Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wilkerson_rulz-06
    replied
    "Injury report: Infielder Marlon Anderson is expected to miss at least two games after cutting his left index finger trying to cut a grapefruit for breakfast on Saturday morning. He received a couple of stitches and bandages.

[The finger] has to heal before I put it in a glove. Other than that, I'll be fine," said Anderson, who is hitting .262 with two home runs and three RBIs this spring."

Cutting a grapefruit!

Leave a comment:

• KingJ
    replied
    Alfonso Soriano has been benched by the Dominican Republic team at the World Baseball Classic, and Placido Polanco is expected to start at second base for the Dominicans for the second straight night on Tuesday.

Soriano's own country doesn't consider him a 2B!

Leave a comment:

• KingJ
    replied
    LHP Billy Traber and OF George Lombard both had another solid outing in a 10-3 win v. FLA. I wonder if their chances of making the team are any good. Surely they are better than Tucker and F-Rod right now.

Leave a comment:

• wilkerson_rulz-06
    replied
    Nats notes

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=was

Leave a comment:

• wilkerson_rulz-06
    replied
    Nats notes

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...=.jsp&c_id=was
    NATS NOTES:
    JUPITER, Fla. -- Ramon Ortiz pitched in his third game of the spring on Sunday, giving up three runs in three innings against the Marlins. He has now allowed a team-high 11 runs in eight innings.
    Ortiz was often behind in the count and walked three batters in the process. The Marlins took advantage of Ortiz's ineffectiveness by scoring a run in the first inning and two more in the third.

The right-hander didn't seem too worried about his outing because he is trying to perfect his backdoor slider and changeup, new pitches added to his repertoire. The slider was taught to him by Jose Rijo, the special assistant to the general manager, while pitching coach Randy St. Claire is helping Ortiz with the changeup.

"I'm working on [those two pitches] right now. But I have to keep it going and throw them in different situations," Ortiz said. "I know I didn't throw very well in the last two games. I'm not worried about walks, hits or runs. I'm worried about my pitches -- my changeup and slider."

St. Claire didn't seem overly concerned either, but he said Ortiz needs to be more aggressive in the strike zone. The pitching coach will not worry about results until later in the spring.

"His stuff is good. He is doing a lot of work. We changed some stuff with his delivery, where I sped him up a little bit," St. Claire said.

Injury report: Outfielder Jose Guillen took 30 swings off a tee on Sunday and didn't feel any pain in his left wrist. It's the first time the right-handed hitter has participated in baseball activities since being diagnosed with fluid and inflammation in the wrist.

"This is just the first step. I'm really happy," Guillen said.

Guillen hopes to take more swings off the tee later in the week and then take light batting practice with his teammates by early next week.

Joey Eischen threw batting practice without any problems on Sunday and is expected to pitch in a game this week. The left-hander hasn't played in a Spring Training game because of shoulder tendinitis. ...

Ryan Drese is working slowly to get back on the mound, and St. Claire hopes that the right-hander can pitch in a game toward the end of Spring Training.

Drese missed most of September because of a slap tear in the shoulder.

Behind the plate: Manager Frank Robinson said on Sunday that he looks at Robert Fick and Matt LeCroy as the emergency catchers and Mike DiFelice, Wiki Gonzalez and Alberto Castillo competing to be Brian Schneider's backup catcher.

Fick and LeCroy are considered below-average behind the plate. Fick hasn't played a Grapefruit League game because of an elbow operation and LeCroy has had serious problems throwing runners out and catching routine popups. Both players can play other positions. They will spell Nick Johnson at first base, while Fick can play the corner outfield spots.

DiFelice and Gonzalez had a chance to compete in the World Baseball Classic for Italy and Venezuela, respectively, but they decided to stay with the Nationals throughout the spring. Castillo, on the other hand, is playing for the Dominican Republic.

DiFelice and Gonzalez are having a good springs with the bat. DiFelice is hitting .421 (8-for-19), while Gonzalez is 4-for-12 (.333).

"I'm having good at-bats at the plate. I'm trying to get my timing down and go up there have a pretty good idea of what I want to do at the plate," DiFelice said. "It's no secret that we are out here to compete, so we are trying to get that energy level up."

The first game: Robinson and St. Claire have talked about the possibility of John Patterson pitching on Opening Day against the Mets at Shea Stadium.

The game plan is in place in case Livan Hernandez doesn't make his first two starts of the spring. Hernandez, who is recovering from right knee surgery, already made his Spring Training debut on March 9 and is planning to pitch again on March 14 against the Marlins.

Error of their ways:
    The Nationals have made 16 errors in their last seven games, and it concerns Robinson that his players can't make routine plays.

On Sunday, the Nationals made three errors against the Marlins. One of those miscues was made by LeCroy at first base. He let a ball go through his legs late in the game.

"It becomes like anything else -- it becomes habit forming. You just don't want to see sloppy play. We are not playing good sharp baseball in every aspect of the game," Robinson said.

Around the horn: Kenny Kelly is 6-for-18 (.333) with two RBIs. ... Pitchers Saul Ramirez and Steve Watkins are the only Nationals with victories this spring. ... Travis Hughes has given up 10 runs in 3 2/3 innings. ... Second baseman Jose Vidro went 1-for-3 with an RBI on Sunday. ... The Nationals are 1-10-1 this spring.

Coming up: The Nationals travel to Port St. Lucie, Fla., at 7:10 p.m. ET to face the Mets for the second time this season. The last time they met was on March 4, with New York defeating Washington, 6-4.

Right-hander Pedro Astacio will get the start against Mets, while Kyle Denny and Bill Bray will pitch in relief.

Leave a comment:

• wilkerson_rulz-06
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryan25Zimmerman
    Lost 22-12 today to the Marlins. Cepcicky hit a Grand Salami off Ortiz.

On a good note....(I'm still in High School) I GET TO TAKE OFF OPENING DAY!!!!! And watch the Nationals tear the Mets a new one I'm too excited for this already
    You lucky duck.

Leave a comment:

• wilkerson_rulz-06
    replied

nationals.com says Patterson is still dominating. He looks so much more "tough" than last season.

Leave a comment:

• wilkerson_rulz-06
    replied
    Double whammy:
    Loss to Marlins 5-4
    Loss to Cleveland- 10-5 :grouchy

Leave a comment:

• Ryan25Zimmerman
    replied
    Lost 22-12 today to the Marlins. Cepcicky hit a Grand Salami off Ortiz.

On a good note....(I'm still in High School) I GET TO TAKE OFF OPENING DAY!!!!! And watch the Nationals tear the Mets a new one I'm too excited for this already

Leave a comment:

• KingJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryan25Zimmerman
    Zimmerman hit another HR today as the nats beat the O's 10-6

The power is starting to show. Maybe he'll hit a solid 20 HRs 80 RBIs this year
    If he can do that or at least hit a lot of doubles with good OBP, he'd probably fit well in the #2 slot.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan25Zimmerman
    replied
    Zimmerman hit another HR today as the nats beat the O's 10-6

The power is starting to show. Maybe he'll hit a solid 20 HRs 80 RBIs this year

Leave a comment:

• KingJ
    replied
    Good Tidbit from Rotoworld on Church:

OF Ryan Church continued his hot start with two more hits yesterday and is now batting .444 this spring.

"You have to continue to like what Ryan Church is doing with the bat right now," Frank Robinson said. "If he continues to swing the bat the way he's doing, that's good." Church has a great opportunity for regular playing time in the Nationals' outfield
    Last edited by KingJ; 03-05-2006, 08:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TheKingofKings
    replied
    Nationals fall 5-4 to the Mets h h h
    but fortunately Zim Homered and Today we learned that Guillen wouldn't need surgery

Leave a comment:

• KingJ
    replied
    Spring Training Games Day 4
    CF Competition: Back in CF competition with Guillen back at RF, Church is still on fire going 2 for 3 today v. the Mets (8 for 12 with 1 HR, 4 RBI and 1 SB overall). Byrd went 1 for 5 (5 for 11 with 1 RBI overall). Watson didn't play again today (2 for 6 with 1 SB overall).

SS Competition: Guzman started again today going a respectable 1 for 3 with an RBI (4 for 7 overall with 2 RBI). Clayton didn't play today (0 for 5 overall)

Leave a comment:

• Ryan25Zimmerman
    replied
    Zimmerman hit a solo shot today but we lost our split squad game to the Mets, and won our game against Panama.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X