Ebbets Field memories, come and get it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebbets Field memories, come and get it

In using my access to old newspapers(from SABR) I have come across a lot of fascinating stuff but an article from the March 17th, 1960 edition of the NY Times featured a plea from Henry Avirom (It doesn't say who he is) for any takers to come on down to the Ebbets Field and take anything they want: seats,benches, lockers etc. I can't believe this, I would have filled up my basement. I could have had Duke Snider's locker!!! I wouldn't believe it if I didn't read it with my own eyes.
    sigpic

I don't think people were as nostalgia minded in those days and I am sure most of the stuff just was dumped in Staten Island. I know the lights went to Randall's Island and Warren Giles bought the cornerstone for the Hall. I sure would love to have had a few seats for the Rec Room.

Comment

Henry Avirom

Originally posted by Shotgun Shuba
      In using my access to old newspapers(from SABR) I have come across a lot of fascinating stuff but an article from the March 17th, 1960 edition of the NY Times featured a plea from Henry Avirom (It doesn't say who he is) for any takers to come on down to the Ebbets Field and take anything they want: seats,benches, lockers etc. I can't believe this, I would have filled up my basement. I could have had Duke Snider's locker!!! I wouldn't believe it if I didn't read it with my own eyes.
      Henry avirom was the vice president of wrecking corporation of america who,s company tore down ebbets field and 4 years later the polo grounds.they also had a auction for items from ebbets field then.
      LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X