Spring training starts today.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave Sheinin
    His right knee was so messed up last season, Livan Hernandez said Monday, it had to be drained of fluid every three starts. He would pitch for the Washington Nationals one night, no doubt going seven or eight innings and resisting any attempt to pry the ball out of his hand, then wake up the next morning barely able to walk
    Whoa!! Lets hope nothing serious happens
    Cristobal

Comment

Behold, the first sightings of our new bullpen coach and former closer, John Wetteland chatting with Gary Majewski:

The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
      Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

And a picture of our team's most valuable Guzman:

Last edited by KingJ; 02-22-2006, 06:02 PM.

Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

Originally posted by KingJ
          And a picture of our team's most valuable Guzman:

Well, I just read an article and it made this point. The team was 70-63 with guzman in the lineup
          :atthepc
          "Hey crazy eyes I brought your pizza"
          "Mmm oreos and gumballs"

Comment

My thoughts about Guzman this season can be expressed pretty well in this blog: http://nats3play.blogspot.com/2006/02/guzmania.html

Comment

Originally posted by KingJ
              Behold, the first sightings of our new bullpen coach and former closer, John Wetteland chatting with Gary Majewski:

John Wetteland...a personal favorite...good luck!
              Cristobal

Comment

Good news: After doing some extra work, Jose Guillen was 100% at batting practice today according to Ladson. He also said he will now be ready to play as soon as the Mets v. Nats exhibition game on March 15. THANK GOD Sosa rejected us so we only have one right fielder now.

Then again, this could also turn out like Vidro's claims of years past that he was 100%. I guess that is why we have Michael Tucker... I think...

Comment

Reading the blogs today, I have some unconfirmed bad news: Lawrence's shoulder has apparently gotten worse and he will have to have surgery that will put him out until August.

Comment

Alfonso Soriano will not play in the first two ST Nationals games because he is going to participate in the WBC.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...=.jsp&c_id=was

Nats notes:
                    Originally posted by Nationals.com
                    VIERA, Fla. -- Second baseman Alfonso Soriano has been working hard with the Nationals and getting ready for the World Baseball Classic, but according to a baseball source, he will not start Washington's first two games of the exhibition season before going to Kissimmee, Fla., to work out with the Dominican Republic team.
                    The Nationals play their first two games against the Kia Tigers and the Pittsburgh Pirates, respectively, and that means that Marlon Byrd, Ryan Church and Brandon Watson most likely will get the starting nods in the outfield, while Jose Vidro will play second base.

During Monday's workout, Soriano was playing center field and didn't have any problems with his glove and range.

"He looked good in [center field] during [batting practice] today," said one person who saw him play.

The Nationals want Soriano to play every day in the outfield, but he has repeatedly said that he wants to play second base. In fact, Soriano is playing in the World Baseball Classic as a second baseman.

Once Soriano comes back, Washington will then determine its next course of action.

The rotation: John Patterson is scheduled to pitch in the first game against Kia at Space Coast Stadium on Wednesday, while Ramon Ortiz and Tony Armas Jr. will throw against the Pirates on Thursday and Friday, respectively. John Rauch and Billy Traber will throw in the split-squad games on Saturday.

The Nationals want Armas to pitch in a Spring Training game before he represents Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic.

Ace Livan Hernandez, who is coming off knee surgery, is expected to pitch against the Marlins on March 9.

Going away: After having a successful bullpen session on Monday afternoon, reliever Luis Ayala said that he is going to play for Mexico in the World Baseball Classic. There were some doubts that Ayala would play in the tournament because of a sore right elbow he suffered last week.

"This is my country," Ayala said. "I played for Mexico in different tournaments. I even went to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., in 1986. I feel great. I want to play for my team in any situation."

A new man: General manager Jim Bowden said that left-hander Michael Hinckley looks to be a better pitcher than what he saw last Spring Training.

"He looks good, totally different guy -- different mechanics, different arm action. I didn't recognize him," Bowden said.

Around the horn: Bowden said that trade rumors involving Nick Johnson, Church and Soriano are not true. A published report had Bowden talking to the Red Sox about right-hander Bronson Arroyo for those players. ... The Nationals decided not to go after Red Sox left-hander David Wells, believing that he isn't healthy enough. ... Outfielder Christian Guerrero, the cousin of Vladimir Guerrero, had to leave the Nationals because of a family tragedy. Three members of his family were killed in a car crash. ... Catcher Wiki Gonzalez is not in camp because his wife is having a baby. ... Hernandez had his dog, "Blue," in the clubhouse. The dog is a malamute. It was the second animal spotted in the Nationals clubhouse this spring. During the first day of camp, Robert Fick had his kitten, Paul Wall, roaming around in the clubhouse.
                    Cristobal

Comment

WE WIN WE WIN!!!

NATIONALS 13, Kia Tigers 8
                      at Viera, Fla.
                      Wednesday, March 1

Nationals at the plate: Matt LeCroy drove in three runs with a bases-clearing single, while Cristian Guzman went 2-for-2 with an RBI. Brandon Watson, in the running for the center-field job, went hitless in four at-bats. Ryan Church went 2-for-3 with an RBI. The Nationals scored at least one run in each of the first five innings. Alex Escobar hit the only home run of the game, a solo shot in the bottom of the eighth inning.

Tigers at the plate: Outfielder Jae-Loo Lee drove in two runs against John Patterson, while third baseman Michael Cervenak, the only American on the team, drove in two runs as well.

Nationals on the mound: Patterson gave up two runs in one inning. He was supposed to pitch two innings, but he already passed his 35-pitch limit. Closer Chad Cordero, coming into the game in the fifth inning, gave up four runs, three earned, in one-third of an inning.

Tigers on the mound: Starter Sang Hwa Lee pitched two innings and surrendered five runs, two earned, on four hits. He threw 40 pitches, 28 of them for strikes. Reliever Jeong-Cheol Gwak pitched one inning and gave up three runs.

Grapefruit League records: Tigers 1-1; Nationals 1-0.

Up next: The Nationals return to Space Coast Stadium to play the Pirates on Friday. Right-hander Ramon Ortiz, making his Nationals debut, will start the game, while Kyle Denney, Steve Watkins, Kevin Gryboski and Valerio De Los Santos will pitch in relief.
                      "Mmm oreos and gumballs"

Comment

All the hype about Brandon Watson as our leadoff man of the future got off to a rocky start against the worst team in the Grapefruit league where he went 0 for 4 I see...Ryan Church, the guy who should really win the CF job, did very well playing corners. Go Church!

I see Escobar hit a HR. He will probably never play another game (injury!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan25Zimmerman
                          WE WIN WE WIN!!!
                          Big deal, it's not as if we're facing the Cardinals here.
                          Cristobal

Comment

Good news: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...tnered=rss_was

Guillen took 30 swings in batting practice and hit a few HRs. He says his shoulder is at 75% and will not rush to return to spring training games (doesn't want a season-ending relapse).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
                              Big deal, it's not as if we're facing the Cardinals here.
                              Yeah I know. I'm just excited that we didn't lose to that team, the fact that baseball is back, and we scored 13 runs!
                              "Mmm oreos and gumballs"

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan25Zimmerman
                                Yeah I know. I'm just excited that we didn't lose to that team, the fact that baseball is back, and we scored 13 runs!
                                And had 8 runs against...memories. *sigh*

"...And the Washington Nationals have been eliminated from playoff contention 1 month and a half after leading the NL EAST with a loss tonight versus..."

Anyone remember that?
                                Cristobal

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X