Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KingJ
    replied
    Patterson has a new look at camp and I like it. I think the facial hair will make him look more dangerous on the mound:

Leave a comment:

• KingJ
    replied
    That offseason went by quickly.

If we are going to win some games, it is definitely going to be on the shoulder of the guys that arrived first at Spring Training: Ryan Church, Ryan Zimmerman, Ramon Ortiz, Felix Rodriguez, Gary Majewski, Luis Ayala, and Chad Cordero.

Church is getting overwhelming support for the CF job by plenty of Nats fans on blogs, forums, and on the Nationals.com online poll who don't believe in the Watson hype and Byrd's aging abilities

Zimmerman already is a proven defensive 3B, but needs to prove his bat. The Dutch hit .397 in September, but Guzman also hit around there in September, too, which leaves his projections anywhere between the next Michael Young and the next Pokey Reese.

Ortiz's stats show him to be an unreliable, high ERA pitcher, but I see him as the next Esteban Loaiza in waiting. Guy is a workhorse able to start 34 games, pitch 200 innings, and have a 3.50 ERA. He just hasn't been able to accomplish it pitching most of his career in the American League with the Angels and in Cincy which is known for its hitter friendly park.

If Ortiz is going to be this year's Loaiza, Rodriguez will likely be this year's Carrasco. Rodriguez is in the same boat as was Carrasco last year: high ERAs, low IP, but good K-BB ratio that good spark into something great. St. Claire lighted a fire last year with Hector and with Wetteland as his trusty sidekick, Felix could become another 90-inning 1.50 ERA forest fire behind our rotation.

Majewski and Ayala combined 159 IP last year (+/- 79 IP each) to become best setup duo in the majors with 86 of those innings coming from Majewski. I think we need to see the same 160 IP from the two, but with the majority going to Ayala instead who I see as the more all around better pitcher.

Cordero needs to get more help from the offense and rest of pen if he wants to thrive. He pitched in 74 games last year which is too much to ask for from a guy who was tailored since high school to only be a closer. From here on out: make sure Cordero only gets as 40 save ops next year (offense) and only has to pitch in save ops (rest of pen).

Also, I pray that Bill Bray and Jay Bergmann can continue their stamina development in the minors. Majewski could bring in a good-sized/big name player from a reliever needy team (Arizona, Boston, TB, Texas, Cincy) in July which leaves Rodriguez/Stanton as the short term duo replacements and Bray/Bergmann the long term.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan25Zimmerman
    replied

I still can't wait to see what happens with Soriano, who becomes our starting CF, and what the overall mood of the team is. LETS GO NATS!

Leave a comment:

• vasprtsfn
    started a topic Spring training starts today.......

Spring training starts today.......

Just wanted to say HAPPY SPRING TRAINING OPENING DAY!!!!!!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    edit: Hi everyone. This will the official Spring Training thread since we already have a start on it. Its been made a sticky thread so it'll be at the top of the forum through ST. Post your ST stuff here.

Thanks for letting me butt in here.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Hannah; 04-03-2006, 04:01 PM. Reason: Make sticky-Spring training thread

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X