Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They've won 8 of their last 10 games, but it looks like it's a case of "Too Little, Too Late" for the Nationals. They are still 5.5 games out of the last Wild Card spot with 17 days left on the regular season schedule. Their playoffs chances are now Mathematically Possible, but still Improbable.

Comment

I agree. the Nats could run the table and wind up with 93 wins. However, they are at St. Louis and Arizona for their final six games. I figure the Braves will accumulate 96 to 99 victories. The Reds however could be caught. They start on a 9-game road trip, and the Reds have a losing road record.

Comment

Friday, September 13th: Washington Nationals 6, Philadelphia Phillies 1

The Washington Nationals ignore superstition on Friday the 13th and continue their winning ways with a 6-1 victory over the visiting Philadelphia Phillies.

Washington starter Ross Olhendorf raises his record to 4-0 by working 5 innings, giving up 5 hits and 1 run while walking 2 and striking out 3. 4 Washington pitchers appeared in the contest.

For the Phillies, Kyle Kendrick is charged with the loss, dropping his record to 10-13. Kendrick would work 4.1 innings, giving up 8 hits and all 6 of the Nationals' runs. Kendrick would also walk 2 and strikeout 3. The Phillies sent 5 pitchers to the mound.

Kendrick did attempt to help his cause by stroking a double for the Phillies only extra base hit. For the Nationals Wilson Ramos and Ryan Zimmerman homered.

The final line: Washington 6 runs, 11 hits, 0 errors, Philadelphia 1 run, 8 hits, 1 error. Left on base: Washington 8, Philadelphia 6.

Next game: Saturday, September 14th vs the Phillies in Washington, game time 7:10PM EDT

Nationals record: 78 wins, 69 losses.

With both the Atlanta Braves and the Cincinnati Reds losing this evening, the Nationals are now 10 games behind the Braves in the NL East and 4.5 games behind the Cincinnati Reds in the chase for the 2nd NL wild card spot with 15 games left to play. :crossfingers:
        Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-14-2013, 10:24 AM.
        "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Hopefully they can eat all of their winning out of the way before we play them that last week. Actually, if you guys could lose three to us and win all of the other games to knock Dusty Baker out of the playoffs...that would be the best.
          1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
          The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

From Sports Illustrated...

Washington Nationals finally playing as expected but it may be too late
            "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Saturday, Sep. 14th: Phillies 5, Nationals 4

All good things must come to an end, or so the old adage goes, and that applied to the Nationals 7 game winning streak that was brought to a screeching halt on Saturday evening by the Phillies. Coupled with a win by the Cincinnati Reds, the Nationals fall back to 5.5 games behind the Reds for the 2nd wild card playoff spot. h

The Phillies starting pitcher, Cole Hamels collected the win, his 8th of the year against 13 losses. Hamels would work 6 innings, giving up 8 hits and 4 runs, 3 earned, while walking 3 and striking out 5. 6 Phillies pitchers would make their way to the mound with Jonathan Papelbon earning his 27th save of the season.

The Nationals also used 6 pitchers in the contest, starter Gio Gonzalez is charged with the loss, his record now 10-7. Gonzalez also worked 6 innings, giving up 9 hits and 4 runs, walking 2 and striking out 5.

The Phillies' bats provided most of the offensive fireworks in the game-Cody Asche, Jimmy Rollins and Carlos Ruiz all doubled, Ruiz performing the feat twice. John Mayberry homered for the victors. Ryan Zimmerman doubled for Washington.

The final line: Philadelphia 5 runs, 13 hits, 0 errors, Washington 4 runs, 10 hits, 0 errors. Left on base: Philadelphia 8, Washington 11.

Next game: Sunday, Sep. 15th, Philadelphia in Washington for the last game of the season between the two rivals, game time 1:35PM EDT

Nationals record: 78 wins, 70 losses

As mentioned previously, the Nationals are 5.5 games behind Cincinnati with 14 games left to play. Atlanta also won dropping the Nationals back, once again, to 11 games behind the NL East leaders. :dismay:
              Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-15-2013, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Sunday, Sep. 14th: Nationals 11, Phillies 2

The Nationals recover from yesterday's disappointing loss with a convincing 11-2 win over the visiting Phillies. The season series ends with Washington having won 11 games, Philadelphia 8.

Washington starter Jordan Zimmermann raises his league leading win total to 18, against 8 losses, by pitching 7 innings, giving up 7 hits and 2 runs while walking 2 and striking out 7. 3 Washington pitchers would make their way to the mound.

For Philadelphia, Tyler Cloyd is charged with the loss, his record now at 2-5 by giving up 10 hits and 5 runs in 4 innings. Cloyd would not walk any and strike out 1. The Philles would send 5 pitchers to the mound.

Philadelphia got 2 doubles from former Nat Roger Bernadina and another from Domonic Brown. Bernadina, nicknamed "The Shark" while playing in Washington, got a nice round of applause from the Washington crowd at his first plate appearance.

For the Nationals, Ian Desmond stroked double number 36 on the season and Bryce Harper also doubled, performing the feat twice. Wilson Ramos homered for Washington. Also of note, Denard Span extended his hitting streak to 26 games, going 2 for 5.

The final line: Washington 11 runs, 18 hits, 0 errors, Philadelphia 2 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors. Left on base: Washington 7, Philadelphia 6.

Next game: Monday, Sep. 16th vs the Atlanta Braves in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 79 wins, 70 losses

With just 13 games left, the Nationals are once again 4.5 games behind the Reds for the second wild card spot. Despite having a 4-0 lead in today's game against the Brewers, Milwaukee came back to notch a 6-5 victory over Cincinnati.

Tempering that though is the fact that the Nationals are a very disappointing 4-12 against Atlanta this season. The next 3 games are the final meeting between Atlanta and Washington for the year.

Comment

Monday, Sep. 16th: Atlanta Braves @ Washington Nationals postponed

Most everyone is aware, I'm sure, of the horrible crimes committed at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday, Sep. 16th.

Due to the close proximity of Nationals Park and the Navy Yard, in honor of those who lost their lives yesterday and coupled with the fact that the same Metro entrance used by Nationals patrons is also used by the Navy Yard, the game was postponed.

There will be a day-night doubleheader played Tuesday, Sep. 17th, game times 1:05PM and 7:05PM EDT

The Cincinnati Reds defeated the Houston Astros Monday evening, leaving Washington an even 5 games behind the Reds in pursuit of the last wild card playoff spot.

Comment

Sep. 17 & 18 Atlanta Braves in Washington

Tuesday, Sep. 17th (Game #1) This is the game that was rescheduled after Monday's tragedy at the Washington Navy Yard.

The Nationals manage to pull one out in the bottom of the 9th, thanks to some shaky relief pitching and a costly error by an Atlanta infielder, scoring 6 runs on 4 hits.

The final line: Washington 6 runs, 4 hits, 2 errors, Atlanta 5 runs, 9 hits, 2 errors

WP Ian Krol (1-2), LP Craig Kimbrel (3-3)

Tuesday, Sep. 17th (Game #2) The National shutout the Braves!

The final line: Washington 4 runs, 11 hits, 1 error, Atlanta 0 runs, 5 hits, 1 error

WP Tanner Roark (7-0), LP Freddy Garcia (1-2)

Wednesday, Sep. 18th The Nationals drop the third game of the series, the only bright spot is that Denard Span's hit streak is still alive at 29 games.

The final line: Atlanta 5 runs, 8 hits, 1 error, Washington 2 runs, 7 hits, 1 error

WP Kameron Loe (1-2), LP Ross Ohlendorf (4-1)

Next game: Thursday, Sep. 19th vs the Miami Marlins in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 81 wins, 71 losses

With 10 games left to play, the Nationals are 9 games behind Atlanta in the National League East. In the race for the second NL wild card spot, the Cincinnati Reds scored 2 runs in the top of the 13th to defeat the Houston Astros 6-5 and are 5.5 games ahead of the Nationals once again. :disgruntled:

NOTE: I will be out of town, and without Internet access for the next few days. If someone wants to continue this thread in my absence, please be my guest.

Comment

Catching up-for the last time this season!

Well folks, since no one picked up where I'd left off, here's a quick synopsis of what wasn't covered during my absence :

Thursday, Sep. 19th The Marlins come to Washington for a 4 game series with the Nationals taking the opener. Washington Nationals 3, Miami Marlins 2

The final line: Nationals 3 runs, 9 hits, 0 errors, Marlins 2 runs, 9 hits, 0 errors.

Of note, Bryce Harper stroked his 20th home run of the season while Denard Span sees his consecutive game hitting streak ended at 29 games, one game shy of the Nationals mark set by Ryan
                      Zimmerman.

Friday, Sep. 20th Nationals 8, Marlins 0

The final line: Washington 8 runs, 11 hits, 0 errors, Miami 0 runs 2 hits, 0 errors

Of note, Jordan Zimmermann wins his 19th game of the season.

Saturday, Sep. 21st Game postponed due to rain, rescheduled for a day/night double header on Sunday, the 22nd.

Sunday, Sep. 22nd, 1st game The Marlins win in Washington for the first time in 9 tries with a 4-2 victory over the Nationals.

The final line: Miami 4 runs, 12 hits, 0 errors, Washington 2 runs, 4 hits, 0 errors

Sunday, Sep. 22nd, 2nd game The Nationals rebound with a 5-4 win in the last game scheduled to be played in Washington this season.

The final line: Washington 5 runs, 9 hits, 0 errors, Miami 4 runs, 8 hits, 2 errors.

Monday, Sep. 23rd The Nationals head out for a 6 game road trip to cap off the season, the first stop-3 games in St. Louis. The Cardinals take the opener 4-3.

The final line: St. Louis 4 runs, 11 hits, 0 errors, Washington 3 runs, 7 hits, 0 errors

Tuesday, Sep. 24th The Nationals come within 1 out of being no-hit with Cardinals hurler Michael Wacha pitching a masterful performance, limiting Washington to a 2 out bloop single by Ryan
                      Zimmerman in the top of the 9th preventing Wacha from a no-hitter.

The final line: St. Louis 2 runs, 6 hits, 1 error, Washington 0 runs, 1 hit, 0 errors

Wednesday, Sep. 25th The Cardinals make it a clean sweep on the home turf with a 4-1 victory.

The final line: St. Louis 4 runs, 6 hits, 0 errors, Washington 4 runs, 9 hits, 0 errors

Friday, Sep. 27th The Nationals make their way to Arizona to end the season with a 3 game series against the Diamondbacks. Washington takes the first game by the score of 8-4.

The final line: Washington 8 runs, 9 hits, 0 errors, Arizona 4 runs, 9 hits, 0 errors.

Of note, Stephen Strasburg ends the season with an 8-9 record.

Next game: Saturday, Sep. 28th vs the Diamondbacks in Arizona, game time 8:10PM EDT

Nationals record: 85 wins, 75 losses
                      Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-28-2013, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Saturday, Sep 28th: Washington Nationals 2, Arizona Diamondbacks 0

Washington starter Dan Haren, who is about to become a free agent, puts a convincing finish on his season by pitching 7 shutout innings against the D'backs. Haren, who has had some struggles this season after signing a one year contract with the Nationals, ends up with a 10-14 record by holding Arizona to 4 hits while striking out 5 and walking 1. Washington sent 3 pitchers to the mound with Rafael Soriano picking up save number 43 on the season.

For the Diamondbacks, Brandon McCarthy sees his record drop to 5-11 by giving up 5 hits and 2 runs in 7 innings while walking 2 and striking out 1. Arizona also used 3 pitchers in the game.

The Nationals got a triple from Denard Span and a home run from Chad Tracy while Arizona countered with doubles from Matt Davidson and Chris Owings.

The final line: Washington 2 runs, 6 hits, 0 errors, Arizona 0 runs, 5 hits 0 errors.

Next game: Sunday, Sep 29th vs the Diamondbacks in Arizona, game time 4:10PM EDT

Nationals record: 86 wins, 75 losses

Comment

Sunday, Sep. 29th: Diamondbacks 3, Nationals 2

The Diamondbacks and the Nationals come to the end of the road, playing out the season on a Sunday afternoon. Arizona prevails 3-2, completing their campaign with an 81-81 record at precisely the .500 mark. The Nationals finish at 86-76 a disappointing 12 win decline after 2012's 98-64 record. The 86-76 mark matches the 1969 expansion Senators record, the expansion teams only winning record in their 11 year history.

Both starting pitchers performed well but neither figured in the decision. For the victors, Arizona's Wade Miley worked 7 innings, giving up 8 hits and 2 runs, 1 earned while walking 1 and striking out 2. David Hernandez was the eventual winner, working the 8th inning while Brad Ziegler worked the 9th for his 13th save of the season.

For Washington, Tanner Roark tossed 7 innings of 3 hit ball, giving up 1 run while walking 1 and striking out 3. Ryan Mattheus was charged with the loss, surrendering 4 hits and 2 runs in just two thirds of an inning. Xavier Cedeno was brought in to get the final out.

The only offense of note was a triple by the Nationals shortstop Zach Walters.

The FINAL final line: Arizona 3 runs, 7 hits, 2 errors, Washington 2 runs, 8 hits, 2 errors. Both teams stranded 7 runners.

Next game: Monday, March 31, 2014 vs the Mets in New York, game time TBD.

Nationals record: 86 wins, 76 losses

With the conclusion of the season, this thread will be locked. Please post any discussion of the Nationals 2013 season in the thread titled Washington Nationals 2013 post-season thread
                          Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-30-2013, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X