Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call me foolish but I still think Nats will add a starter

Stras is questionable again.
    Roark has yet to link a series of good starts together.
    Ross is gone, of course.
    Mixed results thus far with the Jackson addition.
    Fedde is an unknown, and/but moreover, wasn't regarded as blazing through this season and banging on the big league door.
    No other AAA options giving any cause for optimism.

There's just too much uncertainty here, in a year that feels like they're on the cusp of legitimately competing for the big trophy.

My thinking is that they acquire a middle-shelf starter who they also wouldn't think twice about putting in the pen if everything goes well with Stras, Roark and Fedde (or Jackson).

Here's a name that fits the profile I'm thinking of: Dan Straily (Marlins). Not great, not bad, but seemingly cheap both in terms of trade compensation and in terms of salary, and controllable through 2020 if I understand correctly. What's more, his first time through the line-up numbers suggest he would be an asset if ever moved to the pen (.635 opponent OPS first time through line-up, 4.2 SO/W ratio).
    Last edited by _sturt_; 07-28-2017, 09:13 AM.
    www.facebook.com/UnifyBaseball

Per WaPo beat writer, need a starter for Wednesday since Stras won't be off the DL yet.

Just sayin.

I advocated Straily above, but let me throw out another name: Jhoulys Chacin (SDP). Rental, has good WHIP, used to starting, but as recently as last season pitched in relief while he was with the Angels.

Comment

Kept waiting to learn that there was some other acquisition beyond Kintzler, but wasn't to be.

Maybe I'm over-reacting, but under the circumstances, I can't help but feel we're going to regret not acquiring someone who can fill a Matt Belisle type of role--starter as needed, but otherwise camping out with the bullpen guys.

As said above, there's just too much uncertainty in that rotation.

Don't get me wrong--no worries that the 5th starter is someone who another team just cut a few weeks ago, so much, as the fact that we really don't have any good alternatives if Roark struggles and if Stras goes down again. Cole and Fedde and Turner are all maybe possibly assets later on, but they're almost certainly not assets we can count on this season. We needed one more guy like Chacin.

*grrrrrrr*

Comment

The old adage of "you can never have enough pitching" applies to the Nationals. Compare how the rotation stacked up at the beginning of the year to now. If Max or Gio go down and Strasburg is out for awhile, the Nationals are looking at the inconsistent Roark as the number 2 starter and Edwin Jackson as their number 3. It's amazing that Rizzo was able to fix the bullpen and yet another leak springs up in the rotation.

I was thinking over the past couple of days if it would have been wise to go after Sonny Gray with the Strasburg injury and Roark's problems. While I think Gray is overrated, maybe Rizzo should have bit the bullet and parted with Soler or Soto. The Nationals are gunning for the WS this year and you may as cash all your chips in.

Comment

I've been content with the idea of some mid-rotation guy b/c I think our offense is just that good that we'd be capable of winning a Game 3 with a JAG. It just seemed more realistic to think that both from a salary and a prospect cost perspective, it was do-able.

I can only think and hope that Rizzo perceives there will be some of that kind of talent on the market that gets through waivers this new month.

Comment

Scherzer left tonight's game with neck spasms. At least it wasn't his arm, but neck issues can cause pitching mechanic problems. Let's hope Max is alright.

Comment

I can breathe.

But I do love the timing... keeps the issue front-and-center, and so you'd have to think, likely to be addressed. Love to see Cole and/or Fedde to suddenly rise up and on their own address it, of course.

Comment

Cole showed some flashes tonight with the strikeouts, but the walks did him in. If A.J. wants to be a part of this team, he has a golden opportunity right now that may not be there again.

Comment

I think a reliever made more sense unless they were getting an ace.

if scherzer and strasburg are not fit in the playoffs the nats are done anyway and a 4 starter doesn't help them much.

and while pitching depth is always good the nats are running away with the division and they will do that even with an AAA scrub at number 5.

what they could have done is sending away robles and soto for gray or one of them for darvish but that would have been a big cost.
                  I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                    I think a reliever made more sense unless they were getting an ace.

if scherzer and strasburg are not fit in the playoffs the nats are done anyway and a 4 starter doesn't help them much.

and while pitching depth is always good the nats are running away with the division and they will do that even with an AAA scrub at number 5.

what they could have done is sending away robles and soto for gray or one of them for darvish but that would have been a big cost.
                    Agree with that last part. Not thinking the Lerners were prepared to pay for even Darvish, so I think that on its own eliminated the idea of a top of the rotation guy... if you're not paying money, you're paying in prospects, of course, and Rizzo clearly is very reluctant right now to give up very much until the farm can get built back up.

I also agree that any acquisition at this point has to be a difference maker in the post-season.

I would disagree, though, that a mid-rotation starter doesn't help much--ie, because of how vulnerable we are, and because of our offense. It is not hard to imagine this year that Stras goes down at the wrong time and/or that Roark and/or Jackson go into the post-season in another bout of inconsistency.

So, under those circumstances, yeah, if you could have acquired a Chacin or a Straily to fortify that rotation at least, or to fortify your middle relief at worst, then it just makes sense. Our offense is just that capable that an innings-eater starter is, indeed, potentially a difference maker after all.

Key is, we never get to be on the inside to know what the asking price is/was.

So, I'm left to trust the GM... and while I do trust him, it doesn't keep me from being disappointed that something didn't happen there. Could be worse--could be an Astros fan, where they're really up in arms about what the heck their FO was doing.

Comment

I'm not a doctor, but I think Strasburg is more injured than what is being led on. A few days ago, the Nats cancelled his bullpen session which was scheduled before yesterdays game. Strasburg has said he doesn't know when he'll pitch again. Something isn't right.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Jeltz View Post
                        I'm not a doctor, but I think Strasburg is more injured than what is being led on. A few days ago, the Nats cancelled his bullpen session which was scheduled before yesterdays game. Strasburg has said he doesn't know when he'll pitch again. Something isn't right.
                        Getting pushed back again. So... yeah... seems we've seen this movie before, and not all that long ago, either.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X