Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where should the Nats have their AAA affiliate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should the Nats have their AAA affiliate?

Once we get an owner, I think of the questions he should address is whether the Nats AAA affiliate should remain in New Orleans or if it should move closer to D.C. I feel for the fans of New Orleans and do not think the Nats should move right NOW, but in the long term I think it will help if the Nats top farm club was closer to home. What do you think?

Eddie Cunningham
    New Orleans
    0.00%
    Harrisburg
    22.22%
    Bowie
    11.11%
    Potomac (Prince William County, VA)
    11.11%
    Richmond
    55.56%
    20 20

Finally---something Nats and Birds fans can agree on!

Closer to home but not too close. Make it Harrisburg.

Comment

How about a three way trade:

The Nats get Richmond, the Braves get Durham, the Devil Rays get New Orleans.
      Best posts ever:
      Originally posted by nymdan
      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

I'd like Norfolk at AAA.
        The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
        Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

Originally posted by KingJ
          I'd like Norfolk at AAA.
          Where would you put the Mets' affiliation after the Nats get Norfolk? Remember that each team needs a AAA affiliate so one change requires another etc.
          Last edited by efin98; 04-06-2006, 08:43 PM.
          Best posts ever:

Comment

I'd like Montreal please!
            Cristobal

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
              I'd like Montreal please!
              A major reason Washington never considered taking on a Triple A is in doing so this would catagorize the city as non-major league team worthy. Once you hit the big time you don't go backwards.

Comment

Relegate Baltimore to AAA and make them the affiliate. Promote someone else to the American League in their place

In all seriousness, as much as the idea of throwing over New Orleans is in poor taste right now, having a minor-league affiliate close to home makes great sense. The Capitals used to have the Baltimore Skipjacks as their top affiliate and it made it extremely easy to call up players quickly on an emergency basis; in particular, I remember one game where one of the goalies got hurt and they were able to rush Shawn Simpson down from Baltimore, suit him up, and get him on the bench for the third period in case they needed another goaltender. It's much harder to do that when your minor league team is in Binghamton, Portland, or Hershey (much less New Orleans).
                I will not assimilate into the Angelos Collective. Resistance is not futile.

Comment

I support the Richmond proposal. I've mentioned in these forums before that during MLB's absence from Washington, I've made many trips to Richmond to watch the R-Braves play (and have a number of the promotional hats to show for my efforts). For me, it's a nice drive, unlike the trip through the unending Washington/Baltimore suburbs when going to Charm City.

For those of you who may be unaware, though, there's also a proposal for a new stadium in Richmond which is a source of controversy in that municipality, as if we'd hadn't heard enough about stadium proposals, roadblocks and sparring city councils.

Cede New Orleans to the Braves and we'll take Richmond!

I will agree with Bob-close, but not too close-however, I don't think Harrisburg is big enough (correct me if I'm wrong) to support a Triple A franchise.
                  "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Originally posted by Aa3rt
                    I will agree with Bob-close, but not too close-however, I don't think Harrisburg is big enough (correct me if I'm wrong) to support a Triple A franchise.
                    They support a AA affiliate currently, I think they could support a AAA team but they don't have a AAA-sized facility. Also with the Phillies(MLB), Pirates(MLB), Barons(AAA), Curve(AA), Senators(AA), Seawolves(AA), Reading(AA), Williamsport(A-SS), and State College(A-SS) there may be too much of a good thing in Pennsylvania.

Frankly I think you can't get much better than the two Virginia teams- Richmond and Norfolk. Richmond and Norfolk are close enough for the prospects/rehabs to be close to the home team but far enough away to have self sustaining fanbases.

Here is the $20 Million question- does Bowie or Potomac have a facility large enough to house a AAA team(at least 10,000-15,000 fans) or does the new owner have to wait a few years until a new stadium is built to move the team? That may prevent a move if they don't have large enough facilities, simply not worth it to the team to move the affiliate if they don't have a facility to move into...
                    Last edited by efin98; 04-07-2006, 02:42 PM.
                    Best posts ever:

Comment

I don't know exactly how the people feel down there, but if I lived in New Orleans right now I'd take it as a huge slap in the face if the team moved from New Orleans.

I don't see what's so wrong with having a minor league affiliate far away from the major league team.

Plus, even after the hurricane I have to think New Orleans is in a much better position to support a team than Harrisburg or Bowie. Do they even have a big enough stadium?

Comment

I don't see what's so wrong with having a minor league affiliate far away from the major league team.

When teams send players to affiliates for rehab assignments, they prefer them to go to the closest thing to the major league level as possible. Triple-A is the closest thing to major league caliber, but they prefer them to go, get their work in, and be able to get back to the team in the same day. Look at Washington. Last year, we had Henry Mateo, Wil Cordero, and Jose Vidro at Potomac on rehab assignments. Washington would have prefered them to go to New Orleans, but that would have involved a flight down and a flight back after a day or two. Had their Triple-A affiliate been in Richmond, they could have driven/been driven to Richmond, gotten their work in, and gotten back to Washington in the same day. But they settled for sending them to Potomac because it is 30 miles from DC.

Comment

Originally posted by 538280
                          I don't know exactly how the people feel down there, but if I lived in New Orleans right now I'd take it as a huge slap in the face if the team moved from New Orleans.

Two reasons: time and money. The farther the distance from the parent club, the longer it takes for players to recover from jet lag or bus lag. It also costs more money for the team to get that player where they need him and when they need him the farther away the team is.

There's a reason Pawtucket, Tucson, Tacoma, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre are affiliates of the respective teams within state(and next door in Pawtucket's case)

Plus, even after the hurricane I have to think New Orleans is in a much better position to support a team than Harrisburg or Bowie. Do they even have a big enough stadium?
                          With a semi renovation that replaces the grass berms with seats, extends the luxury level past the dugouts and adding bleachers in the outfield you could easilly add 3,000 seats or so to get the capacity up to AAA standards.
                          Best posts ever:

Comment

I think Toledo, Colorado Springs, Sacramento, and Round Rock are also in the same boat, a short drive down the interstate from their parent clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by vasprtsfn
                              I think Toledo, Colorado Springs, Sacramento, and Round Rock are also in the same boat, a short drive down the interstate from their parent clubs.
                              What is that, like 8 teams with their AAA affiliates close by? With the Nats that could bring the teams up to 10 or 11 in one simple swap.
                              Best posts ever:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X