Nationals Celebrating Expos History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nationals Celebrating Expos History

I have been under the impression that the Washington Nationals wanted nothing to do with the franchise's history in Montreal, as shown by their un-retiring all of the numbers the Expos retired.

Now, I'm looking at the Spring 2017 edition of Memories and Dreams, a magazine published by the Baseball Hall of Fame, which features the Class of 2017 on the cover. Inside there's an ad from the Nationals, congratulating Tim Raines and Ivan Rodriguez on being elected. The ad has the Nationals and Expos logos at top, and says "CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR HALL OF FAMERS - The Washington Nationals are honored to have your legacies as part of our franchise history."

Is this something new, the Nationals acknowledging the Expos "as part of our franchise history," or would this just be something new to me because I don't follow the Nationals (go Mets!)? The line about "part of our franchise history" came across to me as very hypocritical - retired numbers are also part of a franchise's history, and the Nationals decided to throw away that history when they un-retired the Expos' numbers.
    X
    What's THAT guy doing?
    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

I guess I get your point, but I think there's a middle ground here, and particularly in light of the seeming increasing momentum for Montreal to re-gain a franchise sometime during the Manfred era. It can't, for instance, go unnoticed how the team has recognized Gary Carter in a big way previously, as well as Andre Dawson.
    www.facebook.com/UnifyBaseball

Comment

Originally posted by _sturt_ View Post
      It can't, for instance, go unnoticed how the team has recognized Gary Carter in a big way previously, as well as Andre Dawson.
      Well, it has... at least by me. Again, probably because I don't follow the Nationals. How have the Nationals recognized Gary Carter and Andre Dawson?
      X
      What's THAT guy doing?
      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
        Well, it has... at least by me. Again, probably because I don't follow the Nationals. How have the Nationals recognized Gary Carter and Andre Dawson?

2017-05-15_2130.png
        Last edited by _sturt_; 05-15-2017, 07:32 PM.
        www.facebook.com/UnifyBaseball

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X