Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't you get sick and tired of the so called Brooklyn memorabilia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tonypug
    replied
    There was a store called Manny's Baseball World, near Yankee Stadium. They sold shirts and jackets with the team names on them as well as a lot of what we now call memorabilia. A real fun place.

Leave a comment:

• DODGER DEB
    replied
    Originally posted by Elvis9045
    Ok, I have a question: These days, a huge chunk of cash is made from selling huge quantities of authentic team merchandise. Was it like this in the 40s and 50s? Did Ebbets Field (and other ballparks) have a team store? Or were there just souvenier stands that sold a few hats, pennants and maybe a jacket or two? Every time I see an old newsreel of a ballgame no one in the stands is wearing any team gear except the occasional cap.

There really wasn't much sold at any ballpark in those days. The Professor is right, there was no such thing as a "team store" in the 1950's.

Most of the vendors were outside (on the street) of OUR Ebbets Field and they sold picture buttons, large and small, of not only OUR players, but they usually had some of the team WE were playing that day. I still have several of them. They also sold pennants, large and small. If there were any vendors inside Ebbets, (and I don't recall them), they were few and far between.

I don't ever remember seeing hats or jackets sold at Ebbets, and as the Professor said, there was no such thing as a "team sweatshirt" back then. As I remember, there were some sporting goods stores that carried a few of these items.

When WE (the DODGER DEBS) wanted to have OUR sweaters and hats made, I remember WE went through the DODGER front office and they put US in touch with the group that made many of the team items.

If only someone had thought about it then, (as WE now know) there certainly was a "gold mine" to be made in BROOKLYN. If only....

c.

Leave a comment:

• donzblock
    replied
    Originally posted by Elvis9045
    Ok, I have a question: These days, a huge chunk of cash is made from selling huge quantities of authentic team merchandise. Was it like this in the 40s and 50s? Did Ebbets Field (and other ballparks) have a team store? Or were there just souvenier stands that sold a few hats, pennants and maybe a jacket or two? Every time I see an old newsreel of a ballgame no one in the stands is wearing any team gear except the occasional cap.
    That's a good question. We took for granted the team merchandise that sold in the 40s and 50s. At least I did. I think most of us assumed that it would always be available at reasonable prices.

I don't think it was big business back then. There was no such thing as a team store that I can remember. There was no such thing as a Brooklyn Dodger sweatshirt that you could buy; such items of apparel were probably available only to the players and clubhouse employees.

Most of the items we purchased were small things like buttons and caps, and they sold at souvenir stands at the park.

Leave a comment:

• Elvis
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Elvis
    replied
    The throwback east coast group jersey was never meant to be a "replica road jersey" - obviously, it was white, not grey with blue piping. It was designed as an original home design inspired by the old road jerseys. Just like the White Sox current jerseys are inspired by the old Go-Go-Sox era jerseys, they're not replicas.

Leave a comment:

• DODGER DEB
    replied
    [QUOTE=55 chmps]
    Originally posted by yankees rule

Probably they think: "As long as it has the name Brooklyn on it, it will sell. Eventhough the Dodgers never wore the name Brooklyn on their road jerseys".

QUOTE]

I believe that the Dodgers had Brooklyn even on their home jerseys in 1941. I think last year, the LA Dodgers wore throwback uniforms from '41 that said Brooklyn on the front.
    The sad thing is that that west coast group thought the uniforms were from 1947. This, after they were told, again and again, that WE did not have "BROOKLYN" on OUR 1947 uniforms.

c.

Leave a comment:

• 55 chmps
    replied
    Probably they think: "As long as it has the name Brooklyn on it, it will sell. Eventhough the Dodgers never wore the name Brooklyn on their road jerseys".
    I believe that the Dodgers had Brooklyn even on their home jerseys in 1941. I think last year, the LA Dodgers wore throwback uniforms from '41 that said Brooklyn on the front.

Leave a comment:

• Imapotato
    replied
    The history of Brooklyn's uniform

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...ar&increment=9

As you can see,

1900-1909 had Brooklyn across the front of the road uni
    1916 was the worst uniform in baseball history
    1925 they had Brooklyn on the road uni but not scripted, in block
    1930 was collegiate lettering
    1934-1937 it was Brooklyn
    and 1945 was the last year they used Brooklyn, and in the lettering you see in today's memorabilla
    Last edited by Imapotato; 01-30-2006, 03:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kramer_47
    replied
    Don't you get sick and tired of the so called

There is an exhibit online at the HOF that shows drawings of the uniforms worn by all the team all the way back to 1900.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...s/database.htm

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    In August of '79, I bought a BROOKLYN STILL LOVES THE DODGERS T-shirt from a street vendor in mid town Manhattan for $1. That was cheap, even for the late 70's. The shirt didn't quite fit but I had to have it. I only wore it a couple of times (too small), But again, I had to wear it. Still have it. The "curve ball" regarding this shirt, is that it is black with silver lettering, not blue & white, looking more like a Raiders shirt.
    Also, about a year earlier, Hanes put out what may have been the first quality "throwback" shirt (originally they were called "old-timers"------ Remember?). It was white with Brookly in script across the front. Still have that one, too.

Leave a comment:

• BayRidgeBrooklyn
    replied
    1943 "Brooklyn" road jersey

According to Marc Okkonen's authoritative book "Baseball Uniforms of the 20th Century" (highly useful for identifying dates of old photos), the last season that "Brooklyn" appeared on the Dodgers road uniform was 1945.

The "Dolph Camilli" #4 road jersey (above) is displayed here in my office in Japan. English students regularly ask questions about this very good "Mitchell & Ness" reproduction.

Regarding the anything-for-a-buck memorabilia circus, there are two sides here. While I avoid most so-called "authentic/official" baseball memorabilia (junk like figurines, dinner plates, and cards allegedly containing a chip of a brick, sliver of a bat, a centimeter of a jersey, etc), there are also some high-quality (fitted) caps, antique-style pennants, books, and (in-person) autographs that may be worth your while. Shop around carefully.

Of course, the "real" stuff (dated prior to 1958) is in very limited supply, is often is poor condition, and costs more than a few shekels.

Leave a comment:

• donzblock
    replied
    Originally posted by DODGER DEB
    I own many BROOKLYN DODGER t-shirts and sweatshirts, which always look good with jeans. I also have a few jackets and hats. They are such a great conversation piece. I cannot tell you how many people walk up to me and tell me stories about themselves, and their families, being BROOKLYN fans. The best one for me is my license plate which, one of these days, is going to cause an accident because people insist on starting conversations on the road.

I will admit, though, that the market is saturated with BROOKLYN items. Part of it is because this year was the 50th anniversary, but, mostly, because THEY SELL...and have ALWAYS SOLD....and THAT just thrills me. WE BROOKLYN FANS play an important part in keeping the memory of OUR DODGERS ALIVE, and given the fact that WE haven't had an active team for more than 48 years, I say that's pretty darn good!

It sure makes MLB look like the "prime fools of creation" for allowing baseball to leave BROOKLYN in the first place!

c.
    I get into conversations all the time with Brooklyn Dodger fans, thanks to my Brooklyn Dodger shirts and jackets. And I'm in Pennsylvania. One kid who works in the Paoli Acme, a kid, mind you, can cite chapter and verse of the '55 season, and he does whenever he sees me. But it is amazing how many people my age in Pennsylvania attended games in Ebbets Field.

I even dug up an old New York Giant fan out near Oxford on Route 10. He runs an antique store, and he used to be a "taker" in the Polo Grounds. He calls himself a "taker," not a "ticket taker." And he is loaded with stories about how the money was collected in that old park and how the Brooklyn Dodgers were regarded there.

Leave a comment:

• theAmazingMet
    replied
    The funniest things I have seen are caps from teams like the Boston Braves and Red Sox being hawked as Brooklyn Dodgers. That is almost as amusing as Yankee fans asking me if I am a Red Sox fan while wearing a Brooklyn Dodger hat. "Ummmhhh, Not a big baseball fan are you?" is usually my response.

Leave a comment:

• tonypug
    replied
    The Koufax picture was taken when he was on the Los Angeles Dodgers, it was after his fourth no hitter. Thats what I am talkin about, that had nothing to do with Brooklyn Dodger history.

Leave a comment:

• Buddyman
    replied
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...33222%3A164066

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X