Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't you get sick and tired of the so called Brooklyn memorabilia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• callingit
    replied
    Brooklyn Memorabilia

I even dug up an old New York Giant fan out near Oxford on Route 10. He runs an antique store, and he used to be a "taker" in the Polo Grounds. He calls himself a "taker," not a "ticket taker." And he is loaded with stories about how the money was collected in that old park and how the Brooklyn Dodgers were regarded there.

DonZBOCK, would you happen to remember exactly where this antique shop is? I'd LOVE to track down this 'taker' and have a good chat with him.

I'm in the market for a good Brooklyn throwback jersey but I'm very picky--It can be a replica jersey, but I want Brooklyn across the front, in good condition, without overpaying. I think Mitchell & Ness should be ashamed for charging 159.00 or more for 'replica' jerseys, but they sure are getting it, aren't they?

Leave a comment:

• tonypug
    replied
    Originally posted by Elvis9045
    Not the only reason. But can you name me a business that celebrates anniversaries without tying them into some sort of a promotion?

"Come celebrate (Insert company here) 50th anniversary celebration all month long! Huge savings on everything!"

Sears, Starbuck's, Ford, NFL, NBA, NHL... you name the business (Yes, gasp, baseball is a business) and I'll name you an anniversary promotion designed to make money.

The Dodgers are no different from any other MLB club in promotions. I suppose you already forgot the NFL and NBA's recent 50-year anniversaries which included tons of money making ventures including retro jerseys and other gear. But of course the Dodgers are wicked for having a director of marketing like every other pro sports team - yada yada yada.
    Elvis, Elvis, Elvis you are right about what you said, but we are talking about the Dodgers, not the other money grabbers. The whole 50th anniversary thing left a bad taste in my mouth, everybody involved had their hand out,its just a sign of the times. Some things are best celebrated in our own memories.By the way thats a great avatar, I loved watching Benny Hill.

Leave a comment:

• Elvis
    replied
    Originally posted by tonypug
    They were supposed to make money. Which is the only reason they celebrated the 50th anniversary of 1955, just to make money.
    Not the only reason. But can you name me a business that celebrates anniversaries without tying them into some sort of a promotion?

"Come celebrate (Insert company here) 50th anniversary celebration all month long! Huge savings on everything!"

Sears, Starbuck's, Ford, NFL, NBA, NHL... you name the business (Yes, gasp, baseball is a business) and I'll name you an anniversary promotion designed to make money.

The Dodgers are no different from any other MLB club in promotions. I suppose you already forgot the NFL and NBA's recent 50-year anniversaries which included tons of money making ventures including retro jerseys and other gear. But of course the Dodgers are wicked for having a director of marketing like every other pro sports team - yada yada yada.

Leave a comment:

• tonypug
    replied
    Originally posted by Elvis9045
    Supposed to? Actually they were "supposed" to make money (which they have and will continue to), which is why any special or alternate jersey is designed and marketed these days by any ballclub. If the Dodgers were to market a jersey that not as many people would buy but was "historically accurate" that would be a stupid business practice, don't you think?

-
    They were supposed to make money. Which is the only reason they celebrated the 50th anniversary of 1955, just to make money.

Leave a comment:

• Elvis
    replied
    Originally posted by DODGER DEB
    The uniforms that the west coast group insisted on using last year were supposed to reflect 1947.
    Supposed to? Actually they were "supposed" to make money (which they have and will continue to), which is why any special or alternate jersey is designed and marketed these days by any ballclub. If the Dodgers were to market a jersey that not as many people would buy but was "historically accurate" that would be a stupid business practice, don't you think?

-

Leave a comment:

• Elvis
    replied
    Originally posted by CaliforniaCajun
    The home uniforms with "Brooklyn" on them the Dodgers wore last year never existed. In 1941 only the road uniform had the script "Brooklyn."

The Dodgers weren't trying to create a "replica" jersey. How hard a concept is this to get a grasp on? It was a completely new design inspired by old jerseys. It was never meant to be a representation of the Dodgers home uniforms of 1947. Anyone saying otherwise is simply wrong, despite the propaganda being reported in this thread that they "screwed up" by not getting the '47 replica correct. It wasn't supposed to be a replica.

Leave a comment:

• DODGER DEB
    replied
    Originally posted by CaliforniaCajun
    The home uniforms with "Brooklyn" on them the Dodgers wore last year never existed. In 1941 only the road uniform had the script "Brooklyn."

The uniforms that the west coast group insisted on using last year were supposed to reflect 1947. As I have stated here several times, they were told, and told, and told again, that in 1947 WE did NOT have BROOKLYN on either OUR home or road uniforms.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink!

c.

Leave a comment:

• CaliforniaCajun
    replied
    The Dodger retro uniforms last year never existed

Originally posted by 55 chmps
    I believe that the Dodgers had Brooklyn even on their home jerseys in 1941. I think last year, the LA Dodgers wore throwback uniforms from '41 that said Brooklyn on the front.

Leave a comment:

• jaykay
    replied
    Originally posted by donzblock
    When will you be posting a photo of your "Property of Brooklyn Dodgers" shirt? And is there any company today that is selling such a shirt? Also, is there any truth to the story that you were once caught wearing a "Property of Fat Frank Losquadro" shirt? I would like one of those, too.

Answers are:
    Never
    Not a chance
    No

But see PM for exciting offer. Anything to make you happy again.

Leave a comment:

• donzblock
    replied
    Originally posted by jaykay
    As far as Dodger memorabilia is concerned: in QUANTITY, I rank somewhere around last place, but for decades I've had an item that no one has mentioned yet. It's heavier than a T-shirt, lighter than a sweatshirt, 3/4 length sleeves in royal blue, center area in white - the kind a player might wear under a uniform jersey...and in that center area are the words "PROPERTY OF BROOKLYN DODGERS." It's lasted for decades because I hardly wear it, although when I do it attracts plenty of attention. It was available briefly during the time "Property Of....." became something of a fad, beginning with college kids pilfering those gym shirts announcing ".....University of [Whatever] Athletic Department." There was a company that advertised in one of the sports magazines which would make up such garments for any team you wished. If you saw someone in those days wearing "Property Of Sheboygan Redskins" or "Property Of New York Rovers," that was Fat Frank Losquadro, our neighborhood bookie and jailbird. (Being gifted with wit as well as discretionary income, he also had one that said "Property Of Fat Frank Losquadro.")
    But once again, I am digressing.
    Was there actually such a Brooklyn Dodgers shirt? Was it strictly novelty memorabilia, or were the guys on the team issued this kind of priceless apparel to wear? I've never seen a photo of one, but that (like much of what I say) doesn't prove a thing.
    What have you heard?
    When will you be posting a photo of your "Property of Brooklyn Dodgers" shirt? And is there any company today that is selling such a shirt? Also, is there any truth to the story that you were once caught wearing a "Property of Fat Frank Losquadro" shirt? I would like one of those, too.

Leave a comment:

• jaykay
    replied
    As far as Dodger memorabilia is concerned: in QUANTITY, I rank somewhere around last place, but for decades I've had an item that no one has mentioned yet. It's heavier than a T-shirt, lighter than a sweatshirt, 3/4 length sleeves in royal blue, center area in white - the kind a player might wear under a uniform jersey...and in that center area are the words "PROPERTY OF BROOKLYN DODGERS." It's lasted for decades because I hardly wear it, although when I do it attracts plenty of attention. It was available briefly during the time "Property Of....." became something of a fad, beginning with college kids pilfering those gym shirts announcing ".....University of [Whatever] Athletic Department." There was a company that advertised in one of the sports magazines which would make up such garments for any team you wished. If you saw someone in those days wearing "Property Of Sheboygan Redskins" or "Property Of New York Rovers," that was Fat Frank Losquadro, our neighborhood bookie and jailbird. (Being gifted with wit as well as discretionary income, he also had one that said "Property Of Fat Frank Losquadro.")
    But once again, I am digressing.
    Was there actually such a Brooklyn Dodgers shirt? Was it strictly novelty memorabilia, or were the guys on the team issued this kind of priceless apparel to wear? I've never seen a photo of one, but that (like much of what I say) doesn't prove a thing.
    What have you heard?

Leave a comment:

• donzblock
    replied
    Originally posted by webmaster
    So much has been said about the type of items, the quantity of items, and those items which are spinoffs (a modern trend I believe that plagues each time - even my daughter has a pink t-shirt with a Marlins logo on it), but was is the best item you have / own? Which of the 30 shirts in your closet is your favorite and if you don't like some of those 30 shirts anymore please just send me a PM and I'll send you my address so you can get rid of those yucky ones.
    I would like some of those yucky ones you now have in your closet. In fact, I would like to see some of those yucky ones restored to this thread.

Regarding the yucky ones remaining in my closet, even the ones that are shredded I cannot get rid of; I managed to preserve a Brooklyn Dodger Bum logo on one and will take it to a tailor some day and have it sewn onto a navy blue sports jacket. I am not kidding.

Leave a comment:

• webmaster
    replied
    So much has been said about the type of items, the quantity of items, and those items which are spinoffs (a modern trend I believe that plagues each time - even my daughter has a pink t-shirt with a Marlins logo on it), but was is the best item you have / own? Which of the 30 shirts in your closet is your favorite and if you don't like some of those 30 shirts anymore please just send me a PM and I'll send you my address so you can get rid of those yucky ones.

Leave a comment:

• bobw357
    replied
    Memorabilia

Nice photo from the BPL site

Leave a comment:

• kramer_47
    replied
    Don't you get sick and tired of the so called Brooklyn memorabilia?

Manny's world moved to Jersey years ago, I don't know if he still opened, He had everything very nice store. Stan Martucci bought those stores near Yankee stadium, he also has great selection of baseball memorabilia, I think Stan has 2 memorabilia stores and a bar on that block. Talking about some of the authorized HOF things like hats and shirts some are off the wall how do they authorize that junk. About 10 years ago I bought every Brooklyn hat from 1900-57 for my collection except the 1937 green cap, they are exact to what they wore back then, I got them from a wholesaler in Alabama they are made by American Needle. I'm proud to wear everyone of them but you aren't catching me in some red or orange pinstripe cap that is suppose to be Brooklyn Dodgers because it has a "B" on it.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X