No announcement yet.

SPAHN and SAIN...and two days of rain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPAHN and SAIN...and two days of rain!

Here is a nice photo of a very young WARREN SPAHN and JOHNNY SAIN in their Boston Braves uniforms sometime in the 1940's........

From an eBay listing.

c.

Nice photo.
    "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

It is. I met them both about 10 years ago at a ValuCity in Jonesboro. They were signing things. Dad took my brother and me there. You were supposed to buy something in order to stand in line, but the advertisement didn't say that, so we got to stay there. I had just gotten a 1997 book about baseball, so I asked Warren and Johnny to sign that when I got up there. Before I did, Warren looked at a stack of bats one guy put in front of him and he said "What the hell is this? I can't sign a bat!" But I think he tried anyway. He signed the inside cover of my book and so did Johnny. Mr. Sain also showed us his World Series ring, which was pretty cool.

I still have the book, and it also has the signatures of:

Mark Wohlers
      Chuck James
      Joey Devine
      Fredi Gonzalez
      Dayton Moore

So basically any autograph op I can get to, I bring that book. Fredi saw Wohlers', Spahn's and Sain's signautres and he said "Spahn, Sain AND Wohlers?! I can't sign this part with these great pitchers! I'll sign the other cover!" So he did.
      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

... and Pray for Rain.

Vern Bickford wasn't that bad either. Too bad they gave up on Johnny Antonelli and Dick Donovan too early.
        In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

Comment

A quick Spahn story

When I was a kid I won a contest--two tickets to a Mets game (my brother & I went) plus dinner for two with Mets players at the Top of The Fair Restaurant. This was during the 1964 NY World's Fair. My parents went to the dinner, and the Met players at their table were Ed Kranepool and Warren Spahn. Mom always said that Kranepool, while cordial, was aloof, but Spahn and my Dad--both of whom saw serious action in WWII Europe--got on like long-lost (band of) brothers. In fact, the old man spent the dinner trading war stories with Spahn and paying no mind to Mom. Must've been love...

Comment

As much as I respect Spahn and Sain, Big Bill Voiselle wasn't exactly chopped liver either. And Vern Bickford, previously mentioned, was a fine young pitcher at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by THE OX
              As much as I respect Spahn and Sain, Big Bill Voiselle wasn't exactly chopped liver either. And Vern Bickford, previously mentioned, was a fine young pitcher at that time.
              Yes, they were, but they didn't last as long as Spahn or Sain did, at least in quality. It wasn't even close.
              46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan
                Yes, they were, but they didn't last as long as Spahn or Sain did, at least in quality. It wasn't even close.
                But that's not the subject here. Sain (as a Brave, and as a starter) only lasted another 3 seasons, so only Spahnie was really to be a Braves starter for much longer. Voiselle's career was pretty well played-out by 1948, but Bickford would start for the Braves into the early 1950's.

My point is that the 1948 Braves weren't that bad. Voiselle won 13 games, and even Nelson Potter did a darn good job for them. "Spahn and Sain and two days of rain" does a disservice to several other capable and productive starters!

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB
                  Here is a nice photo of a very young WARREN SPAHN and JOHNNY SAIN in their Boston Braves uniforms sometime in the 1940's........

From an eBay listing.

c.
                  This pic has Mitchell & Ness written all over it.

Comment

Warren Spahn

Hartland figurine of Spahnnie
                    Attached Files
                    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
                    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X