X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soriano apparently says he'll play LF today

From the Nationals' site:

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...=.jsp&c_id=was
    I will not assimilate into the Angelos Collective. Resistance is not futile.

Originally posted by 1995hoo
    Darn you beat me to it!

Finally, thinks about someone else than himself.
    Cristobal

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
      Finally, thinks about someone else than himself.
      He's thinking about that $10M paycheck going out the window.

Comment

1:15 p.m. EST Soriano is in the lineup in LF as reported on WTOP, it is the 2nd inning and he has had one AB.

Comment

Originally posted by Peorgie T
          He's thinking about that $10M paycheck going out the window.
          I was being sarcastic

*eats an apple*

*thinks...''What does that have to do with Soriano??''*

*smiles*
          Cristobal

Comment

So how'd he look out there in LF? Did he catch anything? Either his wheels were working or his "boots" were working harder.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
              So how'd he look out there in LF? Did he catch anything? Either his wheels were working or his "boots" were working harder.
              In the outfield he doubled Eckstein (sp?) off second in the fourth. Radio reports didn't mention other defensive play so I guess he was passable for the position today.

At bat he was one for three with a double, a walk ( ) and 2 runs scored. He's hitting in the lead off spot. Mgr. Robinson says that is to get him as many at bats as possible prior to opening day.

Comment

When we first got Soriano, I thought it was actually a pretty good move, and it would work out just fine. I must say, I still think he's a pretty good player but I'm starting to doubt whether that was a good move for our team.

This guy has always had some huge flaws in his game, he's a horrible fielder from 2B, can't draw a walk, and strikes out a ton. He's obviously very selfish and stubborn. I can't help but think that part of the reason why he can't improve on those flaws is because of his own selfishness. The guy just doesn't listen to anyone. I'm sure coaches through his career have tried to correct his flaws, and he just probably ignored them. He has no work ethic, no inclination to do anything to help the team.

But, the guy still is a great talent. If this were fooball or basketball, I wouldn't want the guy on my team. In baseball it's generally okay to be selfish though. If you get a hit for yourself, it still counts for the team. But, this guy's selfishness and stubborn attitude is reaching a point where it is hurting the team and the whole organization-already.

I saw him play in the World Baseball Classic, and he was awful, on defense and offense. It's clear he's done close to nothing to improve himself. But, that was a small sample size. He still should hit about .270, never walk for an OBP of around .290-.300, but still slug the ball. He is a great baserunner, fast on the bases and good for 30-40 SBs at a good percentage.

I'm skeptickal about how good he'll be as a defensive OFer too. That's going to have to be something new he'll have to learn. The man has shown no inclination or even desire to learn anything or listen to his coaches, so I don't think he'll ever become a great defense OFer despite his great physical tools.

Soriano is the classic example of a player who looks impressive, he looks like a baseball player. He's impressive and exciting to watch. But, when you look at the bottom line you're getting a player with questionable value and a bad attitude. I'm still not so sold that the trade was a horrible one, but I have to say I don't know if this is the kind of guy who I'm going to want on my team.

I'm open, though.

Comment

Soriano + defense= LF?

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...=.jsp&c_id=was
                  Cristobal

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz

This is what I mean. I doubt Soriano, despite his great physical skills, will ever become a very good defensive outfielder, simply because it requires him to learn something new, which is something he has probably never done since he came to the majors.

Comment

Originally posted by 538280
                      This is what I mean. I doubt Soriano, despite his great physical skills, will ever become a very good defensive outfielder, simply because it requires him to learn something new, which is something he has probably never done since he came to the majors.
                      Soriano is the new Juan Samuel.
                      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Soriano is looking completely lost in LF. I think they need to move him out of town after he gets to show off his bat for a few months. If they don't trade him they will have nothing to show for trading Wilkerson.

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                          Soriano is the new Juan Samuel.
                          Pretty good comparison, though by every metric I've seen they show Soriano in his peak to be a significantly better player than Samuel ever was. Soriano was really one of the best players in the game a few years with the Yankees (over 30 Win Shares). Who knows, he may be able to get back there but I seriously doubt it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X