Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Want A New Dodger Cap - Which One?

Hello Friends of Brooklyn's Dodgers,

I want to purchase a new Brooklyn Dodgers cap since the one I currently wear I use when playing softball. I wear my Dodger cap instead of our own team cap in honor of my late father who was a die hard Dodgers of Brooklyn fan. I only know and love this team because of his stories. So, I wear the cap to honor both his and the team's memory.

Anyway I want a cap from the '55 era. My current cap is made by New Era and was purchased by me about 15-20 years ago. I see that there are a few different "styles" of Dodger "B"'s on caps claiming to be of '55-57 vintage. I am NOT talking about all the other variations from styles prior to 1955, only 1955-1957. I realize that the Cooperstown Collection has a cap from '39-'57 that reembles the "B" on my cap. I also noticed that in doing a google for Dodger caps, there seems to be a few variations in the style of the "B"; some have a more swiping "curve" as opposed to the "curl" at the top and bottom of the "B" logo if you look closely. Even the "B" itself appears to be more curvey(?) than in some variations. Well, I realize (through photos of players) that the "B" did vary throughout their history. I would like a cap that defines the championship team of 1955. All the caps run about $21-$25.

Is there any old timers out there that can point me in the right direction? If you love this team then I am not telling you something you don't already know about some of these replica caps these days. I just want to buy the right one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

One day I'll post about my father and family's tie to their beloved Dodgers. Again, I know this team via oral history, notwithstanding archival video footage. But it was the stories I heard when I was a kid that have affected me and caused me to have an emotional affection for this once revered team. Please help a would-be- wanna-be fan.

Thank you,

Lou, NY

Originally posted by skaukatt
    Hello Friends of Brooklyn's Dodgers,

I want to purchase a new Brooklyn Dodgers cap since the one I currently wear I use when playing softball. I wear my Dodger cap instead of our own team cap in honor of my late father who was a die hard Dodgers of Brooklyn fan. I only know and love this team because of his stories. So, I wear the cap to honor both his and the team's memory.

Anyway I want a cap from the '55 era. My current cap is made by New Era and was purchased by me about 15-20 years ago. I see that there are a few different "styles" of Dodger "B"'s on caps claiming to be of '55-57 vintage. I am NOT talking about all the other variations from styles prior to 1955, only 1955-1957. I realize that the Cooperstown Collection has a cap from '39-'57 that reembles the "B" on my cap. I also noticed that in doing a google for Dodger caps, there seems to be a few variations in the style of the "B"; some have a more swiping "curve" as opposed to the "curl" at the top and bottom of the "B" logo if you look closely. Even the "B" itself appears to be more curvey(?) than in some variations. Well, I realize (through photos of players) that the "B" did vary throughout their history. I would like a cap that defines the championship team of 1955. All the caps run about $21-$25.

Is there any old timers out there that can point me in the right direction? If you love this team then I am not telling you something you don't already know about some of these replica caps these days. I just want to buy the right one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

One day I'll post about my father and family's tie to their beloved Dodgers. Again, I know this team via oral history, notwithstanding archival video footage. But it was the stories I heard when I was a kid that have affected me and caused me to have an emotional affection for this once revered team. Please help a would-be- wanna-be fan.

Thank you,

Lou, NY
    Good luck in finding the real thing.

Looking at pictures of players wearing Brooklyn caps, the "B" had narrower loops in the last couple years or so as depicted by the Cooperstown collection caps. I have that cap. Also, Cooperstown caps have the crown at a backwards angle, moreso than with caps in use today (I don't know if the crowns were that way in those days, it doesn't look like it in pictures). In earlier times the loops on the B looked like circles. I don't think the sweeping curve on the B was ever the official cap.

What I have noticed, however, is that there was some sloppiness in the uniforms. It seems sometimes that some players have Bs with the oval loops, while others have circular loops. If you have the 1955 World Series footage, look at Jackie Robinson's #42 home uniform. The 2 looks different than the other players uniforms that wore numbers with a 2. Also, look at Roy Campanella's #39 and Gil Hodges' #14 on their road uniforms. Those numbers look a little different than the Dodger numbering font.

I have a feeling that some caps and uniforms were supplied for the players from time to time that deviated from the norm. This goes for other teams as well. Look at the difference in numbering fonts on Yankees' road uniforms in old World Series videos. The 2 in Norm Cash's #25 looks quite different than Mickey Lolich's #29 and Willie Horton's #23 (road uniforms only) in the 1968 World Series.

It's possible that a manufacturer saw one of these inaccurate uniforms and honestly thought they were providing an authentic replica.
    Last edited by CaliforniaCajun; 08-08-2006, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your time in replying. I couldn't agree more that there were many variations in uniform style. I realize that finding an original is out of the question. I guess I just want some advice as to which of todays replica's (Cooperstown Collection, New Era, etc...) most closley represents the real thing.

If anyone has that answer I'd appreciate hearing it.

Thanks,

Lou

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X