Nationals fire manager Manny Acta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nationals fire manager Manny Acta

After a 2-6 roadtrip (Counting the suspended game against the Astros from May 5th that was concluded July 9th), the Nationals with the worst record (26-61) in baseball fired manager Manny Acta Sunday evening (July 12th). Bench coach Jim Riggleman is to take over as interim manager.

Story from WTOP, Washington newsradio:

Manny Acta fired
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Why? It's not like he built the team.

Comment

Yeah, it has to be his fault.
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Unfortunately it's as old as professional baseball...the team isn't performing so fire the manager.

Personally I like Manny Acta and was hoping he'd be able to turn things around. When he's tasked at trying to win on the major league level with a pitching staff that's been shuttled between Syracuse and DC all season something's got to give.

And while I liked Manny, at the same time I wish he'd have shown a little more fire-his complacency was interpreted by many in the Washington area as indifference to losing.

For a little more background on the behind the scenes turmoil that's beset this franchise check out Ken Rosenthal's column on Fox Sports:

Acta Firing Just A Sign Of Mess In D.C.
        "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

It's not really Acta's fault that his team is God-awful. Can't make chicken salad outta chicken [crap]. Then again, the Nats have to make it look like they are at least trying to do something to improve the team, so the old manager-firing is probably the only option...
          sigpic

Comment

Acta's time was up

Manny Acta was only a small part of what was wrong with the Nationals, but in situations like these, there is no other choice than to dump the manager. He's a good guy, but lacked top-level leadership experience, and was probably in over his head. The column by Ken Rosenthal hit the nail on the head: the real problem is with the owners of the team -- the Lerner family. They seem to have no interest in baseball as anything but a way to rake in more money, for as little investment as possible. "The rot starts at the top."

Comment

There's some things that won't turn around right away, but if Riggleman can get the team to execute the fundamentals that they should have learned in Little League (defense, base running, situational hitting), they should win a few more games.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X