Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seattle

Originally posted by six4three View Post
    Seattle has long been on the minds of Major League Baseball - even as far back as the 1950s it was on the radar. Shortly after the Dodgers and Giants moved west, there was talk about adding a Seattle team.

Milwaukee was a natural choice for relocation, after the White Sox played games there in 1968 and 1969 and outdrew their Chicago home games by some obscene margin.

KC I don't know. Hard to say, since they've been so bad for so long. And I hestitate to hold them responisble for anything Finley did.
    If Seattle would have built that proposed stadium on Puget Sound in the mid 60's that was talked about in the Ballparks section, maybe they would have gotten the A's instead of Oakland, or they would have been able to keep their expansion team when they got it.

Comment

Well, not really. I don't think that there were many baseball fans in Milwaukee who stayed away from County Stadium because the Brewers played in the junior circuit.

The move to the National League was widely acknowledged at the time as a financial boon to whatever team made the switch. Which is why it was surprising that the Royals turned down the opportunity.

But yes, the Brewers did enjoy playing up the NL connection in 1998.
      Selig still owned the team at the time (albeit in a trust that his daughter ran) and they had tried numerous realignment proposals and nothing was passing. There were many radical proposals including blowing up the two leagues and litterally starting over. Something had to happen since both the Rays and Dbacks were coming in and it would have meant an odd number of teams in each league. Moving the Brewers over was the simple compromise.

Comment

The Royals had first choice - I'll never know why they didn't move to the NL and exploit the rivalry with St. Louis.

Comment

The Royals had first choice - I'll never know why they didn't move to the NL and exploit the rivalry with St. Louis.
          They still had delusions of 1985 in their head.

Comment

Originally posted by aqib View Post
            Selig still owned the team at the time (albeit in a trust that his daughter ran) and they had tried numerous realignment proposals and nothing was passing. There were many radical proposals including blowing up the two leagues and litterally starting over. Something had to happen since both the Rays and Dbacks were coming in and it would have meant an odd number of teams in each league. Moving the Brewers over was the simple compromise.
            You can have an odd number of teams in each league...three 5 team divisions. Dbacks join the NL west. Detroit goes from ALE to ALC. KC goes from ALC to ALW. Devil Rays join the ALE.

You play everyone in your division 18 times. You play every other team in your league 9 times. Viola - 162 game schedule. no Interleague and Milwaukee doesn't change leagues.

Although this assumes that Bud "had no idea" about the roid problem and wasn't looking forward to 18 sellouts when the Cubs and Cards came to town.

Or better, yet, there was no reason to bring in Tampa or Arizona...but that would be too curmudgeonly

Comment

Originally posted by MSUlaxer27 View Post
              You can have an odd number of teams in each league...three 5 team divisions. Dbacks join the NL west. Detroit goes from ALE to ALC. KC goes from ALC to ALW. Devil Rays join the ALE.

You play everyone in your division 18 times. You play every other team in your league 9 times. Viola - 162 game schedule. no Interleague and Milwaukee doesn't change leagues.

Although this assumes that Bud "had no idea" about the roid problem and wasn't looking forward to 18 sellouts when the Cubs and Cards came to town.

Or better, yet, there was no reason to bring in Tampa or Arizona...but that would be too curmudgeonly
              Yeah but then someone would be inactive at all times. You would have 14 teams locked in series and one team off for 3-4 days.

Comment

I'd tend to agree.

Boston is a great baseball town as well, but they couldn't support two teams. Multiple teams isn't a requirement.

Boston was one 10 game Sox winning streak in July 1967 of becoming a Zero team city. They were a couple of weeks away fom Yawkey selling them to a San Diego group but teh streak happened, Fenway started to get filled and Red Sox nation was born.

Comment

"Why did the Braves move twice?" Twice, so far! I'm sure the next isn't far away.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                    So because Milwaukee fans aren't as supportive during losing times, they automatically don't deserve a team? Guess that means yankee fans don't deserve a team either.

Yankee's losing seasons?
                    1925-5th out of 8th in attendance
                    1965-2nd out of 10th
                    1966-5th out of 10th
                    1967-5th out of 10th
                    1989-8th out of 14th
                    1990-9th out of 14th
                    1991-11th out of 14th
                    1992-11th out of 14th
                    The Yankees finished 6th in 65 and 10th in 66. I always wondered how the younger generation of Yankees fans would respond to lean years like the late 60s when I first became a fan. It wasn't easy especially when first the Red Sox in 67, then the Mets of all teams in 69. But we persevered and it paid off in the late 70s. Same with the teams in the late 80s and early 90s.
                    Some cities are fickle when it comes to sports teams. San Diego is like that. The true fan will support a team regardless of record . That's why I have great respect for Cubs fans .
                    27 World Championships
                    22 retired numbers
                    Isn't it great to be a Yankee fan?
                    Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best sport-Babe Ruth

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X