This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday, Sep. 25th-Nationals 3, Braves 0

The Nationals complete their season at home with a 3-0 victory over the Atlanta Braves. The season series between Atlanta and Washington ends at 9-9. The Nationals final home record ends at 44-36.

Nationals starter Ross Detwiler pitched 6 shutout innings, giving up 4 hits and 2 walks while striking out 4. The Nationals sent 4 pitchers to the mound with Drew Storen collecting his 42nd save.

For the Braves, Mike Miner worked 4.2 innings giving up 6 hits and 1 run, walking 2 and striking out 5. 3 Atlanta pitchers worked in the game.

Extra base hits for the Nationals came from doubles by Ian Desmond, Danny Espinosa and Jonny Gomes while Wilson Ramos and Mike Morse homered, Morse's was his 29th of the season. There were no extra base hits for the Braves.

Washington 3, Atlanta 0, WP Ross Detwiler (Drew Storen, save #42), LP Mike Miner

The final line: Nationals 3 runs, 9 hits, 0 errors, Braves 0 runs, 4 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Monday, September 26th vs the Florida Marlins in Florida, game time 7:10PM EDT. (The Nationals are 5-10 vs the Marlins, 2-7 in Washington and 3-3 in Miami.)

Nationals record: 78 wins, 80 losses

Current streak: 2 wins
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-25-2011, 07:43 PM.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

• Monday, Sep. 26th-Washington 6, Florida 4

The Nationals' final road trip of the season takes them to Miami for a 3 game series against the Marlins. The first game starts almost an hour late due to rain and there was some concern about the condition of the field after Sunday's Dolphins game.

Nationals starter Tommy Milone worked 4.1 innings, giving up 7 hits and 3 runs while walking 1 and striking out 4. The Nationals sent a grand total of 7 pitchers to the mound in the game with Atahualpa Severino earning the win and Henry Rodriguez being awarded his 2nd save of the season.

For the Marlins, Anibal Sanchez was the starter going 5 innings, giving up 5 hits and 3 runs (2 earned) while walking and striking out 5. Florida used 4 pitchers in the game with Edward Mujica being charged with both a blown save and the loss.

Extra base hits for Florida come from Omar Infante who tripled and Logan Morrison who doubled and homered.

For Washington, Ian Desmond doubled and Mike Morse continued his superlative season, hitting home run number 30 when it was needed most-with 2 outs in the top of the 9th and 2 runners on, Washington down 4-3. Morse's blast provided the margin of victory, ensuring that the Nationals would finish in 3rd place in the NL East!

This is the first time since 1945 that a Washington baseball team has finished this high in the standings. (The 1969 expansion Senators, in their only winning season, finished with a record of 86-76, 4th in the 6 team AL East.)

Washington 6, Florida 3, WP Atahualpa Severino (Henry Rodriguez, save #2), LP Edward Mujica

The final line: Nationals 6 runs, 10 hits, 1 error, Marlins 3 runs, 10 hits, 3 errors

Next game: Tuesday, September 27th vs the Marlins in Florida, game time 7:10PM EDT.

Nationals record: 79 wins, 80 losses

Current streak: 3 wins
      Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-27-2011, 09:47 AM.
      "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

• Tuesday, Sep. 27th-Marlins 3, Nationals 2

The Washington Nationals' slim chance for an over .500 season disappear in the bottom of the 9th inning when a 2 out, walk off home run by Bryan Petersen gives the Florida Marlins a 3-2 victory.

Marlins pitcher Javier Vazquez hurls a 9 inning complete game, giving up 5 hits and 2 runs, striking out 9 and not issuing any walks.

For the Nationals, John Lannan worked 6 innings, surrendering just 3 hits and 2 runs while walking 3 and striking out 4. The Nationals would summon 4 pitchers to the mound with Doug Slaten being charged with the loss.

4 of the Marlins 5 hits in the game went for extra bases-Emilio Bonifacio, Matt Dominguez and Mike Stanton all doubled with Petersen's already mentioned homer being the killing blow for the Nationals.

Washington got a double from Steve Lombardozzi and Mike Morse comes through again with his 31st home run of an outstanding season.

Florida 3, Washington 2 WP Javier Vazquez, LP Doug Slaten

The final line: Marlins 3 runs, 5 hits, 0 errors, Nationals 2 runs, 5 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Wednesday, September 28th vs the Marlins in Florida, game time 4:10PM EDT.

Nationals record: 79 wins, 81 losses

Current streak: 1 loss
        Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-28-2011, 07:24 PM.

Comment

• Wednesday, Sep. 28th-Nationals 3, Marlins 1

The Nationals conclude the season on a winning note, besting the Florida Marlins by the score of 3-1. Stephen Strasburg gets one last start and the win for Washington.

Strasburg would work 6 innings for Washington, giving up 1 hit and no runs while walking 2 and striking out 10. 5 Washington pitchers entered the game with Drew Storen earning his 43rd save of the season.

For Florida, Chris Volstad is charged with the loss. Volstad also worked 6 innings giving up 3 hits and 2 runs while walking 2 and striking out 5. Florida used 3 pitchers in the contest.

There were few extra base hits in the game-Florida's Gaby Sanchez doubled while Alex Cora tripled for Washington.

Washington 3, Florida 1, WP Stephen Strasburg, LP Chris Volstad

The final line: Nationals 3 runs, 5 hits, 0 errors, Marlins 1 run, 3 hits, 1 error

Next game: Thursday, April 5th, 2012 vs the Cubs in Chicago, game time TBD.

Nationals record: 80 wins, 81 losses

Current streak: 1 win

Moderator's Note: With the end of the National's 2011 season, this thread will be closed. Please post any post season discussion in this thread: Washington Nationals 2011-The Good, The Bad & The Ugly...
          Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-28-2011, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X