread. He hails from the forum of Phightin' Phillie fame, proprietor extrodonaire of finest saloon ever to hit this message center, a poet laureate (crowned no less by yet another who wears the same wreath of vegetable matter in his hair) and apparently likes sing after imbibing a few.

For fun, and to get through a bargain basement off season coupled with the whinings of a wannabe second sacker, I find the forum of the Phightin' Phils gets my baseball persona back in whack. I highly recommend it. While you're there, belly up to the Barstool and listen to the regulars as a fly on the wall would. Look around. Soon you'll realize the barkeep is not only a good baseball man but one hell an urban poet. He claims his verbal rhythmic talents are artificially enhanced. I think its the bourbon.

Leave a comment:

• eddiejc1
    replied
    After the eleventh hour dramatics from the sh... er, city council we'll see how Baseball reacts.

Vocal talents to go along with your poetic laurels? Quite the Renaissance man.

Sterling.
    I assume you are referring to the Bullets/Wizards' saying that the opera isn't over until the fat lady sings? I've got the weight, but I don't feel like dressing up in drag so the part of Brunhilde in Götterdämerung is appropriate. Fortunately, the finalé to another opera, usually sung by a fat man has the more appropriate line. I can't wait to sing, "The comedy is over!"

Eddie Cunningham

Leave a comment:

• ed hardiman
    replied
    After the eleventh hour dramatics from the sh... er, city council we'll see how Baseball reacts.
    Sterling.
    I can only assume the drubbing they took here forced them to act. I think all of us share a bourbon induced inner Pavarotti...

Leave a comment:

• eddiejc1
    replied
    Tom Boswell lives in the District, but I notice he is not jumping for joy at the last-second lease agreement. This is from the close of his revised column:

"As the sport considers the District's latest version of a stadium lease, it should cut the city precious little slack. If the District does not want the Nats, somebody else will. Maybe even the citizens of a friendly, sensible state just a few miles away."

Eddie Cunningham

Leave a comment:

• Bob Hannah
    replied
    Originally posted by ed hardiman
    I would find that even more convenient than driving all the way down the Prince Willy Parked-Way to see the Po-Nats...Needless to say Bob we'll have to hold a Baseball Fever Choir practice here on game days for the Dulles Nats...I'm right at Lee Highway & 28...

Sterling.

Leave a comment:

• ed hardiman
    replied
    Because Bud and the Lords believe public financing weds a city to the team. The poor billionaire owner shouldn't have to foot any part of the bill.
    Pass the cheese fries, please.
    If Gov. Kaine pulls through, by 2010 a short drive up 28 North will have Batmanuel and the boys playing pepper for your enjoyment. Nine times a year. Practically in your own backyard.
    Rail to Dulles, anyone?
    I would find that even more convenient than driving all the way down the Prince Willy Parked-Way to see the Po-Nats...Needless to say Bob we'll have to hold a Baseball Fever Choir practice here on game days for the Dulles Nats...I'm right at Lee Highway & 28...

Leave a comment:

• Bob Hannah
    replied
    Originally posted by ed hardiman
    Fo shizzle.
    You definitely get comped the next time you visit the Barstool.
    While the DC council should get their greedy mitts off the Nats I never understand why a Kravco or Mall of America can't build a big-ass mall with an attached stadium?
    Why do we have to pay anything?
    40,000 employed, middle class people going through your your mall a guaranteed 82 days a year? Plus the Christmas season and any other events they book like concerts, dog shows, & monster truck rallies?
    It's a blitheringly obvious no brainer dynamic.
    If baseball doesn't like the idea of the modern MallPark they can step in and fund a stand alone Park from the billions of dollars they're actually are making after the accounting smoke clears.
    Chuck the hot potato in their laps, my bet is the light switches on in their pig-greedy little heads and MallParks win hands down across America.
    Besides malls are light years ahead in food court technology...
    Because Bud and the Lords believe public financing weds a city to the team. The poor billionaire owner shouldn't have to foot any part of the bill.

Pass the cheese fries, please.

If Gov. Kaine pulls through, by 2010 a short drive up 28 North will have Batmanuel and the boys playing pepper for your enjoyment. Nine times a year. Practically in your own backyard.

Rail to Dulles, anyone?
    Last edited by Bob Hannah; 02-07-2006, 08:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• eddiejc1
    replied
    It's official. The lease is rejected, 5-8. I think MLB needs to forget about trying to persuade Adrian "The MCI Center was a horrible idea" Fenty and friends to build a park---no concessions will EVER satisfy them. The best we can hope for now is that a ballpark plan for Northern Virginia materializes. Otherwise, this team is history.

Eddie Cunningham

Leave a comment:

• eddiejc1
    replied
    I have refused to watch the council, but those that are say that the lease is being defeated 8-5. NOBODY swung over, and if all these concessions didn't do it, I don't think anything else will---even though D.C. will have to pay millions in penalties when this goes to arbitration. Let's just hope that Governor Keane can work out a stadium deal in Dulles to keep the Nats---or will it be the Virginia Senators?---in the Washington area.

Eddie Cunningham

Leave a comment:

• eddiejc1
    replied
    The bright spot is that Governor Keane is willing to support legislation to get a baseball stadium in Dulles if the D.C. Council blows it, and from what I hear it looks like they are blowing it...

Eddie Cunningham

Leave a comment:

• eddiejc1
    replied
    From WTOP:

"Council member Adrian Fenty says that he believes Cropp has enough votes to pass the legislation."

For the moment, let's assume Fenty really said this. Why then, when he is finally telling me something I desperately want to believe is true I STILL DON'T BELIEVE HIM???

Eddie Cunningham

Leave a comment:

• ed hardiman
    replied
    Should the ma fa chest wizzle prove fatal, save a seat at the Stool for me, ed. Fire me up a Uguey dog and the large Ballentine.
    Fo shizzle.
    You definitely get comped the next time you visit the Barstool.
    While the DC council should get their greedy mitts off the Nats I never understand why a Kravco or Mall of America can't build a big-ass mall with an attached stadium?
    Why do we have to pay anything?
    40,000 employed, middle class people going through your your mall a guaranteed 82 days a year? Plus the Christmas season and any other events they book like concerts, dog shows, & monster truck rallies?
    It's a blitheringly obvious no brainer dynamic.
    If baseball doesn't like the idea of the modern MallPark they can step in and fund a stand alone Park from the billions of dollars they're actually are making after the accounting smoke clears.
    Chuck the hot potato in their laps, my bet is the light switches on in their pig-greedy little heads and MallParks win hands down across America.
    Besides malls are light years ahead in food court technology...
    Last edited by ed hardiman; 02-07-2006, 05:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• eddiejc1
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Dak
    Sorry but I'll go to Keys games before I cross the river to see a Nationals game.
    Hopefully, it won't come down to that. But if this lease DOES get passed, I should try to drive to Potomac Nats games just to show solidarity with my fellow fans in Virginia. I don't like traffic, but I'm not afraid to cross the Potomac River!

Eddie Cunningham

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Dak
    replied
    Originally posted by eddiejc1
    This does not look good:

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=25&sid=691403

It tells me right off the bat that all the HUGE concessions made have not brought over the seven votes needed, and I have a sickening feeling that even if this emergency legislation were to pass, the other side would make more demands because deep down, they DON'T want a compromise and they DON'T want a stadium. Let's hope there is a "Plan B" in Virginia...

Eddie Cunningham
    Sorry but I'll go to Keys games before I cross the river to see a Nationals game.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X