What is holding the Nats back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is holding the Nats back?

The Nats are the great pseudo-dynasty of the 2010s, no doubt about it. Regularly putting up league-leading win totals before becoming the Cincinnati Bengals of the NL. (The NFL's Bengals recently went to the football equivalent of the WCG 6 times in an 8-year span, including 5 in a row, losing all of them.)

So if they're loaded with talent year-in and year-out, how the hell do they keep failing in the first round of the playoffs when they should be WS contenders? What needs to change to shake the first-round boogeyman and realize their fullest potential?
    Last edited by pedrosrotatorcuff; 11-13-2018, 02:25 PM.

That's a good question. At the end of the year I was thinking that they were one of those teams that are a perennial preseason favorite that "underachieves." There always seems to be one of those teams. As noted the Bengals are one, the Fouts Chargers. There are others for sure but they escape me.

As for Washington: my impression is internal dynamics are dicey. You had the Papelbon/Harper (?) incident. Scherzer lit into them. There must be more to it. Unfortunately I don't see too many Washington fans posting here to shed some light..

Comment

I think mostly bad luck. I once looked at all the series, many went to game 5 and they had a positive run differential in a lot of those series.

for example 2017:

cubs win 3-2, nats outscored them 20-17

Dodgers win 3-2, nats outscored Dodgers 24-19

2014 giants win 3-1, series score 9-9

only got outscored by a lot in the 2012 series by the cards.
      I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

I think relocating the team from Montreal and not acknowledging the Expos is one of the skeletons in their closet.
        I also think the handling of managerial choices. Acta, Matt Williams has not been the greatest.

Comment

Originally posted by hartman74 View Post
          I think relocating the team from Montreal and not acknowledging the Expos is one of the skeletons in their closet.
          Kind of like the "newer" Senators that became the Rangers?

I also think the handling of managerial choices. Acta, Matt Williams has not been the greatest.
          Should they have kept Dusty? He had a track record of just coming up short even before his brief stay in DC, but it seems like he fared the best of the Nats managers thus far.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X