Washington Nationals 2017 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday, May 4th Nationals 4, Diamondbacks 2

The Washington Nationals even up their record on the home stand at 3 - 3 as they defeat the Arizona Diamondbacks by a score of 4 - 2.

Starter Max Scherzer picks up win number 4, against 2 losses, by working 7 innings, giving up 2 hits, 2 walks and 1 run while striking out 11. The Nationals would use 4 pitchers with Enny Romero earning his first save of the season.

For Arizona, starter Braden Shipley, just up from AAA affiliate Reno, is charged with the loss. Shipley would pitch 4 innings, giving up 5 hits and 3 runs while walking 6 and striking out 2. The D'backs would use 3 pitchers in the game.

Both of Arizona's runs would come via solo homers from Jake Lamb and Paul Goldschmidt. For Washington, the only extra base hit would be a double by Anthony Rendon.

Arizona would execute 1 double play.

Nationals note: Max Scherzer is 5-0 with a 2.41 ERA in six starts against the Diamondbacks, his first major league team. Scherzer went 2 for 3 at the plate with 1 RBI.

The final line: Washington 4 runs, 9 hits, 0 errors, Arizona 2 runs, 4 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Friday, May 5th vs the Philadelphia Phillies in Philadelphia, game time 7:05PM

Nationals record: 19 wins, 9 losses
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Friday, May 5th Washington Nationals 4, Philadelphia Phillies 2

The Washington Nationals become the first team in the major leagues to reach to 20 win plateau with a 4 - 2 victory over the Phillies in Philadelphia. (The Houston Astros also have 19 wins but are playing on the west coast against the California Angels.)

Washington starter Stephen Strasburg gets the win with 5.2 innings pitched, having given up 5 hits and no runs while walking 4 and striking out 5. The Nationals used 4 pitchers in the game with Matt Albers picking up his first save of the season.

For Philadelphia, starter Nick Pivetta sees his record drop to 0 - 2. Pivetta would be charged with all 4 of Washington's runs. He'd give up 9 hits and strike out 6 while not walking any. The Phillies also sent 4 pitchers to the mound.

Offense for Philadelphia came from Odubel Herrera, Tommy Joseph and Michael Saunders while the Nationals would counter with doubles from Ryan Zimmerman and Michael A. Taylor and home runs from Zimmerman, Anthony Rendon and Stephen Strasburg who helped his cause with his second career round tripper.

There were no double plays in the game.

Nationals note: With tonight's solo home run, Ryan Zimmerman currently leads the National League in batting average (.424), home runs (12) and RBIs (31).

The final line: Washington 4 runs, 12 hits, 0 errors, Philadelphia 2 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Saturday, May 6th vs the Phillies in Philadelphia, game time 7:05PM

Nationals record: 20 wins, 9 losses
      "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Saturday, May 6th Nationals 6, Phillies 2

The Nationals make it 2 in a row against the Phillies with a Saturday evening 6 - 2 victory.

Washington pitcher A. J. Cole picks up his first win of the season by pitching 6 innings, giving up 6 hits and 1 run while walking 4 and striking out 2. The Nationals would use 3 pitchers in the game.

For Philadelphia, Vince Velasquez is charged with the loss, seeing his record drop to 2 - 3. Velasquez would pitch 7 innings giving up 7 hits and 6 runs while striking out 8 and not walking any. The Phillies used 2 pitchers.

The only extra base hit for the Phillies came from a Cameron Rupp solo home run while the Nationals got doubles from Daniel Murphy and Ryan Zimmerman and home runs from Zimmerman and Anthony Rendon.

The Nationals executed 2 double plays.

The final line: Washington 6 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors, Philadelphia 2 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Sunday, May 7th vs the Phillies in Philadelphia, game time 2:35PM

Nationals record: 21 wins, 9 losses

Comment

Sunday, May 7th Phillies 6, Nationals 5 (10 innings)

The Washington Nationals take a 5 - 2 lead into the 8th inning but can't hold on as the Philadelphia Phillies take advantage of the porous bullpen and defeat the visitors by a score of 6 - 5.

Neither starting pitcher would figure in the decision as Washington sends 5 pitchers to the mound, Philadelphia 4.

Phillies starter Jeremy Hellickson worked 5 innings, giving up 5 hits and 3 runs, striking out 4 and walking 3. Hector Neris, the 4th Philadelphia pitcher, would earn his first win of the season, evening his record at 1 - 1, pitching a perfect 9th and 10th inning.

The Nationals waste a good start from Tanner Roark who pitched 6 innings, giving up 2 hits and 2 runs while walking 3 and striking out 5. Matt Albers, Washington's 3rd pitcher, would come on in the bottom of the 8th with 2 out and 2 runners on only to give up a 3 run home run to Aaron Altherr on the first pitch he threw, tying the game for Philadelphia. :dismay: Blake Treinen is charged with the loss. Treinen would come on in the bottom of the 10th and immediately load the bases via 2 hits and a walk. After striking out the next batter, a sacrifice fly from the bat of Freddy Galvis would score the runner from third, giving the Phillies the win.

Offense for the Nationals was all Jayson Werth, who stroked a double and 2 home runs in what had been his home stadium from 2007 - 2010. For the Phillies, Odubel Herrera and Freddy Galvis doubled and Altherr's game tying homer has already been mentioned.

The Nationals completed 2 double plays, the Phillies none.

The final line: Philadelphia 6 runs, 10 hits, 1 error, Washington 5 runs, 7 hits, 2 errors

Next game: Monday, May 8th vs the Baltimore Orioles in Baltimore, game time 7:05 PM The Nationals and Orioles resume the "Battle of the Beltways", as it is known in this region, with a 4 game series, two games being played in each park.

Nationals record: 21 wins, 10 losses

Comment

Monday, May 8th Baltimore Orioles 6, Washington Nationals 4

The Washington Nationals begin the "Battle of the Beltways" with a 6 - 4 loss to the Orioles in Baltimore. :disgruntled:

Baltimore starter Kevin Gausman picks up his 2nd win of the season, his record now 2 - 3, by working 7 innings, giving up 5 hits and 2 runs while walking 1 and striking out 8. The Orioles would use 3 pitchers with Brad Brach earning his 8th save of the season.

For Washington, starter Gio Gonzalez is charged with the loss, his first of the season, giving up all 6 of Baltimore's runs, dropping his record to 3 - 1. Gonzalez' final line, 7 hits, 6 runs (Including 3 homers), 4 walks and 2 strikeouts. Washington also used 3 pitchers.

Extra base hits for the Orioles come from a double by Jonathan Schoop and homers from Joey Rickard, Mark Trumbo and Trey Mancini. The Nationals countered with doubles off the bats of Jayson Werth, Anthony Rendon, Matt Wieters and Michael A. Taylor while Bryce Harper stroked his 10th round tripper of the season.

The Nationals executed 2 double plays, the Orioles 1.

The final line: Baltimore 6 runs, 10 hits, 0 errors, Washington 4 runs, 8 hits, 1 error

Next game: Tuesday, April 9th vs the Orioles in Baltimore, game time 7:05PM

Nationals record: 21 wins, 11 losses
            Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-08-2017, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Tuesday, May 9th Orioles 5, Nationals 4 (12 innings)

The Nationals lose their 3rd in a row by dropping a 5 - 4 decision to the Orioles in 12 innings.

Washington wastes an outstanding performance by Max Scherzer who worked 8 innings, giving up 4 hits and 2 runs while striking out 11 and walking 2. The Nationals held a 4 - 2 lead going into the bottom of the 8th inning when Enny Romero gave up 2 runs on 3 hits, allowing the Orioles to tie. The collapse was complete in the bottom of the 12th when Jacob Turner loaded the bases with 2 hits and an intentional walk and then surrendered the game winning single to Mark Trumbo. :choke: The Nationals used 5 pitchers in the game.

For Baltimore, starter Ubaldo Jimenez pitched 7.2 innings, but the win goes to Logan Verrett who raises his record to 2 - 0. Verrett would hurl 3 innings of 2 hit relief, walking 1. The Orioles sent 3 pitchers to the mound.

Offense for Baltimore comes in the form of doubles from Jonathan Schoop and J. J. Hardy and home runs from Seth Smith and Adam Jones. The Nationals would counter with a double from Ryan Zimmerman and home runs from Daniel Murphy and Adam Lind.

The Orioles would execute 1 double play.

The final line: Baltimore 5 runs, 12 hits, 0 errors, Washington 4 runs, 8 hits, 1 error

Next game: Wednesday, May 10th vs the Orioles in Washington, game 3 of the 4 game home and home set, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 21 wins, 12 losses
              Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-10-2017, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Wednesday, May 10th Nationals 7, Orioles 6

The Washington Nationals, after trailing in the game from the 2nd inning on, manage to stage a come from behind win in the bottom of the 9th, scoring 3 times to defeat the Baltimore Orioles by a score of 7 - 6.

(In other sports news, the Nationals win is the only bright spot of the evening for Washington sports fans as the Washington Capitals lose game 7 at home in the Stanley Cup Eastern Conference semi-finals to the Pittsburgh Penguins by a score of 2 - 0 while the Washington Wizards are now down 3 games to 2 as the Boston Celtics convincingly win 123 - 101 in game 5 of the NBA Eastern Conference semi-finals.)

Stephen Strasburg was the starter for Washington, working 6 innings, giving up 8 hits and 5 runs while walking 2 and striking out 9. Matt Albers would get the win for Washington, raising his record to 2 - 0, by striking out the side in the top of the 9th. Washington used 3 pitchers.

For the Orioles, starter Wade Miley work pitch 5 innings, giving up 5 hits and 2 runs while walking 4 and striking out 5. Baltimore would send 5 pitchers to the mound with Brad Brach being charged with his 1st loss of the season after giving up 4 hits, 1 walk and 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th.

Extra base knocks for the Orioles would come from doubles by Seth Smith and Jonathan Schoop and homers by Manny Machado and Mark Trumbo. The Nationals would counter with doubles off the bats of Bryce Harper and Matt Wieters and home runs from Jayson Werth and Michael A. Taylor. However, the big hit of the game was a bases loaded single by former Orioles Matt Wieters in the bottom of the 9th that scored both the tying and winning runs.

The Nationals pulled off 2 double plays, the Orioles 1.

The final line: Washington 7 runs, 13 hits, 0 errors, Baltimore 6 runs, 10 hits, 1 error

Next game: Thursday, May 11th. The final game of the "Battle of the Beltways", Baltimore at Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 22 wins, 12 losses
                Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-11-2017, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Thursday, May 11th, Baltimore at Washington, postponed, rain

Game 4 of the Baltimore vs Washington series was postponed due to the persistent rain that fell in the Washington region for a better part of the day Thursday. No make up date has been selected as of this posting.

Next game: Friday, May 12th vs the Philadelphia Phillies in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Comment

Friday, April 12th Philadelphia Phillies at Washington Nationals, postponed, rain

Due to the continuing persistent rain in the Washington, DC region, the opening game of the 3 game series with the visiting Philadelphia Phillies has been postponed. It has been rescheduled for Sunday, May 14th @ 7:05PM as part of a Mother's Day day/night doubleheader. The opener begins at 1:35PM.

Next game: Saturday, May 13th, Philadelphia at Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Comment

Saturday, May13th Washington Nationals 6, Philadelphia Phillies 4

After 2 days of rain delays, the Philadelphia Phillies and Washington Nationals finally meet on a cold and damp Saturday night in Washington, with the home team emerging victorious thanks to some bottom of the 9th heroics from Adam Lind who singled as a pinch hitter with 2 outs followed by a game winning home run off the bat of Bryce Harper.

Both teams would send 6 pitchers to the mound in the contest with the last hurler for each team to make an appearance being the pitcher of record.

For Washington, Tanner Roark got the start but uncharacteristically struggled through 4.2 innings, giving up 6 hits and 4 runs while walking 3 and striking out 5. Shawn Kelley picks up the win, his record now 3 - 0, but it wasn't easy as he pitched 1 inning and walked 2 in addition to uncorking a wild pitch before getting the final out.

Philadelphia starter Nick Pivetta coincidentally had almost an identical line to Roark's, working 4.2 innings, giving up 5 hits and 4 runs, walking 4 and striking out 5. Edubray Ramos is tagged with the loss, dropping his record to 0 - 3.

The Phillies had jumped out to a 4 - 0 lead before Washington battled back with 4 runs in the 5th and the 2 in the bottom of the 9th that sealed the game for the Nationals.

Extra base knocks for Philadelphia come in the form of doubles from Ty Kelly and Tommy Joseph while the Nationals counter with doubles from Ryan Zimmerman, Daniel Murphy and Michael A. Taylor while Trea Turner and Bryce Harper both homered with 1 aboard.

The Nationals pulled off 2 double plays, the Phillies 1.

Nationals notes: Earlier in the day, Bryce Harper had reached an agreement for the 2018 season, signing a contract worth $21,625,000. Both Koda Glover and Shawn Kelley returned from the 10 day DL while A. J. Cole and Matt Grace were optioned to Syracuse.

The final line: Washington 6 runs, 10 hits, 0 errors, Philadelphia 4 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors.

Next game(s): Sunday, May 14th, a day/night Mother's Day double header. Game 1 starts @ 1:35PM, game 2, a make up game for Friday, starts @ 7:05PM

Nationals record: 23 wins, 12 losses
                      Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-14-2017, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Sunday, May 14th Game 1 Phillies 4, Nationals 3

The Washington Nationals take a 3 - 1 lead into the 9th inning only to have the porous bullpen once again fall apart like an '84 Yugo, allowing the Philadelphia Phillies score 3 times and come away 4 - 3 winners in the opening game of the Mother's Day day/night doubleheader. The Nationals waste a good pitching performance by Gio Gonzalez and home runs from Bryce Harper and Trea Turner.

For Philadelphia, Jeremy Hellickson started on the mound, working 6 innings, giving up 6 hits and 3 runs while striking out 1 and not walking any. It was Joaquin Benoit, the 3rd of 4 pitchers, who would pick up the win, raising his record to 1 - 2, while Hector Neris would be credited with save number 4 on the season.

For the Nationals, Gio Gonzalez worked 6.2 innings, giving up 4 hits and 1 run while walking 3 and striking out 5. The Nationals would send 5 pitchers to the mound with Shawn Kelley being tagged with the loss. Kelley would give up a home run, 2 doubles and a walk in just 0.1 innings. The collapse would be complete when Koda Glover came on, giving up 2 singles and 1 run although the run was charged to Kelley.

Offense for the Phillies came from doubles by Maikel Franco, Cameron Rupp and Brock Stassi and home runs by Aaron Altherr and Tommy Joseph while the Nationals got a triple from Anthony Rendon and the already mentioned home runs from Harper and Turner. :dismay:

The Nationals completed 3 double plays, the Phillies 2.

The final line: Philadelphia 4 runs, 10 hits, 1 error, Washington 3 runs, 9 hits, 2 errors

Next game: Game 2 of the day/night doubleheader, Philadelphia @ Washington, game time 7:05PM

Nationals record: 23 wins, 13 losses

Comment

Sunday, May 14th Game 2 Nationals 6, Phillies 5

Despite another shaky performance from the bullpen, and a scary moment when Max Scherzer was struck by a line drive, the Nationals manage to come up with 2 runs in the bottom of the 8th inning to salvage a split with the Philadelphia Phillies with a 6 - 5 win.

Nationals starter Scherzer worked 6 innings, giving up 9 hits and 3 runs while striking out 8 and not walking any. In the 4th inning, with Aaron Altherr on base after being struck by a pitch, Phillies batter Michael Saunders hit a screamer back at the mound that struck Scherzer in the knee. He collapsed on the mound, obviously in pain. However after being attended to by the trainers and hobbling around the mound for a bit, Scherzer opted to stay in the game finishing out the inning and completing 2 more before yielding to Matt Grace in the 7th. Grace is credited with a hold while Jacob Turner picks up the win, his record now 2 - 1, despite giving up 1 run in 0.2 innings. Matt Albers is credited with save number 2.

For the Phillies, Vince Velasquez got the start, pitching 5 innings, giving up 5 hits and 3 runs while walking 3 and striking out 5. The Phillies sent 5 pitchers to the mound with Pat Neshek being charged with the loss. Brought in for the 8th inning, Neshek gave up a home run to Michael A. Taylor with 1 aboard, the first runs he's surrendered this season. His record is now 0 - 1.

Offense for the Phillies comes from a Michael Saunders double and a Freddy Galvis triple while the Nationals countered with doubles from Bryce Harper, Jose Lobaton and Brian Goodwin and the Taylor home run that proved to be the game winner.

There were no double plays in the game.

Nationals notes: With the Mother's Day double header split, the Nationals are 12 - 7 at home and 12 - 6 on the road. After having met the Phillies 12 times in the first 6 weeks of the season, the two teams won't meet again until September 7th with 7 more games between them.

The final line: Washington 6 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors, Philadelphia 5 runs, 10 hits, 1 error

Next game: Tuesday, May 16th vs the Pittsburgh Pirates in the Steel City, game time 7:05PM EDT (The Nationals are on a brief 6 game road trip, playing 3 in Pittsburgh and 3 in Atlanta before returning home to face the Seattle Mariners on Tuesday, May 23rd.)

Nationals record: 24 wins, 13 losses

Comment

Tuesday, May 16th Washington Nationals 8, Pittsburgh Pirates 4

The Washington Nationals start the 6 game road trip on a winning note with an 8 - 4 defeat of the Pirates in Pittsburgh.

Stephen Strasburg ups his record to 4 - 1 by pitching 6 innings, giving up 4 hits and 3 runs while striking out 3 and walking 3 as well. Dusty Baker gives the Nationals bullpen a workout with 5 pitchers working in relief.

For the Pirates, starter Chad Kuhl sees his record drop to 1 - 4. Kuhl surrendered 10 hits and 6 runs in 4 innings of work, walking 1 and striking out 3. Pittsburgh sent 4 pitchers to the mound.

Offense for the Nationals comes from doubles by Trea Turner, Ryan Zimmerman and Anthony Rendon, a triple from Michael A. Taylor and home runs from Wilmer Difo (His first of the season) and Bryce Harper (Number 12). The Pirates counter with doubles from Adam Frazier, Josh Harrison, John Jaso and Josh Bell and a home run from Harrison.

The Pirates completed 2 double plays, the Nationals 1.

The final line: Washington 8 runs, 14 hits, 1 error, Pittsburgh 4 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Wednesday, May 17th vs the Pirates in Pittsburgh, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 25 wins, 13 losses

Comment

Wednesday, May 17th Pirates 6, Nationals 1

The Washington Nationals modest 2 game winning streak comes to a halt in Pittsburgh as the Pirates are victors by a score of 6 - 1. The game looked like a pitcher's duel for the first 5 innings with neither team being able to put a runner across the plate. That would change in the bottom of the 6th when the Pirates scored 3 runs on a Josh Bell homer with 2 on. The Nationals were never able to mount any kind of offense, just managing 1 run in the top of the 7th.

Pirates pitcher Gerrit Cole raises his record to 2 - 4 by pitching 7 strong innings, giving up just 3 hits and 1 run while walking 2 and striking out 3. The Pirates sent 3 pitchers to the mound. For the Nationals, starter Jacob Turner sees his record drop to 2 - 2. Turner pitched 5.1 innings, giving up 4 hits and 3 runs while walking 4 and striking out 1. Washington used a total of 5 pitchers with Oliver Perez giving up 2 runs, Matt Albers 1.

There were only 2 extra base hits in the game - the 3 run homer by Josh Bell for Pittsburgh and a Nationals double by Brian Goodwin.

Washington turned 2 double plays.

Nationals note: After optioning Matt Grace to AAA Syracuse yesterday, he was recalled today after Joe Blanton was placed on the 10 day DL.

The final line: Pittsburgh 6 runs, 7 hits, 0 errors, Washington 1 run, 3 hits, 2 errors

Next game: Thursday, May 18th, Washington at Pittsburgh, game time 12:35PM EDT. The teams conclude their 3 game series before the Nationals make their way to Atlanta for another 3 game set, this time with the Braves.

Nationals record: 25 wins, 14 losses
                              Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-17-2017, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Thursday, May 18th Pirates 10, Nationals 4

The Pittsburgh Pirates take 2 of 3 from the Washington Nationals as they dish out a 10 - 4 defeat on their home turf in an afternoon contest. The Pirates outhit the Nationals 13 - 6 as Washington starter Tanner Roark is charged with 7 runs in the loss. :dismay:

Pittsburgh starter Tyler Glasnow raises his record to 2 - 3 by working 5 innings, giving up 3 hits, 4 runs, striking out 6 and walking 3. The Pirates used 5 pitchers in the game. For Washington, Tanner Roark sees his record drop to 3 - 2 as he gives up 7 runs on 8 hits, walking 4 and striking out 3. The Nationals would send a total of 4 pitchers to the mound.

Offense for the Pirates came from doubles by Adam Frazier and Andrew McCutchen and home runs by Josh Bell and John Jaso while the Nationals would counter with 2 baggers from Adam Lind and Ryan Zimmerman and a round tripper from Daniel Murphy.

Nationals note: Ryan Zimmerman was originally scheduled to have the day off with Adam Lind playing 1st base. Zimmerman was brought into the game in the bottom of the 6th inning with 1 out as Enny Romero came into the game to pitch. Ryan would respond with a double and a strike out in 2 at bats.

The final line: Pittsburgh 10 runs, 13 hits, 1 error, Washington 4 runs, 6 hits, 2 errors

Next game: Friday, May 19th vs the Braves in Atlanta, game time 7:35PM EDT

Nationals record: 25 wins, 15 losses
                                Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-19-2017, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X