Washington Nationals 2017 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday, June 11th Rangers 5, Nationals 1

The Texas Rangers make it a clean sweep by defeating the Washington Nationals 5 - 1 on a Sunday afternoon in Washington.

Texas starter Austin Bibens-Dirkx picks up the win, his record now 2 - 0, by pitching 7 innings of 3 hit, 1 run ball. Bibens-Dirkx would walk 1 and strikeout 2. The Rangers used 3 pitchers in the contest. For Washington, starter Max Scherzer gets hung with the loss, dropping his record to 7-4. Scherzer would give up 3 hits and 3 runs (2 earned) while walking 1 and striking out 10. The loss put a damper on what should have been a celebratory day for Scherzer as he recorded his 2000th major league strikeout. The Nationals used a total of 4 pitchers in the contest.

Washington's Brian Goodwin hit a solo round tripper in the 1st inning, unfortunately that would be the extent of extra base hits for the Nationals. The Rangers got a triple from Elvis Andrus and a solo homer from Shin-Soo Choo.

The Rangers would execute 1 double play.

Nationals notes: The Nationals placed Koda Glover on the 10 day DL due to lower back stiffness. Replacing Glover, P Joe Blanton was reactivated.

The final line: Texas 5 runs, 4 hits, 0 errors, Washington 1 run, 3 hits, 1 error

Next game Monday, June 12th vs the Atlanta Braves in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 38 wins, 24 losses
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 06-13-2017, 12:55 PM.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Monday, June 12th Atlanta Braves 11, Washington Nationals 10

The Washington Nationals losing streak is extended to 4 games, all at home, as the porous bullpen once again falls apart like an '84 Yugo in an 11 - 10 defeat by the Atlanta Braves. The Nationals managed 17 hits but surrendered 11.

Both teams send 5 pitchers to the mound with neither starter the pitcher of record. For Atlanta, starter Mike Foltynewicz lasted just 3.1 innings, giving up 11 hits and 8 runs while walking 2 and not striking out any. The win goes to Jason Motte, the 4th Braves pitcher to appear, who worked a perfect 8th inning, getting his first win of the season. Jim Johnson picks up save number 13. For Washington, starter Stephen Strasburg worked 5 full innings giving up 7 hits and 6 runs while walking 1 and striking out 10. Matt Albers is charged with the loss, giving up 3 runs in the top of the 9th.

Extra base hits were numerous. The Braves got a double from Rio Ruiz and home runs from Nick Markakis, Matt Kemp, Matt Adams who hit 2, the first with 2 runners aboard, and Tyler Flowers. The Nationals would counter with doubles from Adam Lind, Michael A. Taylor and Brian Goodwin and round trippers from Trea Turner, Bryce Harper (His 16th) and Goodwin who was a triple shy of hitting for the cycle.

The Braves executed 1 DP.

Nationals notes: Ryan Zimmerman was out for the 3rd straight game with back problems. He will hopefully be returning for tonight's game. The Nationals recalled RHP Trevor Gott from Triple-A Syracuse and optioned INF Wilmer Difo to Syracuse. Gott made one appearance for the Nationals in 2016. He's 2-0 with a 3.30 ERA with Syracuse this season.

The final line: Atlanta 11 runs, 11 hits, 0 errors, Washington 10 runs, 17 hits, 2 errors

Next game: Tuesday, June 13th vs the Braves in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 38 wins, 25 losses
      Last edited by Aa3rt; 06-14-2017, 04:08 AM.
      "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Tuesday, June 13th Nationals 10, Braves 5

The Nationals FINALLY break the losing streak with a 10 - 5 win over the Braves. Interestingly, Atlanta actually stroked more hits (13) in this game, yet scored just 5 runs, than they did in yesterday's game when they scored 11 runs on 11 hits. The Nationals had 14 hits in the contest.

Washington starter Joe Ross would give up all 5 of Atlanta's runs on 9 hits and 3 walks. Ross would strike out 2. Trevor Gott, just up from Syracuse, gets the win in just 0.1 innings of work. The Nationals would use 5 pitchers in the game with Enny Romero holding the Braves scoreless for 2 full innings. For Atlanta, starter R.A. Dickey sees his record drop to 4 - 5 by surrendering 8 hits and 8 runs. Dickey would strike out 6 but not walk any, however he did serve up 3 home runs, 2 to Ryan Zimmerman. Atlanta sent 4 pitchers to the mound.

Atlanta would get doubles from Brandon Phillips, Matt Kemp, Matt Adams and Dansby Swanson and a home run from Rio Ruiz. Washington would counter with doubles from Daniel Murphy, Matt Wieters and Michael A. Taylor, a triple from Ryan Rayburn and home runs from Daniel Murphy and Ryan Zimmerman, who performed the feat twice. Zimmerman now has 19 home runs on the season.

The Nationals worked 3 double plays.

Nationals notes: Zimmerman's second home run was his 234th with Washington, tying Vladimir Guerrero for the Nationals/Expos franchise record.

The final line: Washington 10 runs, 14 hits, 0 errors, Atlanta 5 runs, 13 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Wednesday, June 14th vs the Braves in Washington, game time 4:05PM EDT The Nationals then go on a 7 game road trip to face the Mets and Marlins and don't return home again until Friday, June 23rd when the Cincinnati Reds come to town.

Nationals record: 39 wins, 25 losses

Comment

Wednesday, June 15th Braves 13, Nationals 2

After scoring 20 runs in the previous 2 games, the Nationals bats are stilled while 3 Washington pitchers serve up batting practice for Braves hitters in an embarrassing 13 - 2 defeat. In the 3 game home stand against Atlanta Nationals pitchers gave up 29 runs and 40 hits.

Atlanta starter Julio Teheran gets his 6th win of the season, against 4 losses, by working 7 innings, giving up 6 hits and 2 runs while walking 1 and striking out 3. The Braves used 3 pitchers in the game. For Washington, starter Tanner Roark is charged with the loss, his record now coincidentally now 6 - 4. Roark pitched 5 innings, giving up 9 hits and 7 runs while walking 2 and striking out 5. The Nationals sent 5 pitchers to the mound with Trevor Gott giving up an additional 5 runs while Blake Treinen gave up 1.

Despite the lopsided score, there weren't many extra base hits in the game. Atlanta got a double from Brandon Phillips and a home run from Kurt Suzuki while Washington saw Brian Goodwin stroke his 4th home run since being called up.

The Braves completed 2 double plays.

The final line: Atlanta 13 runs, 16 hits, 1 error, Washington 2 runs, 7 hits, 1 error

Next game: Thursday, June 15th vs the New York Mets @ CitiField in New York, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 39 wins, 26 losses.

Comment

Thursday, June 15th Washington Nationals 8, New York Mets 3

The Washington Nationals FINALLY reach the 40 game win plateau with an 8 - 3 defeat of the Mets in New York.

Washington starter Gio Gonzalez raises his season record to 6 - 1 by working 7 innings of 5 hit, 2 run ball. Gonzalez would strike out 5 and not walk any. For the Mets, starter Robert Gsellman sees his record drop to 5 - 4. Gsellman would give up 11 hits and 7 runs while striking out 3 and walking 2. Both teams sent 3 pitchers to the mound.

Extra base hits for the Nationals came in the form of doubles from Brian Goodwin, who performed the feat twice, Anthony Rendon and Matt Wieters, a triple from Daniel Murphy and home runs from Bryce Harper and Michael A. Taylor. The Mets would counter with doubles from Yoenis Céspedes and Jay Bruce and home runs from Wilmer Flores and René Rivera.

There were no double plays in the game.

The final line: Washington 8 runs, 12 hits, 0 errors, New York 3 runs, 6 hits, 1 error

Next game: Friday, June 16th vs the Mets in New York, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 40 wins, 26 losses

Comment

Friday, June 16th Nationals 7, Mets 2

The Nationals make it 2 in a row in CitiField with a 7 - 2 defeat of the Mets. Washington starter Max Scherzer raises his record to 8 - 4 by pitching 8 innings of 4 hit, 1 run ball, walking 2 and striking out 10. The Nationals used 2 pitchers in the game. For the Mets, starter Steven Matz drops to 1 - 1. Matz would pitch 7 innings, giving up 8 hits and 4 runs, striking out 4 and not walking any. New York would send 4 pitchers to the mound.

Washington got doubles from Trea Turner, Bryce Harper and Daniel Murphy and home runs from Anthony Rendon, Matt Wieters and Michael A. Taylor. Both of New York's runs came from solo homers by Jay Bruce and José Reyes.

Washington executed 3 double plays.

Nationals notes: P Trevor Gott was optioned to Syracuse while P Matt Grace was recalled. The Orioles released veteran Edwin Jackson on Tuesday (13th), today (16th) he was signed to a minor league deal by the Nationals.

The final line: Washington 7 runs, 12 hits, 0 errors, New York 2 runs, 5 hits, 2 errors

Next game: Saturday, June 17th vs the Mets in New York, game 3 of the 4 game series, game time 4:10PM EDT

Nationals record: 41 wins, 26 losses

Comment

Saturday, June 17th Nationals 7, Mets 4

The Nationals take the first 3 games of the 4 game set in New York with a 7 - 4 defeat of the Mets. Despite being outhit 12 - 11, the Nationals would capitalize on 4 double plays to minimize the damage.

Washington starter Stephen Strasburg raises his record to 8 - 2 by working 5.1 innings, giving up 6 hits and 2 runs while walking 2 and striking out 5. The Nationals sent a total of 5 pitchers to the mound with Enny Romero picking up his second save of the season, pitching 1.2 innings. For the Mets, Seth Lugo's record drops to 1 - 1. Lugo would pitch 6.2 innings, giving up 7 hits and 4 runs, walking 2 and striking out 5. The Mets used 4 pitchers in the game.

The Nationals got doubles from Anthony Rendon and Daniel Murphy and home runs from Trea Turner, Adam Lind and Jose Lobaton. The Mets only extra base hit was a Yoenis Céspedes solo homer.

The Nationals executed 4 double plays.

The final line: Washington 7 runs, 11 hits, 1 error, New York 4 runs, 12 hits, 1 error

Next game: Sunday, June 18th vs the Mets in New York. The Nationals will be going after a 4 game sweep of the Mets at CitiField on Father's Day, game time 1:10PM EDT

Nationals record: 42 wins, 26 losses

Comment

Sunday, June 18th Mets 5, Nationals 1

The Washington Nationals can't complete the 4 game sweep of the Mets in New York, losing to the Mets 5 - 1 on a Father's Day afternoon game. The Nationals had been 6 - 0 at CitiField this season until today's loss.

Mets pitcher Jacob deGrom raises his season record to 6 - 3 by pitching 8 innings of 3 hit, 1 run ball, walking 2 and striking out 6. Addison Reed pitched the 9th for New York. For Washington, starter Joe Ross sees his record drop to 3 - 3. Ross worked 6 innings, giving up 9 hits and 4 runs (2 earned), walking 1 and striking out 4. The Nationals would send 3 pitchers to the mound.

The Mets deGrom helped his cause by stroking his first major league home run, a solo shot, in the 3rd inning. New York got doubles from Lucas Duda and T. J. Rivera as well. Washington's only extra base knock was a Daniel Murphy double in the top of the 9th.

Trea Turner set a Nationals franchise record by stealing 4 bases in the contest. The were no double plays.

Nationals note: RHP Shawn Kelley was put on the 10-day disabled list because of a strained muscle in his upper right back. The reliever is 3-2 with four saves and a 7.00 ERA in 22 games, giving up nine homers in 18 innings. He was on the DL in May with a lower back strain. RHP A.J. Cole was recalled from Triple-A Syracuse.

The final line: New York 5 runs, 11 hits, 1 error, Washington 1 run, 4 hits, 1 error

Next game: Monday, June 19th vs the Marlins in Miami, game time 7:10PM EDT

Nationals record: 42 wins, 27 losses
                  Last edited by Aa3rt; 06-20-2017, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Monday, June 19th Miami Marlins 8, Washington Nationals 7

Both teams score 6 runs in the first 3 innings, then play "tit for tat" but its the Miami Marlins who come out the eventual winners by scoring 1 runs in the bottom of the 9th for the win. Neither starter figures in the decision as the Nationals sent 5 pitchers to the mound, the Marlins 6.

For Miami, starter Justin Nicolino last just 3 innings, giving up 7 hits and 6 runs (Only 3 earned) while walking 1 and striking out 1. The 6th pitcher for Miami, AJ Ramos, raises his record to 2 - 3 by holding the Nationals scoreless in the 9th. For Washington, Tanner Roark got the start but succumbed in the 3rd inning. Roark would give up 6 hits and 6 runs, walking 2 and not striking out any in just 2.2 innings of work. Enny Romero, the 5th Nationals pitcher to appear, is charged with the loss, dropping his record to 2 - 3.

Extra base hits for Miami came in the form of a triple from JT Riddle and home runs from Giancarlo Stanton and Justin Bour. The Nationals would counter with doubles from Daniel Murphy, Stephen Drew, Michael A. Taylor and Joe Ross, in the role of pinch hitter and home runs from Bryce Harper and Anthony Rendon.

The Nationals completed 3 double plays, the Marlins 1.

The final line: Miami 8 runs, 13 hits, 1 error, Washington 7 runs, 13 hits, 1 error

Next game: Tuesday, June 20th vs the Marlins in Miami, game time 7:10PM EDT

Nationals record: 42 wins, 28 losses

Comment

Tuesday, June 20th Nationals 12, Marlins 3

The Washington Nationals are once again 15 games above .500 and Washington starter Gio Gonzalez raises his record to 7 - 1 and with a 7 inning, 6 hit, 3 run performance. Gonzalez would issue 2 walks while striking out 8. The Nationals used 3 pitchers in the game. For Miami, starter Edinson Volquez is tagged with the loss, dropping his record to 3 - 8. Volquez would work 4.2 innings, giving up 5 hits and 6 runs while walking 5 and striking out 4. The Marlins sent 4 pitchers to the mound.

Despite the 12 runs for Washington, there weren't a lot of extra base hits. Ryan Zimmerman, Stephen Drew and Michael A. Taylor all doubled while Daniel Murphy homered. Miami got a double from J.T. Realmuto and a round tripper from Marcell Ozuna.

Miami executed 1 DP.

The final line; Washington 12 runs, 11 hits, 0 errors, Miami 3 runs, 6 hits, 1 error

Next game: Wednesday, June 21st vs the Marlins in Miami, game time 12:10PM EDT

Nationals record: 43 wins, 28 losses

Comment

Wednesday, June 21st Marlins 2, Nationals 1

In what has to be the most frustrating performance thus far in the 2017 season, Max Scherzer flirts with a no hitter for 7.1 innings only to see it all unravel thanks to an infield hit, a error, a hit batsman, a wild pitch that allowed the tying run to score and a single that scored the winning run. Meanwhile a quartet of Marlins pitchers silenced the Nationals bats on a day after they scored 12 runs, giving up a solo home run for the only Washington tally.

For Miami, starter Dan Straily pitched 6 innings, giving up 3 hits and 1 run while walking 1 and striking out 6. It was the third of 4 Marlins pitchers, Kyle Barraclough who picked up the win, raising his record to 3 - 1, by holding the Nationals scoreless in the 8th. AJ Ramos picked up his 10th save of the season. For the Nationals it was all Scherzer who pitched all 8 innings for Washington, giving up 2 hits and 2 runs, neither earned while walking 1 and striking out 11.

The only extra base hit of the game was a solo home run by Washington's Ryan Raburn while the game winning hit was a single off the bat of Giancarlo Stanton.

The Marlins completed 1 double play.

The final line: Miami 2 runs, 2 hits, 0 errors, Washington 1 run, 5 hits, 1 error

Next game: Frinday, June 23rd vs the Cincinnati Reds in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT (Note that the remnants of Tropical Storm Cindy have reached the Washington area. From my vantage point, approximately 35 miles southeast of Washington, DC, the skies have already opened up so the ability to play Friday's scheduled game is tentative at best.)

Nationals record: 43 wins, 29 losses

Comment

Friday, June 23rd Washington Nationals 6, Cincinnati Reds 5 (10 innings)

Washington starter Stephen Strasburg uncharacteristically gets knocked around for 5 runs, 4 in the top of the first, however the bullpen manages to hold the Cincinnati Reds to 1 hits and no runs in 5 innings and the Nationals salvage a 6 - 5 win in 10 innings.

As already noted, Strasburg gave up 8 hits and 5 runs while walking 2 and striking out 5 in 5 innings of work. A total of 4 Washington relievers held the Reds for the remainder of the game to just 1 hit and Matt Albers gets the win, raising his record to 3 - 1, pitching the top of the 10th.

For Cincinnati, starter Luis Castillo pitched 5 innings, giving up 5 hits and 2 runs while walking 5 and striking out 5 as well. He was relieved by Michael Lorenzen who is credited with his 7th hold of the season. A grand total of 8 Reds pitchers would take the mound with Raisel Inglecias being tagged with the loss, his record now 2 - 2.

The only extra base hits for the Nationals were home runs, 4 in total, all solo shots from the bats of Anthony Rendon, Daniel Murphy and Brian Goodwin who stroked 2 in his first multi-homer game in the majors. The Reds would counter with doubles from Scooter Gennett, Adam Duvall and Scott Schebler and a solo homer from Gennett. However it was a 2 out single with runners on 1st and 3rd in the bottom of the 10th by Bryce Harper that drove in the winning run.

The Reds executed 3 double plays, the Nationals 1.

Nationals notes: With his 2 homer night Friday, Brian Goodwin has 6 round trippers in the month of June - more than Bryce Harper, Daniel Murphy or Ryan Zimmerman. Wilmer Difo was recalled from Triple-A Syracuse and started in CF for the injured Michael A. Taylor. RHP A.J. Cole was optioned to Syracuse. Taylor was held out of the starting lineup for a second straight game with an undisclosed injury although he did pinch hit in the 10th.

The final line: Washington 6 runs, 13 hits, 0 errors, Cincinnati 5 runs, 9 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Saturday, June 24th vs the Reds in Washington, game time 4:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 44 wins, 29 losses

Comment

Saturday, June 24th Nationals 18, Reds 3

With Joe Ross on the mound for Washington, he can usually expect more than sufficient run support, particularly when the Nationals are at home. Saturday's game was no exception as Washington scored 18 runs although, surprisingly, there were only 2 home runs hit by the home team.

For Washington, Ross would work 7 innings, giving up 6 hits and 1 run while walking 1 and striking out 5. A total of 3 Nationals pitchers took the mound. Cincinnati's Homer Bailey made his first start of the season after returning from the DL. Undoubtedly he'd like to forget this effort as he lasted just 1.2 innings, giving up 6 hits and 8 runs while walking 3 and striking out 2. The Reds would use 4 pitchers in the game with all of them surrendering at least 1 run.

Washington batters managed a total of 19 hits, including doubles from Brian Goodwin, Ryan Zimmerman, Daniel Murphy, Anthony Rendon and Michael A. Taylor. Taylor contributed both of the Nationals home runs. Also worth noting, Trea Turner went 5 for 5 with 1 walk, scoring 4 times and being credited with 2 RBIs. Cincinnati got doubles from Scooter Gennett and Tucker Barnhart and a home run from Patrick Kivlehan.

The Nationals managed 1 DP.

The final line: Washington 18 runs, 19 hits, 0 errors, Cincinnati 3 runs, 10 hits, 3 errors

Next game: Sunday, June 25th vs the Reds in Washington, game time 1:35PM EDT

Nationals record: 45 wins, 29 losses

Comment

Sunday, June 25th Reds 6, Nationals 2

Whenever the Nationals score an overabundance of runs, as they did in yesterday's 18 - 3 victory it always seems that the next day they can't buy a run. Today's 6 - 2 loss to the Cincinnati Reds was no exception as Washington can only muster 2 runs out of 8 hits. The Nationals loss drops their record in day games to 14 - 19.

For the Reds, starter Scott Feldman raises his record to 6 - 5 by pitching 7 innings of 7 hit, 2 run baseball while walking 2 and striking out 5. Cincinnati would send 3 pitchers to the mound. Washington starter Tanner Roark sees his record also now at 6 - 5 by surrendering 5 runs in the first inning, giving Cincinnati a lead that they never relinquished. Roark would work 6 innings, giving up 9 hits and 6 runs, walking 2 and striking out 7. His ERA now stands at 5.15. Washington would use 4 pitchers in the game.

The Reds got doubles from Billy Hamilton, Adam Duvall and Tucker Barnhart and a home run from Scooter Gennett, his 11th of the season. The Nationals saw Bryce Harper double and Michael A. Taylor homer, also his 11th of the season, with a man aboard accounting for the Nationals only runs.

The Nationals completed 2 double plays.

The final line: Cincinnati 6 runs, 12 hits, 0 errors, Washington 2 runs, 8 hits, 1 error

Next game: Monday, June 26th The World Champion Chicago Cubs come to Washington for a 4 game series, game 1 time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 45 wins, 30 losses
                              Last edited by Aa3rt; 06-25-2017, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Catching up - Monday, June 26th through Thursday, June 29th

Note: Due to a change in my work schedule, the updates following each game may be intermittent at best. If anyone would like to assist in daily game summaries, please be my guest!

Monday, June 26th Chicago Cubs 5, Washington Nationals 2 The final line: Chicago 5 runs, 9 hits, 1 error Washington 4 runs, 12 hits, 2 errors

Tuesday, June 27th Nationals 6, Cubs 1 The final line: Washington 6 runs, 9 hits, 0 errors, Chicago 1 run, 2 hits, 2 errors

Wednesday, June 28th Nationals 8, Cubs 4 The final line: Washington 8 runs, 11 hits, 1 error Chicago 4 runs, 6 hits, 1 error

Thursday, June 29th Cubs 5, Nationals 4 The final line: Chicago 5 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors Washington 4 runs, 6 hits, 0 errors

Both losses (On Monday and Thursday) can be attributed to the bullpen's inability to hold a lead.

Nationals note: Trea Turner has a broken right wrist after being hit by a Pedro Strop fastball. With the shaky bullpen, the Nationals need all of the offense that they can muster. After the loss of Adam Eaton earlier in the season this really hurts. Turner is hitting .279 with 7 homers and 32 RBIs and is tied for the league lead in stolen bases at 35. (Cincinnati's Billy Hamilton also has 35 SBs.)

Next game: Friday, June 30th vs the St. Louis Cardinals in St. Louis, game time 8:15PM EDT

Nationals record: 47 wins, 32 losses

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X