This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Nationals Season Thread

A new baseball season always makes me happy. It's the Nationals' 2013 season. Post away.

Put it in the books.

Can't believe no one has commented on any of the great performances so far by the Nats young guys. Harper's 2 Opening Day HRs, Stras getting the W that game as well. Oh well, I just wanted to see how anyone felt about that 15-0 blowout in Cincy. I rarely watch Reds games, and I was just astonished at how many low line drives went out at that tiny park! I have always heard and read that it was an easy HR hitting place, but WOW that was ridiculous! Most of those "bombs" the Reds hit yesterday would have been balls in play in most MLB parks! Just ridiculous. There was a stat posted briefly that showed the top parks where HRs are hit per game, and I can't remember the #1, but Yankee Stadium, The Ballpark in Arlington, Colorado, and Cincy came next and I believe in that order. Poor Haren, just picked a bad day for his first start of the year.
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

The first 5 games, a little recap (April 1-6)

Monday, April 1 Opening Day! :hyper: The Nationals shut out the Miami Marlins on a gorgeous April 1st, no foolin'! Stephen Strasburg gets the win with 3 Washington pitchers making their way to the mound. All of the Nationals offense comes from two Bryce Harper solo homers. The final line: Washington 2 runs, 5 hits, 0 errors, Miami 0 runs, 3 hits, 0 errors.

Wednesday, April 3 The Nationals continue their winning ways with a second shut out of the Marlins, winning 3-0. Gio Gonzalez gets the start and the win, with 4 Nats pitchers being used. Gonzalez helps his cause with a homer. The final line: Washington 3 runs, 6 hits, 1 error, Miami 0 runs, 4 hits, 1 error

Thursday, April 4 The Nationals win their third in a row but do give up a run to Miami in a 6-1 win. Jordan Zimmermann gets the win, the first of 4 Washington pitchers to appear in the game. Jayson Werth strokes his first homer of the season. The final line: Washington 6 runs, 9 hits, 0 errors, Miami 1 run, 8 hits, 2 errors

h Friday, April 5 After 3 straight wins over the Marlins, the Nationals start their first road game of the year in Cincinnati and suffer their worst defeat since the team relocated from Montreal in a 15-0 blowout at the hands of the Reds. Cincinnati hitters batter Washington pitching for 6 home runs. All four of Washington's pitchers surrender at least one run with losing pitcher Dan Haren giving up 6. Making matters worse, even at this early point in the season, the Nationals were the only remaining underfeated team in the majors until this embarassing defeat. The final line: Cincinnati 15 runs, 19 hits, 0 errors, Washington 0 runs, 5 hits, 2 errors

Saturday, April 6 The Nationals bounce back in a 7-6 win over the Reds in 11 innings. Although the game did become a little dicey, with the Nationals almost giving the game away with 3 errors, they did prevail with Craig Stammen, the last of 4 pitchers Washington used, getting the win. Homering for the Nationals were Jayson Werth, Bryce Harper, Ian Desmond and Wilson Ramos who clubbed two round trippers. The final line: Washington 7 runs, 10 hits, 3 errors, Cincinnati 6 runs, 13 hits, 0 errors
      Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-16-2013, 11:19 PM.
      "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Sunday, April 7-Cincinnati 6, Washington 3

Stephen Strasburg works 5.1 innings, giving up 9 hits and 6 runs while striking out 5 but walking 4 and is charged with the loss in a Sunday outing at the Great American Ballpark.

The winning pitcher for the Reds was Johnny Cueto while Aroldis Chapman picks up the save.

The Nationals used 3 pitchers in the contest, the Reds 4. After holding the Marlins to 1 run in three games to open the season, Washington pitching surrendered 27 runs in 27 innings during the 3 game set against the Reds.

Washington's 3 runs come courtesy of a Kurt Suzuki 3 run homer. Ian Desmond, Danny Espinosa and Kurt Suzuki all doubled, Suzuki twice. The only extra base hit of the 11 stroked by the Reds was a double by Jay Bruce.

The final line: Reds 6 runs, 11 hits, 0 errors, Nationals 3 runs, 8 hits, 1 error.

Next game: Tuesday, April 9th vs the White Sox in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT.

Nationals record: 4 wins, 2 losses.
        "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

April 9, 10 & 11-Nationals sweep the White Sox in Washington!

After dropping two of three in Cincinnati, the Nationals return to Washington to some warmer weather and their first interleague play of the season.

Tuesday, April 9th Nationals 8, Chicago White Sox 7

Craig Stammen is charged with a blown save but gets the win in the opener of the three game set. Gio Gonzalez starts, going 5 innings, giving up 1 run and 2 walks while striking out 5. Rafael Soriano earns save number 3.
          Both teams use five pitchers in the game.

Adam LaRoche breaks out of an 0-15 slump with 2 home runs, Jayson Werth and Ian Desmond add one each while the White Sox get round trippers from Konerko and Rios.

The final line: Washington: 8 runs, 13 hits and 1 error, White Sox 7 runs, 11 hits, 1 error.

Wednesday, April 10th Nationals 5, White Sox 2

Jordan Zimmermann gets the win, Rafael Soriano save number 4 as the Nationals make it two in a row. The Nationals used 3 pitchers, the White Sox 4. Bryce Harper homers and Ian Desmond went 3 for 4 with 2 doubles and a triple. Danny Espinosa also doubled.

The final line: Washington 5 runs, 11 hits, 0 errors, White Sox 2 runs, 9 hits, 0 errors.

Thursday, April 11th Nationals 7, White Sox 4

Despite being outhit 13 to 10, the Nationals make it a sweep over the White Sox with a 7-4 win. Dan Haren is awarded the win while Rafael Soriano collects his 3rd save in as many nights. Offensive fireworks by the Nationals are limited to doubles from Ryan Zimmerman and Dan Haren.

The final line: Washington 7 runs, 10 hits, 0 errors, White Sox 4 runs, 13 hits, 1 error.

Comment

Friday, April 12-Atlanta 6, Washington 4 (10 innings)

After 3 straight wins against the White Sox, the Atlanta Braves come to Washington for a 3 game weekend set. "Home Sweet Home" wasn't so sweet as the Nationals bullpen falls apart like an '84 Yugo and wastes a great starting effort by Ross Detwiler, a home run by Bryce Harper and four stolen bases by Nats baserunners and spoiling Ryan Zimmerman's 1000th game in a Washington uniform. h

Detwiler started for the Nats, going 7 innings, giving up 4 hits, 1 run and 2 walks while striking out 5. Tyler Clippard started the 8th, getting two quick outs and then walking 3 and giving up 1 hit, walking in a run. Drew Storen relieved Clippard, working 1.1 innings, giving up 3 hits and 2 runs, 1 earned, the other coming from a costly Ryan Zimmerman throwing error with the bases loaded. The collapse was completed when Craig Stammen, who was charged with the loss, gave up a 2 run homer to Ramiro Pena with one on in the top of the 10th. :dismay: :grouchy

The Nationals used 4 pitchers, the Braves 5.

The Braves improve to 9-1, the Nationals drop to 7-3.

The final line: Braves 6 runs, 9 hits, 2 errors, Nationals 4 runs, 8 hits, 1 error. (10 innings)

Next game: Saturday, April 13th vs the Braves in Washington, game time 1:05PM EDT.

Nationals record: 7 wins, 3 losses.

Comment

April 13 & 14-Atlanta makes it a clean sweep in Washington

Saturday, April 13th Atlanta 3, Washington 1

The much touted matchup between Tim Hudson and Stephen Strasburg doesn't have the desired result for the home team as Strasburg's season record drops to 1-2. Strasburg's line-6 IP, 5H, 2R, 1BB and 7K. Atlanta's Evan Gattis stung Strasburg for a homer. Tim Hudson gets the win for the Braves.

The Nationals used 4 pitchers in the game, the Braves 3.

The only offense Washington was able to mount was a solo homer from Danny Espinosa, his first of the season.

The final line: Atlanta: 3 runs, 8 hits, 1 error, Washington 1 run, 4 hits, 1 error.

Nationals record: 7 wins, 4 losses

Sunday, April 14th Atlanta 9, Washington 0 h

Gio Gonzalez serves up batting practice on a Sunday afternoon, surrendering 7 hits, 7 runs including 2 homers while walking 3 and striking out 3 in 5 innings of work. Zach Duke gave up the other two runs to the Braves. The Nationals used 3 pitchers in the debacle.

For the Braves, Paul Maholm was the winner, the Braves also using 3 pitchers in the contest. Providing Atlanta's offense, Evan Gattis, Jason Heyward and BJ Upton all doubled, Upton performing the feat twice. Home runs came from the bats of Andrelton Simmons and Justin Upton.

The final line: Atlanta 9 runs, 12 hits, 0 errors, Washington 0 runs, 4 hits, 2 errors

Nationals record: 7 wins, 5 losses

Comment

Monday, April 15-Washington 10, Miami 3

Washington heads out on their second road trip of the season, making their first stop in Miami to face the Marlins. Jordan Zimmermann throws a complete game and ups his record to 3-0 on the season by holding the Marlins to 6 hits and 3 runs while walking 1 and striking out 6.

Wade Le Blanc was the starter for Miami and was charged with the loss, the Marlins bringing in 4 pitchers into the game.

Providing Washington's offense, Ian Desmond doubled twice while Steve Lombardozzi, Tyler Moore and Kurt Suzuki all contributed a two-bagger apiece. Ryan Zimmerman stroked his first home run of the season.

The final line: Washington 10 runs, 16 hits, 0 errors, Miami 3 runs, 6 hits and 0 errors.

Next game: Tuesday, April 17th vs the Marlins in Miami, game time 7:10PM

Nationals record: 8 wins, 5 losses
                Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-17-2013, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Tuesday, April 16-Miami 8, Washington 2

Another team warms up their bats against Nationals pitching as the Marlins score the most runs in one game thus far this season while Adeiny Hechavarria, hitting just .178, homers for Miami. The homer was the first in 9 games for Miami batters and the first one to be struck at home for the Marlins.

Washington starter Dan Haren is charged with the loss, going 4.1 innings, giving up 7 hits and 7 runs (3 earned) while walking 1 and striking out 2. Four of the runs charged to Haren were unearned after a Ryan Zimmerman throwing error. The Nationals used 4 pitchers in the game.

For the Marlins, starter Alex Sanabia went 6 innings, giving up 6 hits and 2 runs while walking 3 and striking out the same number. He raises his record to 2-1 on the young season. Miami used 3 pitchers.

Offense for the Marlins comes from Justin Ruggiano who doubled and the Hechavarria home run has already been discussed. Offense for the Nationals came in the form of doubles from Ian Desmond, Adam LaRoche, Steve Lombardozzi and Tyler Moore.

The final line: Miami 8 runs, 11 hits, 0 errors, Washington 2 runs, 8 hits, 1 error.

Next game: Wednesday, April 17 vs. the Marlins in Miami, game time 7:10PM

Nationals record: 8 wins, 6 losses
                  Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-17-2013, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Wednesday, April 17-Nationals 6, Marlins 1

The Nationals manage to take two of three from the Marlins in Miami with a 6-1 win on Wednesday night.

Starting, and winning pitcher Ross Detwiler pitches 7 innings, giving up 7 hits and 1 run while striking out 5 with no walks allowed. Starter Ricky Nolasco is tagged with the loss for the Marlins. Nolasco's line was remarkably similar to Detwiler's aside from the number of runs scored: 6 innings, 7 hits, 4 runs while striking out 6 and walking none. Washington sends 3 pitchers to the mound, Miami 4.

The Marlins get doubles from Placido Polanco and Chris Valaika while the Nationals benefit from a Bryce Harper double with Kurt Suzuki providing both a triple and a home run. Former Nat Austin Kearns went 2 for 4 for Miami.

The final line: Washington 6 runs, 11 hits, 1 error, Miami 1 run, 7 hits, 1 error.

Next game: Nationals vs the New York Mets in New York, Friday, April 19, game time 7:10PM

Nationals record: 9 wins, 6 losses

Comment

April 19-New York Mets 7, Washington Nationals 1

After a day off and a trip from Miami to New York, the Nationals resume play against the Mets at Citi Field.

Nationals ace Stephen Strasburg sees his record drop to an uncharacteristic 1-3 while Mets starter, and winner, Matt Harvey ups his record to 4-0 with an impressive win over the Nationals.

Harvey worked 7 innings, giving up 4 hits and 1 run while walking 3 and striking out 7. Strasburg lasted 6 innings giving up 5 hits and 2 earned runs while walking 2 and striking out 6. For the first time in his career, Strasburg gives up two home runs in the same inning.

Offense for the Mets comes from a double by former Nat Marlon Byrd, a triple from David Wright and 2 home runs a piece from Ike Davis and Lucas Duda. Davis and Duda would stike in the same inning both times, first against Strasburg, then later in the game against Nats reliever Drew Storen. The only offense of note for the Nats comes from a Stephen Strasburg double.

The final line: Mets 7 runs, 8 hits and 1 error, Nationals 1 run, 4 hits, 1 error.

Next game: Nationals vs the New York Mets in New York, Saturday, April 20, game time 3:05PM

Nationals record: 9 wins, 7 losses
                      Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-20-2013, 12:56 AM.

Comment

April 20-Nationals 7, Mets 6

The Nationals prevail in a see-saw contest that sees a combined total of 11 pitchers surrendering 13 runs. Neither starting pitcher lasted more than 4 innings and neither is the pitcher of record.

For the Mets, Jeremy Hefner got the nod, going 4 innings, giving up 4 hits, 3 runs and 3 walks while striking out 2. Nationals starter Gio Gonzalez also worked 5 innings, his line 5 hits, 5 runs 4 walks and 5 strikeouts.

The Mets used 6 pitchers in the game with Josh Edgin being charged with the loss. The Nationals sent 5 pitchers to the mound with Tyler Clippard being awarded the win and Rafael Soriano colecting save number 6.

Despite scoring 6 runs, the Mets only benefitted from two extra base hits, a double by catcher John Buck while David Wright stroked a triple. Washington countered with doubles from Danny Espinosa, Bryce Harper and Jayson Werth and home runs from Ian Desmond, Adam LaRoche and two from Bryce Harper including the eventual game winner in the top of the 8th inning. All 7 of Washington's runs came via the long ball.

The final line: Washington 7 runs, 7 hits and 0 errors, New York 6 runs, 7 hits and 0 errors.

In the bad news/good news department, Nationals 3rd baseman Ryan Zimmerman has been put on the 15 day DL due to a strained hamstring that was affecting his batting stride. The Nationals are planning on bringing up Anthony Rendon from the AA Harrisburg Senators of the Eastern League.

Next game: Sunday, April 21 vs the Mets in New York, game time 1:10PM

Nationals record: 10 wins, 7 losses
                        Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-20-2013, 07:02 PM.

Comment

April 21-Mets 2, Nationals 0

In the Sunday finale of a three game series with the New York Mets, 5 Mets pitchers hold the Nationals to 4 hits and no runs to take two of three games.

Jordan Zimmermann gets the starting nod for the Nationals, pitching 5 innings, giving up 2 hits, 2 runs and 3 walks while striking out 4. The Nationals used 3 pitchers in the game, Zimmermann's record now stands at 3-1.

For the Mets, Dillon Gee gets the start and the win for the Mets going 5.2 innings, giving up 3 hits and no runs while walking 3 and striking out 6. The Mets used 5 pitchers in the game, Bobby Parnell earns his second save of the year.

The only offense of note was was a John Buck homer off Zimmermann for the Mets. A couple of disappointments for the Nationals: With runners on first and second and no outs in the top of the 8th, Jayson Werth grounded into a double play on a 3-0 count. Rookie Anthony Rendon, called up when Ryan Zimmerman went on the disabled list, goes 0-4 in his major league debut.

The final line: New York 2 runs, 4 hits, 0 errors, Washington 0 runs, 4 hits, 3 errors.

Next game: St. Louis Cardinals at Washington, game time 7:05 PM

Nationals record: 10 wins, 8 losses

Comment

April 21-23 Cardinals sweep 3 from the Nationals

The Nationals return home after a six game road trip to Miami and New York. The home park advantage was nowhere to be found in a three game set against last years' playoff competition, the St. Louis Cardinals. The Cardinals held Washington to 4 runs in the three game series:

Monday, April 22nd St. Louis 3, Washington 2

In the only game that was even close, the Cardinals edged the Nationals by a score of 3-2 with both Washington runs being unearned.

St. Louis starter Shelby Miller worked 6 innings, giving up 3 hits, and 2 unearned runs. Miller walked 2 and struck out 8. The Cardinals would send 4 pitchers to the mound, with Edward Mujica getting his second save of the year.

For Washington, Dan Haren was the starter, and loser. Haren worked 5 innings, giving up 6 hits and 3 runs while walking 3 and striking out the same number. The Nationals also sent 4 pitchers to the mound.

Offense in the game came from a double by the Cardinals Allen Craig while the Nationals countered with doubles by Ian Desmond and Anthony Rendon, Rendon's two-bagger being his first major league hit.

The final line: St. Louis 3 runs, 8 hits, 2 errors, Washington 2 runs, 4 hits, 0 errors.

Tuesday, April 23rd Cardinals 2, Nationals 0

The Cardinals Adam Wainwright pitched 8.1 innings of shut out baseball, Edward Mujica earns his second shutout in as many nights and the Cardinals are victorious for the second night in a row. Wainwright surrendered 5 hits while striking out 9 and walking 1.

For the Nationals, Ross Detwiler gets the start, and the loss. Detwiler worked 6 innings giving up 8 hits and two runs while walking 2 and striking out 2. The Nationals used 3 pitchers in the game.

The Cardinals got doubles from Allen Craig and Matt Holliday while the Nationals countered with a 2 bagger by Bryce Harper.

The final line: Cardinals 2 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors, Nationals 0 runs, 5 hits, 0 errors.

Wednesday, April 24th Cardinals 4, Nationals 2

The Cardinals make it a clean sweep with a 4-2 victory over the nationals on get away day. St. Louis pitcher Jamie Garcia works 5.1 innings for the win, giving up 4 hits and 1 run while walking 1 and striking out 3. St. Louis sent 4 pitchers to the mound with who else, Edward Mujica, collecting his 3rd save in as many nights.

For the Nationals, Stephen Strasburg sees his record drop to an uncharacteristic 1-4. Strasburg worked 7 innings giving up 5 hits and 3 runs while walking 1 and striking out 7. The Nationals used 3 pitchers in the game.

The Cardinals got a double from Matt Carpenter while the Nationals got a double from Tyler Moore and a home run from Jayson Werth.

The final line: Cardinals 4 runs, 9 hits, 0 errors, Nationals 2 runs, 7 hits, 1 error.

Nationals record: 10 wins, 11 losses. h
                            Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-28-2013, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Thursday, April 25-Washington 8, Cincinnati 1

Thursday, April 25th Finally! The Nationals bats come to life in an 8-1 defeat of the Cincinnati Reds.

Washington's Gio Gonzalez worked 8 innings for the win, tossing a 1 hitter, giving up 1 run while walking 2 and striking out 7. The Nationals used two pitchers in the game.

For Cincinnati, Bronson Arroyo went 6 innings, giving up 9 hits and 6 runs (5 earned) while walking 1 and striking out 2. The Reds used 3 pitchers in the game.

Cincinnati's lone run came via a Joey Votto solo homer. For Washington, Bryce Harper and Danny Espinosa both doubled and homered while Washington, DC's own Denard Span stroked a triple for his hometown team.

The final line: Washington 8 runs, 12 hits, 0 errors, Cincinnati 1 run, 1 hit and 2 errors.

Nationals record: 11 wins, 11 losses

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X