Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nationals 2011-The Good, The Bad & The Ugly...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nationals 2011-The Good, The Bad & The Ugly...

Please post your thoughts, observations and impressions of the 2011 season in this thread...
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

This feels like late September, 1960, except that the owners will NOT announce that they are moving to Minneapolis. Different team make-up: the 1960 team had power hitters plus a terrific young SS named Zorro Vaersalles, had Pascual (hurting) plus good seasons from unexpected places (Chuck Stobbs) and promising appearances by young pitchers Don Lee (I'm not looking up the name...think I got it right) and Jim Kaat.

This team has better young pitchers, but too many strikeout hitters.

Overall, my gut says that the New Nats will improve a bit with the pitchers, but the team needs

(a) SS and 2B who can hit respectably

(b) a power hitter. A "Joe Hardy", who might be Bryce Harper, arriving about September.

(c) No back-bone adjusting changes. No major trades, and probably none of the free agents are significantly better than what they have.

Steady-on and 85 to 90 wins next year. If Espinosa and Desmond learn to hit, rather than swing hard, they might even contend for something. That would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by welch View Post
      ...and promising appearances by young pitchers Don Lee (I'm not looking up the name...think I got it right)...
      You're correct! It was Don Lee. Here are his career stats courtesy Baseball-Almanac: (I remember having his baseball card when I was much younger.)

Don Lee, 1960 Washington Senators
      "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Here are some of my picks without giving this too much thought...

The Good:

The Nationals win 80 games and finish 3rd in the NL East. This is the first time since 1945 that a Washington baseball team has finished this high in the standings.

Jordan Zimmermann returns to form-while his 8-12 record isn't impressive, his 3.18 ERA was 10th in the NL.

Mike Morse's very capable play at 1st base filling in for an injured Adam Laroche and his breakout year at the plate-31 home runs!

The return of Stephen Strasburg.

The Nationals win the season series against both the Phillies and Mets with a 10-8 record and tie with Atlanta at 9-9.

Wilson Ramos' catching.

May 20th-The Nationals defeat the Orioles 17-5. (As an old Senators fan I really enjoyed this one!)

The Bad:

The Marlins still continue to dominate the Nationals-the season series ends at 7-11 in favor of Florida.

The Nationals finish 12th in the league in team batting average.

Ryan Zimmerman's 2+ months on the DL.

July 23rd-29th-a 6 game losing streak.

May 21st-25th-a 5 game losing streak.

The Ugly:

With the Nationals record at 38-37, manager Jim Riggleman abruptly resigns after Washington sweeps the Seattle Mariners. I still can't figure this one out.

Adam Laroche plays for 43 games with a torn labrum, his batting average at .172 with 26 hits (2 doubles and 3 homers) and 15 RBI before he's finally put on the DL with what ends up being a season ending injury.

July 7th-The Nationals jump out to an 8-0 lead over the Chicago Cubs but the Nationals' bullpen implodes and the Cubs win, 10-9.
        Last edited by Aa3rt; 10-01-2011, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X