Washington Nationals 2017 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday May 19th, Atlanta Braves 7, Washington Nationals 4

The Washington Nationals see their losing streak extended to 3 games with a 7 - 4 defeat at the hands of the Braves in Atlanta.

Neither starting pitcher is the pitcher of record as the Braves send 5 pitchers to the mound, the Nationals 4. Atlanta starter R.A. Dickey worked 5.1 innings, giving up 8 hits and 4 runs, walking 3 and striking out 4. The win goes to Arodys Viscaino, his record now 2 - 1 while Jim Johnson picks up save number 7. For the Nationals, Gio Gonzalez pitched 5.2 innings, giving up 9 hits and 4 runs, walking 3 and striking out 5. Enny Romero is charged with the loss, dropping his record to 2 - 2. Romero gave up 3 runs in the bottom of the 8th.

Atlanta got offensive fireworks from doubles by Kurt Suzuki and Dansby Swanson and round trippers from Matt Kemp, Suzuki and Swanson. Washington countered with doubles from Daniel Murphy, Matt Wieters and Michael A. Taylor while Murphy also homered.

Both teams executed 1 double play.

The final line: Atlanta 7 runs, 12 hits, 1 error, Washington 4 runs 8 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Saturday, May 20th, Washington at Atlanta, game time 4:10PM EDT

Nationals record: 25 wins, 16 losses
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-26-2017, 09:12 PM.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Saturday, May 20th Braves 5, Nationals 2

The Washington Nationals losing skid reaches 4 games as the Braves hand them a 5 - 2 defeat in Atlanta. h

In a game that was held up by a 2 hour rain delay after the 5th inning, 6 Atlanta pitchers hold the Nationals to 2 runs. Atlanta's starting pitcher, Bartolo Colon, would come away with a no decision despite working 4.1 innings, giving up 7 hits and 2 runs while striking out 6 and not walking any. Ian Krol evens his record at 1 - 1 and Jim Johnson picks up save number 8. Washington starter Max Scherzer sees his record drop to 4 - 3. Scherzer would pitch 4 hits and 3 runs on 2 home runs while walking 3 and striking out 6. The Nationals sent 4 pitchers to the mound.

Offense for the Braves came from a double by Brandon Phillips and home runs from Matt Kemp, Rio Ruiz (The first of his young career) and Tyler Flowers. Atlanta pitching handcuffed Washington's batters; there were no extra base hits by the Nationals.

There were no double plays in the game.

The final line: Atlanta 5 runs, 9 hits, 1 error, Washington 2 runs, 7 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Sunday, May 21st, last game of the 3 game set in Atlanta, game time 1:35PM EDT

Nationals record: 25 wins, 17 losses
      "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Sunday, May 21st Nationals 3, Braves 2

Stephen Strasburg records a season high 11 strikeouts as the Washington Nationals salvage 1 game in Atlanta, defeating the Braves 3 - 2. The Nationals head home with after compiling a 2 - 4 record on this short road swing.

Strasburg pitched a solid 7.2 innings, giving up 5 hits and 2 runs, walking 1 and, as has already been mentioned, struck out 11. Strasburg pitched 7 shutout innings, fading in the bottom of the 8th, surrendering a double with 2 on base, accounting for the Braves scoring. Koda Glover picks up his 3rd save of the season, giving up 1 hit and striking out 1.

For the Braves, starter Jamie Garcia sees his record drop to 1 - 3. Garcia would pitch 8 full innings, giving up 7 hits and 3 runs, just 1 earned, while striking out 8 and not walking any. Reliever Luke Jackson worked a hitless 9th.

Extra bases for Washington come from a triple by Wilmer Difo and a Daniel Murphy home run. Atlanta would counter with doubles from Dansby Swanson, Nick Markakis, Matt Kemp and Jamie Garcia.

The Nationals got a gift in the ninth when, with a runner on 1st, Matt Adams hit a screaming liner to 1st baseman Ryan Zimmerman allowing him to execute an unassisted double play. The Braves would execute 1 DP as well.

The final line: Washington 3 runs, 7 hits, 0 errors, Atlanta 2 runs, 6 hits, 2 errors

Next game: Tuesday, May 23rd Seattle Mariners vs the Washington Nationals in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 26 wins, 17 losses

Comment

Tuesday, May 23rd Washington Nationals 10, Seattle Mariners 1

A day off and a return home seem to be just what the doctor ordered as the Washington Nationals erupt for 10 runs, including 4 round trippers, and hold the Seattle Mariners to 5 hits in a 10 - 1 win.

Washington starter Joe Ross, just recalled from Syracuse, worked 8 full innings, giving up 5 hits and 1 run while striking out 6 and not walking any. Matt Grace pitched a perfect 9th. For Seattle, starter Christian Bergman sees his record drop to 1 - 2 by giving up 14 of Washington's 15 hits and all 10 runs. Bergman would walk 2 without any strikeouts. Emilio Pagan pitched the final 4 innings for Seattle giving up just 1 hit while striking out 4.

Seattle's lone run came from a Mike Zunino solo homer in the top of the 6th while Washington saw Anthony Rendon double, Trea Turner triple and got 4 homers, one apiece from Jayson Werth and Bryce Harper while Anthony Rendon homers twice.

Both teams executed 2 double plays.

Nationals notes: Brian Goodwin was optioned to Syracuse to make room for Joe Ross who was called up. Joe Ross has benefitted from 62 runs in his 4 starts, the highest in major league history according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

The final line: Washington 10 runs, 15 hits, 0 errors, Seattle 1 run, 5 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Wednesday, May 24th vs the Seattle Mariners in Washington, game time 7:05PM

Nationals record: 27 wins, 17 losses

Comment

Wednesday, May 24th Nationals 5, Mariners 1

Despite being outhit 9 - 7, the Washington Nationals defeat the Seattle Mariners by a score of 5 - 1, extending their modest winning streak to 3 games.

Nationals starter Tanner Roark raises his record to 4 - 2 by pitching 7 innings, giving up 8 hits but just 1 run while striking out 8 and not walking any. Washington would send 4 pitchers to the mound. For the Mariners, starter Sam Gaviglio loses his first, his record 0 - 1. Gaviglio would give up 6 hits and 5 runs, walking 2 and striking out 1. Seattle would use 3 pitchers.

Extra base hits for Washington come from a Daniel Murphy double and a 3 run home run from Anthony Rendon (His 8th of the season) while Seattle got doubles from Kyle Seager and Robinson Cano.

Both teams executed 1 double play.

The final line: Washington 5 runs, 7 hits, 0 errors, Seattle 1 run, 9 hits, 1 error

Next game: Thursday, May 25th, Seattle @ Washington, game time 12:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 28 wins, 17 losses

Comment

Thursday, May 25th Mariners 4, Nationals 2

The Washington Nationals 3 game winning streak comes to a halt while the Seattle Mariners end a 5 game losing skid with a 4 - 2 victory in Washington.

The Nationals held a 2 - 0 lead in the 6th when reliever, and losing pitcher Jacob Turner surrendered a 3 run home run to Seattle's Nelson Cruz.

Gio Gonzalez started the game for Washington, working 5.1 innings, giving up 3 hits, 4 walks and striking out 8. 2 runs were charged to Gonzalez as he'd allowed 2 base runners in the top of the 6th when Turner gave up the homer to Cruz. Jacob Turner sees his record drop to 2 - 3. Washington sent a total of 6 pitchers to the mound. For Seattle, starter Ariel Miranda raises his record to 4 - 2 by pitching 5 innings of 3 hit, 2 run ball while striking out 4 and walking 3. The Mariners would also send 6 pitchers to the mound with Edwin Diaz picking up save number 8 on the season.

Aside from Cruz' home run the only other extra base hit for Seattle was a Kyle Seager double. The Nationals got doubles from Bryce Harper and Jose Lobaton and home run number 9 from Anthony Rendon.

The Nationals pulled off 3 double plays.

The final line: Seattle 4 runs, 9 hits, 1 error, Washington 2 runs, 6 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Friday, May 26th vs the San Diego Padres in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT The Padres, who were almost the Washington franchise way back in 1974, come to town for a 3 game series.

Nationals record: 28 wins, 18 losses

Comment

Friday, May 26th Washington Nationals 5, San Diego Padres 1

The Washington Nationals hold the San Diego Padres to 3 hits, and Max Scherzer comes within 1 out of a complete game, with a 5 - 1 win in Washington.

Scherzer raises his record to 5 - 3 by pitching 8.2 innings of 3 hit, 1 run ball, striking out 13 and walking 2. It was only after loading the bases in the 9th with 2 out that Scherzer was relieved by Koda Glover who got the final out, picking up save number 4.

For the Padres, starter Luis Perdomo sees his record drop to 0 - 2. Perdomo worked 6 innings, giving up 6 hits and 3 runs while walking 2 and striking out 6. San Diego sent 3 pitchers to the mound.

All of the scoring in the game was via the long ball. San Diego's Ryan Schimpf hit a solo shot in the 4th, incidentally the Padres' only extra base hit, while the Nationals got a solo shot from Trea Turner in the 1st and 2 run homers from Michael A. Taylor in the 4th and Bryce Harper in the 7th. This was Harper's 15th home run of the season. Washington also got doubles from Turner, Anthony Rendon and Matt Wieters.

The Nationals executed 1 double play.

Nationals note: Harper's home run puts him in 1st place for National League homers. There are 3 players tied for 2nd place with 14.

The final line: Washington 5 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors, San Diego 1 run, 3 hits, 1 error

Next game: Saturday, May 27th vs the Padres in Washington, game time 4:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 29 wins, 18 losses

Comment

Saturday, May 27th Nationals 3, Padres 0

The Washington Nationals finally reach the 30 win plateau, in part thanks to a career high 15 strikeouts from Stephen Strasburg, and record their first shutout of the season in a 3 - 0 defeat of the San Diego Padres.

Strasburg raised his record to 6 - 1 by working 7 innings, giving up 3 hits and no runs while walking 1 and striking out 15. Coincidentally Strasburg's career record against his hometown Padres is 6 - 1. Matt Albers pitched perfect 8th and Koda Glover did the same in the 9th, picking up his 5th save in the process.

For the Padres, starter Clayton Richard is stuck with the loss, dropping his record to 3 - 6. Richard surrendered 10 hits and 3 runs in 6 innings while walking 1 and striking out 5. Former National Craig Stammen faced his former team in the 7th and 8th, walking 1 and striking out 3.

The Nationals got doubles from Jayson Werth and Anthony Rendon and a 2 run homer from Michael A. Taylor.

The Padres pulled off 1 double play.

The final line: Washington 3 runs, 10 hits, 2 errors, San Diego 0 runs, 3 hits, 1 error

Next game: Sunday, May 28th vs the Padres in Washington. This is the last home game for the Nationals before heading on a west coast road trip, beginning in San Francisco on Memorial Day.

Nationals record: 30 wins, 18 losses

Comment

Sunday, May 28th Padres 5, Nationals 3

After being delayed by rain for well over an hour, the Washington Nationals don't provide Joe Ross the fantastic run support he'd received in his previous 4 starts, allowing the San Diego Padres to salvage the final game of the 3 game set by a score of 5 - 3.

Nationals starter Ross is tagged with his first loss, his record now 2 - 1, as he gave up 12 hits and all 5 of the Padres runs in just 4 innings of work. Ross would walk 1 and strike out 4. The Nationals sent 4 pitchers to the mound. For the Padres, starter Jhoulys Chacin pitched 4.1 innings, giving up all 8 of Washington's hits and 3 runs while walking 2 and striking out 6. The Padres used a total of 6 pitchers with the 5 relievers holding the Nationals hitless for the rest of the game. h Kirby Yates picked up the win, Brad Hand is credited with a hold and Brandon Maurer earns save number 6.

The Padres got doubles from Franchy Cordero and Chase d'Arnaud and a home run from Ryan Schimpf. The Nationals got doubles from Adam Lind and Brian Goodwin.

There was 1 double play in the game, executed by the Nationals.

Nationals note: Outfielder Brian Goodwin was recalled from Syracuse on May 24th as Chris Heisey was placed on the 10 day DL due to a ruptured right bicep.

The final line: San Diego 5 runs, 14 hits, 0 errors, Washington 3 runs, 8 hits, 1 error

Next game: Monday, May 29th vs the San Francisco Giants in San Francisco, game time 4:05PM EDT. The Nationals are now on a 9 game road trip, visiting the Giants, formerly of New York, the Oakland Athletics, originally of Philadelphia by way of Kansas City, and the Los Angles Dodgers, originally of Brooklyn.

Nationals record: 30 wins, 19 losses
                    Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-30-2017, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Monday, May 29th Washington Nationals 3, San Francisco Giants 0

The Washington Nationals open their 9 game road trip with a 3 - 0 defeat of the Giants in San Francisco. However what will likely be remembered was an ugly incident between the Nationals Bryce Harper and Giants reliever Hunter Strickland resulting in a bench clearing brawl more worthy of the WWE than major league baseball.

Washington starter Tanner Roark raised his record to 5 - 2 by hurling 7 innings of 6 hit baseball, walking 1 and striking out 6. The Nationals would use 4 pitchers with Shawn Kelley getting credit for his 1st hold and Koda Glover picking up save number 6, pitching a perfect 9th. This was just the 2nd shut out of the season for the Nationals pitching staff.

For the Giants, starter Matt Moore sees his season record drop to 2 - 6. Moore pitched 7 innings, giving up 6 hits and 2 runs, striking out 5 and not walking any. Hunter Strickland started the 8th inning, recording 2 quick outs and then drilling Harper in the hip with a pitch that was well outside. Harper pointed at Strickland, then charged the mound, wildly throwing his helmet (That toss has met with a lot of derision on social media) before the two exchanged blows. That resulted in a bench clearing brawl before Harper and Strickland were ejected. Three Giants players had to force Strickland off the field (Great theatrics!) and into the dugout. There is a lot of speculation that the incident stemmed from the 2014 playoffs when Harper homered (And supposedly "showed up") off Strickland. Way to hold a grudge! In the aftermath, the Giants gave up another run in the top of the 8th once play resumed. San Francisco would also use 4 pitchers.

There weren't many extra base hits in the game - the Nationals got a double from Daniel Murphy and a solo home run from Ryan Zimmerman while the Giants got a double from Christian Arroyo.

There were no double plays.

Nationals notes: Stephen Drew was returned to the active roster after a trip to the DL. Pitcher Matt Grace hopped on the "Syracuse Shuttle" to make room on the roster for Drew's return. Chris Heisey was also sent to the minors for a rehab assignment. It was good to see Mike Morse still active, although it was in a Giants uniform.

The final line: Washington 3 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors, San Francisco 0 runs, 8 hits, 1 error

Next game: Tuesday, May 30th vs the Giants in San Francisco, game time 10:15PM EDT

Nationals record: 31 wins, 19 losses
                      Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-30-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Tuesday, May 30th Nationals 6, Giants 3

The Washington Nationals and San Francisco Giants stick to baseball Tuesday evening with the Nationals prevailing by a score of 6 - 3.

Washington starter Gio Gonzalez earns his first win in over a month by pitching 6.1 innings, giving up 8 hits and 3 runs while walking 3 and striking out 6. The Nationals used 3 pitchers in the game with Coda Glover picking up save number 7. For the Giants, starter Jeff Samardzija sees his record drop to 1 - 7. Samardzija would pitch 4 innings giving up 9 hits and 3 runs, striking out 5 and not walking any. The Giants sent 5 pitchers to the mound.

The Nationals got doubles from Ryan Zimmerman and Daniel Murphy and a triple from Jayson Werth while the Giants countered with doubles from Orlando Calixte and Eduardo Nunez.

Bryce Harper, who was suspended for 4 games after yesterday's incident with Hunter Strickland (Strickland received a 6 game suspension), played after appealing the suspension. It was a rough game for Harper as he went 0 for 5 with three strikeouts and twice left the bases loaded. h

The Giants executed 1 double play.

The final line: Washington 6 runs, 14 hits, 0 errors, San Francisco 3 runs, 9 hits, 2 errors

Next game: Wednesday, May 31st vs the Giants in San Francisco, game time 10:15PM EDT

Nationals record: 32 wins, 19 losses
                        Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-31-2017, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Wednesday, May 31st Nationals 3, Giants 1

(Delayed entry due to site being inaccessible.)

The Washington Nationals make it a clean sweep in San Francisco with a 3 - 1 defeat of the Giants. Nationals starter Max Scherzer pitched the first complete game of the season for Washington raising his record to 6 - 3. Scherzer gave up 5 hits and 1 run while striking out 11 and not walking any. For the Giants, starter Matt Cain's record drops to 3 - 4. Cain would work 5 innings, giving up 9 hits and 3 runs while walking 1 and striking out 3. The Giants use 4 pitchers in the game.

Extra base hits for Washington come from Anthony Rendon and Michael A. Taylor, who both contributed doubles, and Ryan Zimmerman who stroked hit 15th home run of the season. For the Giants, Brandon Belt, Joe Panik and Buster Posey all doubled.

Both teams completed 1 double play.

The final line: Washington 3 runs, 10 hits, 0 errors, San Francisco 1 run, 5 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Friday, June 2nd vs the Athletics in Oakland, game time 10:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 33 wins, 19 losses
                          Last edited by Aa3rt; 06-03-2017, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Friday, June 2nd Washington Nationals 13, Oakland Athletics 3

The visiting Washington Nationals erupt for 13 runs and 20 hits and Stephen Strasburg raises his season record to 7 - 1 in a 13 -3 drubbing of the Athletics in Oakland.

Strasburg would pitch 7 innings, giving up 4 hits and 2 runs, striking out 7 and walking 3. Blake Treinen would work 2 innings in relief for Washington. Oakland starter Andrew Triggs sees his record drop to 5 - 5. Triggs would last just 3.2 innings, surrendering 6 hits and 6 runs while walking 1 and striking out 3. The Athletics used 5 pitchers in the game.

Among Washington's 20 base hits were doubles from Anthony Rendon, Matt Wieters and Michael A. Taylor, a triple from Brian Goodwin and home runs from Jayson Werth, Daniel Murphy (His 10th), Rendon (His 10th as well), Taylor and the first career round tripper from Goodwin. The Athletics countered with a double from Yonder Alonso, who also homered as did Matt Joyce.

Washington completed 3 double plays.

The final line: Washington 13 runs, 20 hits, 1 error, Oakland 3 runs, 7 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Saturday, June 3rd vs the Athletics in Oakland, game time 4:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 34 wins, 19 losses

Comment

Saturday, June 3rd Athletics 10, Nationals 4

The Washington Nationals modest 4 game winning streak comes to a screeching halt on a Saturday afternoon in Oakland as the Athletics score 4 in the bottom of the 1st inning and never look back, defeating the Nationals by a score of 10 - 4.

Washington starter Joe Ross gets hammered, pitching 3 innings, giving up 6 hits and 7 runs (6 earned) while walking 2 and striking out 5. Ross' ERA now stands at 7.34. h The Nationals sent 3 pitchers to the mound with Jacob Turner surrendering the other 3 runs.

Oakland used 5 pitchers in the game with starter Daniel Mengden giving up all 4 of Washington's runs. Liam Hendriks gets credit for the win, raising his record to 2 - 0 with 1.1 innings of work.

The Athletics got doubles from Jed Lowrie and Ryon Healy and home runs from Lowrie, Healy, who slammed 2 round trippers, and Yonder Alonso. The Nationals got doubles from Daniel Murphy and Adam Lind and a 3 run homer from Lind.

There were no double plays in the game.

The final line: Oakland 10 runs, 11 hits, 3 errors, Washington 4 runs, 8 hits, 2 errors

Next game: Sunday, June 4th vs the Athletics in Oakland, game time 4:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 34 wins, 20 losses
                              Last edited by Aa3rt; 06-03-2017, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Well folks, I have no idea what has been wrong with the site, and I'm not really sure that it's operational now, however I will TRY to update the games that were missed going back to last Sunday (June 4th)

Sunday, June 4th Nationals 11, Athletics 10 The Nationals manage to hang on after going up 11 - 4 in the top of the 9th.

Monday, June 5th Washington Nationals 4, Los Angeles Dodgers 2 The Nationals visit Chavez Ravine for a 3 game set.

Tuesday, June 6th Nationals 2, Dodgers 1

Wednesday, June 7th Dodgers 2, Nationals 1

Thursday, June 8th Washington Nationals 6, Baltimore Orioles 1 The Nationals return home for a makeup game with the Orioles that was rained out on May 11th

Friday, June 9th Texas Rangers 5, Washington Nationals 2 The former expansion Washington Senators come to town for a 3 game set and take the opener

Saturday, June 10th Rangers 6, Nationals 3 (11 innings) The bullpen implodes and hands the win to Texas.

Next game: Sunday, June 11th vs the Rangers in Washington, game time 4:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 38 wins, 23 losses

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X