Spring training starts today.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring training starts today.......

Just wanted to say HAPPY SPRING TRAINING OPENING DAY!!!!!!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    edit: Hi everyone. This will the official Spring Training thread since we already have a start on it. Its been made a sticky thread so it'll be at the top of the forum through ST. Post your ST stuff here.

Thanks for letting me butt in here.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Hannah; 04-03-2006, 04:01 PM. Reason: Make sticky-Spring training thread

I still can't wait to see what happens with Soriano, who becomes our starting CF, and what the overall mood of the team is. LETS GO NATS!
    :atthepc
    "Hey crazy eyes I brought your pizza"
    "Mmm oreos and gumballs"

Comment

That offseason went by quickly.

If we are going to win some games, it is definitely going to be on the shoulder of the guys that arrived first at Spring Training: Ryan Church, Ryan Zimmerman, Ramon Ortiz, Felix Rodriguez, Gary Majewski, Luis Ayala, and Chad Cordero.

Church is getting overwhelming support for the CF job by plenty of Nats fans on blogs, forums, and on the Nationals.com online poll who don't believe in the Watson hype and Byrd's aging abilities

Zimmerman already is a proven defensive 3B, but needs to prove his bat. The Dutch hit .397 in September, but Guzman also hit around there in September, too, which leaves his projections anywhere between the next Michael Young and the next Pokey Reese.

Ortiz's stats show him to be an unreliable, high ERA pitcher, but I see him as the next Esteban Loaiza in waiting. Guy is a workhorse able to start 34 games, pitch 200 innings, and have a 3.50 ERA. He just hasn't been able to accomplish it pitching most of his career in the American League with the Angels and in Cincy which is known for its hitter friendly park.

If Ortiz is going to be this year's Loaiza, Rodriguez will likely be this year's Carrasco. Rodriguez is in the same boat as was Carrasco last year: high ERAs, low IP, but good K-BB ratio that good spark into something great. St. Claire lighted a fire last year with Hector and with Wetteland as his trusty sidekick, Felix could become another 90-inning 1.50 ERA forest fire behind our rotation.

Majewski and Ayala combined 159 IP last year (+/- 79 IP each) to become best setup duo in the majors with 86 of those innings coming from Majewski. I think we need to see the same 160 IP from the two, but with the majority going to Ayala instead who I see as the more all around better pitcher.

Cordero needs to get more help from the offense and rest of pen if he wants to thrive. He pitched in 74 games last year which is too much to ask for from a guy who was tailored since high school to only be a closer. From here on out: make sure Cordero only gets as 40 save ops next year (offense) and only has to pitch in save ops (rest of pen).

Also, I pray that Bill Bray and Jay Bergmann can continue their stamina development in the minors. Majewski could bring in a good-sized/big name player from a reliever needy team (Arizona, Boston, TB, Texas, Cincy) in July which leaves Rodriguez/Stanton as the short term duo replacements and Bray/Bergmann the long term.
      The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
      Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

Patterson has a new look at camp and I like it. I think the facial hair will make him look more dangerous on the mound:

Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

Patterson is supposed to have worked on the change up Randy St. Clair taught to Carrasco last year. If he gets that pitch down pat he'll be dangerous this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hannah
            Patterson is supposed to have worked on the change up Randy St. Clair taught to Carrasco last year. If he gets that pitch down pat he'll be dangerous this season.
            St. Claire needs to teach that change up to every pitcher we ever invite to spring training. Nothing like having 30 super pitchers available as trade bait each season.

Comment

Chad Bowden, 12, the son of Washington Nationals general manager Jim Bowden, catches a ball during practice at the team's Major League Baseball spring training facility, Monday, Feb. 20, 2006, in Viera, Fla.

Bowden even gave his own kid a spring training invite. h

Comment

Originally posted by KingJ

Chad Bowden, 12, the son of Washington Nationals general manager Jim Bowden, catches a ball during practice at the team's Major League Baseball spring training facility, Monday, Feb. 20, 2006, in Viera, Fla.

Looks like his kid has a better glove hand then Guzman
                "Mmm oreos and gumballs"

Comment

In a completely unexpected move, catcher Erick San Pedro replaced the departed Jamey Carroll on the 40 man. Pedro was the 2nd round pick of the Expos in 2004 and has a career .151 minor league BA with A Savannah and A Potomac.

However, BaseballAmerica.com does call San Pedro the Nats best defensive catcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan25Zimmerman

Looks like his kid has a better glove hand then Guzman
                    He could have a better bat, too!

Eddie Cunningham
                    20 20

Finally---something Nats and Birds fans can agree on!

Comment

In a completely unexpected move, catcher Erick San Pedro replaced the departed Jamey Carroll on the 40 man. Pedro was the 2nd round pick of the Expos in 2004 and has a career .151 minor league BA with A Savannah and A Potomac.

However, BaseballAmerica.com does call San Pedro the Nats best defensive catcher.
                      WHAT!!! I've always been told that Schneider is probably the best defensive catcher in the NL if not the entire MLB. But even if Pedro was the best defensive catcher in the world, nothing makes up for that BA.
                      "Mmm oreos and gumballs"

Comment

Schneider is good, but I still think Matheny is somewhat (0.1%) better than Schneider. Schnieder rules when he catches would-be basestealers.
                        Cristobal

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan25Zimmerman
                          WHAT!!! I've always been told that Schneider is probably the best defensive catcher in the NL if not the entire MLB. But even if Pedro was the best defensive catcher in the world, nothing makes up for that BA.
                          Sorry. I meant to say San Pedro was the best defensive catcher in the Nats minor league system.

Comment

Sorry. I meant to say San Pedro was the best defensive catcher in the Nats minor league system.
                            Oh ok, now it makes sense.
                            "Mmm oreos and gumballs"

Comment

Article Links

Some links to keep you updated on ST at Viera. Post your own. Try not to repeat. Enjoy.

Livan's Knee: Crazy, from the Washington Post.

Reliever, Catchers, Basestealing and Injuries from the Washington Post.

Nats Up Sosa Ante (Sammy Says "No" ) from nationals.com

Jimbo's Own Pen from The Examiner

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X