BREAKING NEWS-WP: MLB signs off on stadium lease terms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KCGHOST
    Well, Bob, I hope you right, but I still see the glass as half-empty.
    Understood. Throughout this whole soap opera between the city council and baseball I've remained, uncharictaristically, optomistic in a cautious sense. Last in Dec. of '04 we saw a council fight that actually closed down baseball operations. Chairman Cropp's plan finally passed and Baseball accepted it. This past winter we have seen Baseball make concessions (not enough in my book) and it's acceptance of the council changing their original funding plan with the emergency legislation passed last month. As DuPuy said in the Washington Post-
    "We have worked very hard to accommodate the requests from the Mayor and the Council that changed the terms of the agreement that brought the Expos to Washington," said MLB President Robert A. DuPuy in a statement. "Because we believe in the future of Baseball in the nation's capital, we have signed a lease that honors the 2004 agreement, while conforming to the emergency legislation that the Council passed last month.

"Everyone has to compromise so the Nationals can enjoy a strong future," DuPuy said. "We are offering a compromise that I call on District leaders to support."
    The last paragraph is a not so veiled threat-Baseball won't concede anymore (and I really can't blame them. Dealing with Baseball is a circus, but dealing with the D.C. city council is...well, there are no words for it.). If the coucil won't agree with Baseball it goes to arbitration and the city will likely lose. That means the team leaves. So far Baseball hasn't been willing to let this happen. The sale price for the team would devalue greatly in any other market, no other market is ready (consider stadium availability, needed legislation, buers willing take placement of the team in another market to name a few), nor is any other as lucerative. But if council swithces up again I see Baseball willing to take losses just as a matter of saving face.

Although its been a rocky, rocky road, things do progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hannah
      Understood. Throughout this whole soap opera between the city council and baseball I've remained, uncharictaristically, optomistic in a cautious sense. Last in Dec. of '04 we saw a council fight that actually closed down baseball operations. Chairman Cropp's plan finally passed and Baseball accepted it. This past winter we have seen Baseball make concessions (not enough in my book) and it's acceptance of the council changing their original funding plan with the emergency legislation passed last month. As DuPuy said in the Washington Post-

The last paragraph is a not so veiled threat-Baseball won't concede anymore (and I really can't blame them. Dealing with Baseball is a circus, but dealing with the D.C. city council is...well, there are no words for it.). If the coucil won't agree with Baseball it goes to arbitration and the city will likely lose. That means the team leaves. So far Baseball hasn't been willing to let this happen. The sale price for the team would devalue greatly in any other market, no other market is ready (consider stadium availability, needed legislation, buers willing take placement of the team in another market to name a few), nor is any other as lucerative. But if council swithces up again I see Baseball willing to take losses just as a matter of saving face.

Although its been a rocky, rocky road, things do progress.
      The bright spot I see is this---all of the Council Members who are sqwawking are the Frightful Four. I haven't heard anything from Gray, Brown, Schwartz, or even Barry which suggests they have are disappointed so far. Gray, in fact, seems relieved. I will feel much better when the vote is actually done, but I think it will get through.

Eddie Cunningham
      20 20

Finally---something Nats and Birds fans can agree on!

Comment

Eddie, you must be happy!
        Cristobal

Comment

Originally posted by KingJ
          Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
          !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
          you too! Man you guys are that happy, I can't wait to see how you'll act when we win it all!!
          Cristobal

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
            Eddie, you must be happy!
            I'll be happier tomorrow when it's all official. I'm just sorry that
            the only way we could have gotten a team was at your expense.
            In hinsight, we should have received the second expansion team
            over Miami.

BTW, great new avatar!

Eddie Cunningham
            20 20

Comment

you too! Man you guys are that happy, I can't wait to see how you'll act when we win it all!!
              I'm assuming you mean when the Nats win the World Series, but I promise to celebrate when the Habs win the Stanley Cup! If we get the wrong owner, it's more likely the Habs will get the Cup before the Nats win a pennant.

Eddie Cunningham
              20 20

Comment

Sorry at Montreal's Expense

Having lost 2 baseball clubs here in DC - I am overjoyed while not overlooking Montreal's pain. The Twins and the Rangers both left us based on some underhanded wheeling and dealing. The bottom line is, that regarless of what happened with this stadium deal here in DC, this ballclub was never to return to Montreal. For that, I am sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by JPWARD37
                  Having lost 2 baseball clubs here in DC - I am overjoyed while not overlooking Montreal's pain. The Twins and the Rangers both left us based on some underhanded wheeling and dealing. The bottom line is, that regarless of what happened with this stadium deal here in DC, this ballclub was never to return to Montreal. For that, I am sorry.
                  My father and mother both grew up in Brooklyn, so I have to say the same thing. The other thing that I really regret is the way that the US media made Montreal out to be some sort of third-rate chicken**** backwater of a city, which it certainly is not. I was just up there a few weeks ago and was reminded of how much I enjoy it there.
                  I will not assimilate into the Angelos Collective. Resistance is not futile.

Comment

D.C. Didn't Get Best Deal With MLB, Adrian Fenty, D.C. council member

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=398&sid=644951

Even Fenty has changed his tune. There is reason to feel good now when Fenty says he "respects the legislative process".

Hurray for the new ballpark!

Comment

Originally posted by 1995hoo
                      My father and mother both grew up in Brooklyn, so I have to say the same thing. The other thing that I really regret is the way that the US media made Montreal out to be some sort of third-rate chicken**** backwater of a city, which it certainly is not. I was just up there a few weeks ago and was reminded of how much I enjoy it there.
                      Montréal is a great city. It just does not have a lot of baseball fans. I think the Expos were to Montréal the way the Capitals are to D.C. There are a small number of die-hard hockey fans who live and die with the Caps, and they go to games regularly at MCI Center. But most sports fans in the D.C. area are at best casual hockey fans. If the Caps are not contending, they don't exist. I hate to say this, but I believe the Caps' raison d'être is to help fill up the MCI Center (as they did the Capital Center) when the Bullets/Wizards are not playing. Hopefully Ted Leonsis can help build a larger fan base for the Caps, but right now we are nowhere near Philadelphia. (I firmly believe Philly may just be THE biggest hockey town in the U.S. with an NHL team, even though they haven't won a Cup since 1975.)

In Montréal, there is a small band of baseball fans, but hockey c'est Dieu. With the proper ownership and leadership, I think baseball in Montréal could have worked. God knows that Stadé Olympique---for all it's faults---was probably a better baseball facility than Exhibition Stadium in Toronto. But with the collapse of the CFL, there wasn't a bigger, more popular club using Stadé Olympique stadium that could have borne most of the costs. In other words, the Expos didn't have a "Bullets/Wizards" sharing the place with them. Furthermore, several of the moves management made served only to alienate more and more fans. We may grouse about problems with MASN and the last radio station, but we still could see at least SOME games on TV, and HEAR games on the radio, even if the signal was weak. Montrealers could do neither.

Anyway, to sum up, I'm glad D.C. finally got baseball, but Montréal deserved a lot better...

Eddie Cunningham
                      20 20

Comment

Originally posted by eddiejc1
                        I'll be happier tomorrow when it's all official. I'm just sorry that
                        the only way we could have gotten a team was at your expense.
                        In hinsight, we should have received the second expansion team
                        over Miami.

BTW, great new avatar!

Eddie Cunningham
                        Thanks, it's a sort of M for Montreal!
                        Cristobal

Comment

Thanks, it's a sort of M for Montreal!
                          I figured that. BTW, folks it's all over! The Council just approved the cap, 9-4!!!

THE NATS ARE HERE TO STAY!!!

Eddie Cunningham
                          20 20

Comment

I figured that. BTW, folks it's all over! The Council just approved the cap, 9-4!!!

THE NATS ARE HERE TO STAY!!!

Eddie Cunningham
                            Was there ever any doubt?

Can we now start singing one particular Grateful Dead tune?
                            Last edited by Bob Hannah; 03-07-2006, 08:10 PM.

Comment

I would go have a drink to celebrate except that I swore off liquor for at least the duration of Lent.

Comment

Montréal is a great city. It just does not have a lot of baseball fans. I think the Expos were to Montréal the way the Capitals are to D.C. There are a small number of die-hard hockey fans who live and die with the Caps, and they go to games regularly at MCI Center. But most sports fans in the D.C. area are at best casual hockey fans. If the Caps are not contending, they don't exist. I hate to say this, but I believe the Caps' raison d'être is to help fill up the MCI Center (as they did the Capital Center) when the Bullets/Wizards are not playing. Hopefully Ted Leonsis can help build a larger fan base for the Caps, but right now we are nowhere near Philadelphia. (I firmly believe Philly may just be THE biggest hockey town in the U.S. with an NHL team, even though they haven't won a Cup since 1975.)

In Montréal, there is a small band of baseball fans, but hockey c'est Dieu. With the proper ownership and leadership, I think baseball in Montréal could have worked. God knows that Stadé Olympique---for all it's faults---was probably a better baseball facility than Exhibition Stadium in Toronto. But with the collapse of the CFL, there wasn't a bigger, more popular club using Stadé Olympique stadium that could have borne most of the costs. In other words, the Expos didn't have a "Bullets/Wizards" sharing the place with them. Furthermore, several of the moves management made served only to alienate more and more fans. We may grouse about problems with MASN and the last radio station, but we still could see at least SOME games on TV, and HEAR games on the radio, even if the signal was weak. Montrealers could do neither.

Anyway, to sum up, I'm glad D.C. finally got baseball, but Montréal deserved a lot better...

Eddie Cunningham
                                As one of those die-hard Caps fans who is regularly at MCI...err, Verizon...I have to say "good post." Funny you mention the CFL, because even the Alouettes moved out of Stade Olympique to play at McGill's stadium, except during the playoffs. I seem to recall that when the Baltimore Stallions moved to Montreal they played in Stade Olympique for a year or two but found it to be too cavernous for their needs.

Regarding the Nationals on TV, I watched the majority of the games on TV when I couldn't get to RFK last year.....DirecTV is crucial for a Nationals fan! (and XM eliminates the weak radio signal problem, although I had XM prior to the Nationals coming here)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X