Rick Eckstein replaced as Nationals hitting coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick Eckstein replaced as Nationals hitting coach

Prior to the start of last night's game (Monday, July 22nd), the Washington Nationals announced that hitting coach Rick Eckstein was being replaced by former major leaguer Rick Schu. Eckstein had been the Nationals hitting coach since October of 2008.

After finishing with the best record in the major leagues in 2012, there was actually World Series talk by both the Nationals management and fans at the start of the 2013 season. However, the Nationals haven't failed to disappoint, languishing around the .500 mark for most of the season. Prior to the start of Monday's game the Nationals were in 27th place in the major leagues with a .240 batting average and 28th in runs scored.

Schu's major league career began in 1984 with the Philadelphia Phillies. He also donned the uniform of the Baltimore Orioles, Detroit Tigers, Los Angeles Angels and Montreal Expos as well as spending a short stint in Japan with the Nippon Ham Fighters. Schu had spent the last 4 years as the Nationals minor league hitting instructor.

Rick Schu career record, courtesy Baseball Almanac
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X