Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't you get sick and tired of the so called Brooklyn memorabilia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't you get sick and tired of the so called Brooklyn memorabilia?

I was looking on the net for a Brooklyn Dodgers T-shirt like I used to have.

I came along a lot of $hit that has been made to make some money out of your celebration. http://www.starstruck.com/Team--Coop...1384_1418.html

Probably they think: "As long as it has the name Brooklyn on it, it will sell. Eventhough the Dodgers never wore the name Brooklyn on their road jerseys".

What do you think about this?

The Dodgers for a few years did wear "Brooklyn" on their road jerseys; I believe they did so in the early 40s. But I seem to recall at least one game on TV in 1949 or 1950 when they wore such a uniform. Then again, this vision may be a manifestation of insanity.

I own about 30 different shirts with "Brooklyn Dodgers" on them and use them to remind my students that such a team once existed. I also love wearing them.

Comment

I own many BROOKLYN DODGER t-shirts and sweatshirts, which always look good with jeans. I also have a few jackets and hats. They are such a great conversation piece. I cannot tell you how many people walk up to me and tell me stories about themselves, and their families, being BROOKLYN fans. The best one for me is my license plate which, one of these days, is going to cause an accident because people insist on starting conversations on the road.

I will admit, though, that the market is saturated with BROOKLYN items. Part of it is because this year was the 50th anniversary, but, mostly, because THEY SELL...and have ALWAYS SOLD....and THAT just thrills me. WE BROOKLYN FANS play an important part in keeping the memory of OUR DODGERS ALIVE, and given the fact that WE haven't had an active team for more than 48 years, I say that's pretty darn good!

It sure makes MLB look like the "prime fools of creation" for allowing baseball to leave BROOKLYN in the first place!

c.

Comment

Originally posted by donzblock
        The Dodgers for a few years did wear "Brooklyn" on their road jerseys; I believe they did so in the early 40s. But I seem to recall at least one game on TV in 1949 or 1950 when they wore such a uniform. Then again, this vision may be a manifestation of insanity.

I own about 30 different shirts with "Brooklyn Dodgers" on them and use them to remind my students that such a team once existed. I also love wearing them.
        It is my wrong then. Sorry. I really thought that they have never worn the name Brooklyn on their road jerseys.

Comment

Originally posted by yankees rule
          It is my wrong then. Sorry. I really thought that they have never worn the name Brooklyn on their road jerseys.
          I believe BROOKLYN was worn on the road uniforms through the 1946 season. After that, it was simply DODGERS!

I know WE had a discussion on this subject some time last year, which included the use of BROOKLYN on a uniform in 1949/1950, as the Professor states.

c.

Comment

If you look at old photos of the players, you'll see plenty of them with Brooklyn scrawled across their chests.
            The early 1900's, the 1925 road uniform. the 1929 road uniform, the 1935 home, '37 road and home uniform, 1941 road, 1945 road and the 40's satin road uniform.

Comment

This is the 1945 road jersey.
              Attached Files
              "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
              Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

I kind of see your point. As much as I love the old Brooklyn Dodgers and their majestic place in baseball history, I, too, am sick and tired of the overwhelming focus on this team, not just in memorabilia, but also in books and media.
                I am also sick and tired of all the books and talking-heads who are obsessed with the Red Sox.
                But what REALLY bugs me is when non-baseball fans pretend they love these clubs, when we all know it's phony.
                But I understand why this has happened. The mass media is still based in New York (lots of old Brooklyn fans here), and many people go to college in Boston. This East Coast bias is in full gear here.
                You will notice that the St. Louis Cardinals (a franchise that is just as rich in tradition as the Yanks, Dodgers and Red Sox) gets very little notoriety or exposure.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooch
                  I kind of see your point. As much as I love the old Brooklyn Dodgers and their majestic place in baseball history, I, too, am sick and tired of the overwhelming focus on this team, not just in memorabilia, but also in books and media.
                  I am also sick and tired of all the books and talking-heads who are obsessed with the Red Sox.
                  But what REALLY bugs me is when non-baseball fans pretend they love these clubs, when we all know it's phony.
                  But I understand why this has happened. The mass media is still based in New York (lots of old Brooklyn fans here), and many people go to college in Boston. This East Coast bias is in full gear here.
                  You will notice that the St. Louis Cardinals (a franchise that is just as rich in tradition as the Yanks, Dodgers and Red Sox) gets very little notoriety or exposure.
                  That's funny you mention about the Cards, I often wonder the same thing myself. What about the Red's (oldest pro team in baseball) they also have a long and storied history that is largely forgotten outside of Ohio.
                  unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                  unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                  unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
                    This is the 1945 road jersey.
                    I love this jersey, and wear it often, as well as the 1955 Robinson jersey. People call me nuts wearing these wool jerseys in the summer, but the players back then did!

Comment

Originally posted by Gooch
                      I think the attention in the media won't hurt. The team accomplishe a remarkable feat, the only World Championship in it's existance. But what bothers me are companies like Nike that want to get your last penny by selling this kind of bull (the so called memorabilia) because most of the US remembers their 1955 World Championship.

Comment

I don't mind Brooklyn Dodger memorabilia, when it's true Brooklyn memorabilia. Some of the stuff you see on E_Bay are ridiculous. Frank Howard autographed jerseys. Frank Howard never was a Brooklyn Dodger. Red, green, purple, pink Brooklyn Dodger hats,the Dodgers never wore those. Or the people who are selling items and don't have a clue about the Brooklyn Dodgers. Duke Snyder autographed pictures, I never knew anyone by that name. It's good to see the Brooklyn Dodger name and true memorabilia but some of the stuff being sold is just plain garbage.
                        Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
                        www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...33222%3A164066

Comment

The Koufax picture was taken when he was on the Los Angeles Dodgers, it was after his fourth no hitter. Thats what I am talkin about, that had nothing to do with Brooklyn Dodger history.
                            Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
                            www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

The funniest things I have seen are caps from teams like the Boston Braves and Red Sox being hawked as Brooklyn Dodgers. That is almost as amusing as Yankee fans asking me if I am a Red Sox fan while wearing a Brooklyn Dodger hat. "Ummmhhh, Not a big baseball fan are you?" is usually my response.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X