Bullpen conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullpen conundrum

It's not like you can trade an entire relief staff for another team's entire relief staff. But at the moment, it appears it's also not like merely acquiring a closer is enough. And, it's also not like Rizzo has a deep farm system from which to make a deal.

The one thing we have going for us is the division we're playing in.... at least, it doesn't seem we have to make any quick moves due to any threats to our post-season hopes. However, some have said it wears on your team to let this thing persist, and it could have some psychological consequences if left unaddressed for another 6 weeks until the trade deadline.

Me, I'd love to get Melancon back, and I'd think he might come at a discounted price since SF is paying him like they are--which would be okay if they were in contention, but since they aren't, and assuming they have anyone at AA or AAA who might be coming up (???), it maybe could come at a lower prospect cost.

Address the closer first, and I'd even say, before the end of the month... and then if you're still having middle relief concerns at the end of July, see what deals can be made... just imo.
    www.facebook.com/UnifyBaseball

Santiago Cassila from Oakland could be an option for a closer. The A's are 14.5 games out and in last place. If the Nationals acquired him, they would have to pick up his $5 million salary this year and $6 million next year, which isn't too bad. The bad news with Casilla is that he is 36 and his ERA has crept upwards since 2014, while his save totals have gone down since 2015.

Middle relief: Look no farther than Philadelphia. Pat Neshek is on the trade block and wouldn't cost the Nationals more than a AA player. Neshek is also 36, but has an era under 1.00 and has walked only 4 batters in 27 innings. He has plenty of postseason experience and has been the only bright spot in the Phillies bullpen, which is actual worse than the Nats.
    Last edited by Steve Jeltz; 06-19-2017, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I like both of those ideas. More familiar with Neshek since he pitched so much in the WBC in March.

Comment

Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Nationals and several other teams are interested in Neshek. Also in the rumor mill are Tampa Bay's Alex Colome, Miami's A.J. Ramos and the White Sox's David Robertson. Colome, Ramos and Robertson all lead their respective clubs in saves this season.

Comment

Yep. Just saw that, too.

Comment

Another factor working against Washington is that every team will ask for top National prospect Juan Soto. Rizzo can have any of the pitchers mentioned in this thread straight up for Soto. Plus, maybe the team that covets Soto throws in another player to sweeten the pot. Does Rizzo roll the dice and deal the 17 year old Soto to go for it all this year? Personally, I wouldn't because the Nationals need more than one reliever and it would be best to address it in the offseason. It's doubtful that Rizzo can solve all the bullpen issues before the deadline.

Comment

I agree with that. Robles also is going to be a prominent name in those discussions, as he's already been. Now, if Taylor and Goodwin continue to establish themselves as long-term players, and cognizant that you'll get Eaton back, does it make some sense to be a little more willing to let go of Robles?

Comment

Still think Treinen is a dominating pitcher waiting to happen. Yeah, we've been waiting and waiting aannnnnnnnnd waiting some more. But like FP says, that sinker is just unhittable if/when he finally finally finally masters it.

Comment

According to MLB Rumors, Oakland's Sean Doolittle and Ryan Madson are receiving interest from other teams. One or both of them would be good pickups for the Nats. If I could only pick one, I would go after Madson. I'm very familiar with Madson from his years in Philly. Want a set up man? Madson is a premier set up guy. Want a closer? Madson will gladly take the ball in the 9th inning. He recorded 32 saves in 2011 with Philadelphia and 30 last year in Oakland. Madson is a winner, possessing 2 WS rings with the 2008 Phillies and 2015 Royals and would bring plenty of postseason experience. The bad news is that he was out of baseball from 2012-2014 due to a rotator cuff injury, but he has returned to his fine form since his 2015 return. Forget about that game he lost to the Nats earlier this month, it was just a bad outing. If you can't tell, I'm a Madson fan.

Doolittle would be great pickup as well. The southpaw was an All Star in 2014 when he saved 22 games and Doolittle has sported a 1.84 ERA in 16 appearances this year. Looks like Doolittle was out for over a month with an injury, but he has allowed no runs and only 1 hit in 7 appearances since coming of the DL in earlier this month. Overall, he has struck out 22 and walked 1 in 14 innings.
                  Last edited by Steve Jeltz; 06-29-2017, 08:26 PM.

Comment

I'm pulling my hair out over Treinen. Such good pitches, but he can't eliminate the sucky pitches.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Jeltz View Post
                      According to MLB Rumors, Oakland's Sean Doolittle and Ryan Madson are receiving interest from other teams. One or both of them would be good pickups for the Nats. If I could only pick one, I would go after Madson. I'm very familiar with Madson from his years in Philly. Want a set up man? Madson is a premier set up guy. Want a closer? Madson will gladly take the ball in the 9th inning. He recorded 32 saves in 2011 with Philadelphia and 30 last year in Oakland. Madson is a winner, possessing 2 WS rings with the 2008 Phillies and 2015 Royals and would bring plenty of postseason experience. The bad news is that he was out of baseball from 2012-2014 due to a rotator cuff injury, but he has returned to his fine form since his 2015 return. Forget about that game he lost to the Nats earlier this month, it was just a bad outing. If you can't tell, I'm a Madson fan.

Doolittle would be great pickup as well. The southpaw was an All Star in 2014 when he saved 22 games and Doolittle has sported a 1.84 ERA in 16 appearances this year. Looks like Doolittle was out for over a month with an injury, but he has allowed no runs and only 1 hit in 7 appearances since coming of the DL in earlier this month. Overall, he has struck out 22 and walked 1 in 14 innings.
                      More stoking of that rumor tonight:

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/07/15/...ean-doolittle/

Comment

Rizzo needs to do something after they nearly blew a 10-0 lead last night. Where have you gone Chad Cordero?

Comment

That there is still talk that Rizzo might not be finished suggests to me that there is another deal out there that he felt was pretty close to getting done.

But this deal just made takes some of the pressure off of making that other deal, and maybe in a sense gives him some new leverage in negotiating with the other team. I'd like to see another deal if it can be as relatively painless as the one we just made with the A's. Feel like we want to go into the post-season with our bullpen being arguably as good in the 2nd half of the season as the Dodgers. I'm super-pissed that LA is getting so widely regarded as the league's best team in the media. They'll go into the NLCS with the psychological wind at their backs, having beaten us last year, and the best way to beat back that wind is to just turn on the after burners.

And of course, when you think we're at 20 games over 500, but could legitimately be 30 games over had our bullpen been decent, it's then not so hard to imagine that our engines are ready to roar.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X