wearing #10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wearing #10

The #10 was retired by Rusty Staub and Andre Dawson and Royce Clayton is wearing that #. I guess it was nice of them to give him permission to wear that #?

Welcome to BBF ATL. Wow, that's interesting, they probably never noticed it or something...
    Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Nationals don't recognize any of the numbers retired by the Expos. Mike Stanton wears Tim Raines' number 30.
      The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
      Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

Thank you for the welcome. I am actually a Braves fan and enjoying this forum.

Oh i noticed Marlon Anderson is wearing Gary Carter's number #8. If he is, i guess there are NO retired numbers for the Nats. Just the Expos franchise.
        Last edited by ATL; 04-03-2006, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATL

Oh i noticed Marlon Anderson is wearing Gary Carter's number #8. If he is, i guess there are NO retired numbers for the Nats. Just the Expos franchise.
          The Nationals did not plan to recognize numbers retired by the Expos. That is a legacy left for the fans of the Montreal team.

Stanton was wearing #30 last year when he was with the Nats.

Comment

I am more upset at the fact the Orioles are the only team in MLB that refuses to retire "42" in the same manner as their own placers. Who cares if they put a "44" or "7" monument for the late Elrod Hendricks and Cal Ripken, Sr.? They should have put a "42" out there NEARLY TEN BLEEPING YEARS AGO!!!

Eddie Cunningham
            20 20

Finally---something Nats and Birds fans can agree on!

Comment

Mariano Rivera is the only player is wearing #42. I mean come on, retiring the # in the MLB. Why cant just retire it from only the Dodgers? This is like Wayne Gretzky retired his #99 on all NHL teams. It should be the Kings, Oilers, Blues, and Rangers.

I heard it might or not be possible to retire #21 all over MLB because of Roberto Clemente. For now the number is retired by the Pirates.

Seriously, i cannot stand commisioners. David Stern is the most idiot one.
              Last edited by ATL; 04-04-2006, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATL
                The #10 was retired by Rusty Staub and Andre Dawson and Royce Clayton is wearing that #. I guess it was nice of them to give him permission to wear that #?
                As others have noted, notwithstanding what the Nationals' website says, the team did not carry over the Expos' retired numbers. I specifically asked Tony Tavares about it last year because their site implies that the numbers did carry over, and he said that the Nationals are trying to create a fresh legacy in DC and accordingly have not carried over the retired numbers from either the Expos or the Senators. The only retired number is 42, per MLB's policy, and the funny thing is that if you were at the game last year when they retired it (second home game of the season), you might recall that the PA announcer said that the Nationals are proud to be the 31st Major League Baseball team to retire 42. I found that interesting because it's a further break from Montreal to claim that they're the "31st team" to retire it. I guess the distinction might be that the Washington Nationals are a distinct TEAM from the Montreal Expos, even though they are the same FRANCHISE.

Another funny note is that when I was at a Nationals–Astros game last year, some Astros fans saw the retired 42 with "Robinson" out there and were wondering why the Nationals were so quick to retire the manager's number!
                I will not assimilate into the Angelos Collective. Resistance is not futile.

Comment

Originally posted by ATL
                  Mariano Rivera is the only player is wearing #42. I mean come on, retiring the # in the MLB. Why cant just retire it from only the Dodgers? This is like Wayne Gretzky retired his #99 on all NHL teams. It should be the Kings, Oilers, Blues, and Rangers.

The NHL retired it, not Gretzky. I think it would take amazing gall for any other player to wear 99, even if it had not been retired league-wide. It would be awfully presumptuous, don't you think?

Jackie Robinson played and retired well before I was born so I don't have the same sense of his impact on the game as I do for Wayne Gretzky.

Comment

Robinson's 42 is retired for all teams, including Baltimore. Rivera and a couple other guys were grandfathered in. Only Rivera is left. For whatever reason not all teams have a physical reminder at the park that Jackie's number is retired.
                    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                      Robinson's 42 is retired for all teams, including Baltimore. Rivera and a couple other guys were grandfathered in. Only Rivera is left. For whatever reason not all teams have a physical reminder at the park that Jackie's number is retired.
                      When they made the announcement in 1997, they said that any player who was currently wearing 42 could continue to wear it.

Comment

Every team is supposed to retire "42" in the same manner as their own players. The Yankees took out "42" from Monument Park, but they have a good excuse. Once Rivera retires, I fully expect the Yankees to put TWO "42"s---one for Robinson and one for Rivera. Go to any other park except Yankee Stadium and Camden Yards, and you will see "42" retired the exact same way as the home team's players.

What it really boils down to is that those monuments in Eutah Street are expensive, and Angelos does not want to pay to build one for a non-Oriole. If Selig refuses to order Angelos to erect a "42", somebody from the Baltimore Sun, Washington Post, or Washington Times should call him out on that.

I vehemently disagree with retiring "99" for all of the NHL. If merely being the most popular player or revolutionary player were the criteria, then Babe Ruth's number should be retired and so should Red Grange's in football. I personally think the impact and importance of Jackie Robinson is so great, his number should be retired for all professional sports teams.

Eddie Cunningham
                        20 20

Finally---something Nats and Birds fans can agree on!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X