Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senator Saverine
    replied
    Hanrahan is a big man in the Burgh these days.

We took a little road trip to Pittsburgh last weekend and caught the Friday and Saturday (June 22nd and 23rd) games vs. the Tigers at PNC Park. Hanrahan saved both games, and when he came in he got an Elvis-style buildup and crowd reception. I'm generally quite happy with the Nationals present bullpen situation, which of course will be even better when Storen finally returns, but it's nice to see Hanrahan doing well. And PNC is such a great baseball destination.

Leave a comment:

• Aa3rt
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRon View Post
    Trades usually take a while to play out.....Hanrahan supposedly has really good stuff.

The trade may help both teams, but I think the Pirates got the upside on potential.
    Well I've got to admit BigRon-you really called this one. I was reminded of this long-dormant topic in early July when Hanrahan saved a game for the Pirates against the Nationals in Washington. Frankly I was glad to see him and his 7.71 ERA go to Pittsburgh in 2009. However, for whatever reason(s) he's blossomed into quite a good pitcher with the Pirates.

Now that the 2011 season is over I took a look at his finals stats. A 1-4 record, a 1.83 ERA and 40 saves for a team that only won 72 games.

Joel Hanrahan major league record

Meanwhile Nyjer Morgan got off to a great start in Washington, then ended his 2009 season injuring himself in a head-first slide. When he returned last year some of his bizarre antics wore thin and got him traded to Milwaukee.

Burnett is still with Washington but his pitching is sometimes shaky and I find myself reaching for a cigarette when he's called in to a close game.

Leave a comment:

• Senator Saverine
    replied
    Morgan's improved the defense; he seems better than just OK in CF. As for Milledge, I can envision someone posting this in a couple years: "He didn't quite work out in Pittsburgh, but he's still got a huge upside..."

Leave a comment:

• AutographCollector
    replied
    Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
    At age 28 Morgan is what he is. A fourth or fifth OFer at best with little pop in his bat.
    Well he must be doing something right as he has started every game since the trade.

Leave a comment:

• KCGHOST
    replied
    The Pirates won this trade easily on upside value of the players involved. I guess the Nats figured (and maybe rightly) that Milledge is too big a pain in the butt to wait for him to develop. At age 28 Morgan is what he is. A fourth or fifth OFer at best with little pop in his bat.

Leave a comment:

• Peorgie T
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRon View Post
    Trades usually take a while to play out. Morgan is almost 29, has limited baseball experience. He's very fast, but not an outstanding baserunner. He doesn't have much power, but has hit reasonably well this year. He's just an OK defensive OFer, and probably will not be a particularly good CFer. Burnett's pitching well and has some potential.

Milledge obviously has had problems, but he's still young and has lots of tools and potential. Hanrahan supposedly has really good stuff.

The trade may help both teams, but I think the Pirates got the upside on potential.
    So far, so good for the Nats. Morgan is their first legitimate leadoff hitter since Soriano, and actually has a clue how to play CF. He's covering a lot of ground Dunn can't get to, so they should give up a few less hits just from that. He's also enabled them to move Guzman down in the lineup where they weren't getting many runs, so he might get more RBIs since he is a good contact hitter, but hardly ever walks.

Leave a comment:

• BigRon
    replied
    Trades usually take a while to play out. Morgan is almost 29, has limited baseball experience. He's very fast, but not an outstanding baserunner. He doesn't have much power, but has hit reasonably well this year. He's just an OK defensive OFer, and probably will not be a particularly good CFer. Burnett's pitching well and has some potential.

Milledge obviously has had problems, but he's still young and has lots of tools and potential. Hanrahan supposedly has really good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Aa3rt
    replied
    Gascanrahan-I love it!

I agree-this seems like a good trade for the Nats-no idea what the Pirates will get out of it...

Leave a comment:

• Peorgie T
    started a topic So Long Gascanrahan

So Long Gascanrahan

The Nats traded Milledge and Hanrahan to the Pirates for OF Nyger Morgan, and LHP Sean Burnett. I'm not sure what is in this for the Bucs; they get two projects in exchange for a starting CF, and a middle reliever with an ERA just over 3.00. I guess they think they can fix what's wrong with them; Milledge seems uncoachable, at least so far. He was in Manny and Rizzo's doghouse, so it's no surprise he got dealt. Hanrahan has regressed a lot this year, but his confidence in his stuff is shot, so maybe they can make something of him.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X