December 31, 1897

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December 31, 1897

On December 31, 1897, CHARLES H. EBBETS, the team treasurer, bought the controlling interest in OUR BROOKLYN DODGERS.

Mr. Ebbets always seemed like one of the "good guys". He loved baseball, and OUR team. And, he built OUR EBBETS FIELD.

Do WE know enough about him to compare him with the others who "took over" OUR DODGERS?

Comments, please!

c.

Well I know a couple things....
    Some loser named Ned Hanlon was determined to do what O'Malley would years later. Hanlon wanted to transfer the borough's beloved team out of Brooklyn. Hanlon might well have gotten his way except for one loyal Dodger employee who not only loved the Dodgers but had faith for the team. His name was our first recorded saint named Charley Ebbets. Ebbets worked for the team since 1883. He called them the Dodgers because the ballpark was situated in the middle of a lot of trolley cars and you took your own life into your own hands tryin to dodge the trollies. Well, anywho..
    The majority stock holder of the Dodgers was Harry von der Horst. He rewarded Ebbets, making him an owner by selling him several of his shares. Von der Horst was impressed with Ebbets. Von dder Horst became ill and he put his stock interest up for sale. It was then that Hanlon, the dodger manager at the time, announced his intention to buy the stock, take over the team, and move it to Baltimore, where he managed before he came to the Dodgers. Ebbets had no money.He got all of his friends and after pleading the merits of baseball in Brooklyn, he found one man who was interested. he was a furniture dealer and his name was Henry Medicus who trusted Ebbets enough and lent him the funds to buy Von der Horst's stock. And so it was that Ebbets, not Hanlon, became the new owner of the Dodgers. As a result the Dodgers stayed in Brooklyn, and the rest is history.
    Last edited by 55 chmps; 01-05-2006, 02:16 PM.
    "It kills me to lose. If I'm a troublemaker, and I don't think that my temper makes me one, then it's because I can't stand losing. That's the way I am about winning, all I ever wanted to do was finish first."

-Jackie Robinson

55 and 56 chmps.... The two headed monster

Comment

Originally posted by 55 chmps
      Well I know a couple things....
      Some loser named Ned Hanlon was determined to do what O'Malley would years later. Hanlon wanted to transfer the borough's beloved team out of Brooklyn. Hanlon might well have gotten his way except for one loyal Dodger employee who not only loved the Dodgers but had faith for the team. His name was our first recorded saint named Charley Ebbets. Ebbets worked for the team since 1883. He called them the Dodgers because the ballpark was situated in the middle of a lot of trolley cars and you took your own life into your own hands tryin to dodge the trollies. Well, anywho..
      The majority stock holder of the Dodgers was Harry von der Horst. He rewarded Ebbets, making him an owner by selling him several of his shares. Von der Horst was impressed with Ebbets. Von dder Horst became ill and he put his stock interest up for sale. It was then that Hanlon, the dodger manager at the time, announced his intention to buy the stock, take over the team, and move it to Baltimore, where he managed before he came to the Dodgers. Ebbets had no money.He got all of his friends and after pleading the merits of baseball in Brooklyn, he found one man who was interested. he was a furniture dealer and his name was Henry Medicus who trusted Ebbets enough and lent him the funds to buy Von der Horst's stock. And so it was that Ebbets, not Hanlon, became the new owner of the Dodgers. As a result the Dodgers stayed in Brooklyn, and the rest is history.
      55 Chmps, I am impressed. You really do your research. A really great post.
      Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
      www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X