No announcement yet.

Come Applaud Author JOSHUA PRAGER......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come Applaud Author JOSHUA PRAGER......

I have just been advised that Wall Street Journalist Sportswriter JOSHUA PRAGER, author of the now infamous THE ECHOING GREEN will be appearing at the BROOKLYN MUSEUM Tuesday evening, January 30th, at 7PM.

The BROOKLYN MUSEUM is located on Eastern Parkway at Flatbush Avenue where there is free parking. JOSHUA will be reading from his now famous book.

WE BROOKLYN DODGER FANS owe JOSHUA a huge debt of gratitude for uncovering one of MLB worst illegal "dirty tricks", perpetuated on OUR DODGERS and on US!

JOSHUA will also be appearing at the Barnes & Noble Store in Springfield, NJ on Thursday evening, February 1st, at 7:30PM.

Hope you can make one of them!

c.

CORRECTION:

I just received a call from the same person who gave me the information last night and he tells me that the BROOKLYN MUSEUM is closed on Tuesday, so JOSHUA PRAGER will instead be at THE BROOKLYN PUBLIC LIBRARY, which, I believe, is right next store.

c.

Comment

He will also be at the NYC SABR regional on February 10 (next Saturday), at the Mid-Manhattan Library, 455 Fifth Avenue, between 39 & 40 St.

Comment

The Echoing Green is my new favorite baseball book. Being that I am only 35 years old.... well, I suppose that does not say much, but TEG is just a fantastic book. More than a historical piece, Prager expertly weaves social commentary, biography, sportswriting, and "who dunnit" mystery carried out under the noses of the nation, culminating in what is still the most exciting moment in baseball history.

All this time, people thought Branca had such a tremendous burden to bear. But due to Ralphs incredible character and fortitude, and the fact that the Giants did what they did, it turns out that Thomson was the one who has had to carry the bigger burden all this time.

Enjoy the night with Mr. Prager. Let him know this Cardinals fan, a midwesterner his whole life, has just opened his book for a second read in two months.
        Last edited by StanTheMan; 02-03-2007, 05:48 PM.
        "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

It was a pleasure to see Joshua Prager read from his book today and discuss it. He's a sharp, animated guy. Along with the personalities of Branca and Thomson, and the impact of The Shot Heard Round the World, one thing that struck me was that he said he was careful only to include things that he could absolutely document. Apparently he made really good use of photographic evidence.

Unfortunately, there were only a few copies of the book for sale, so I missed out on a chance to get a signed one. He suggested I go to his website.

Comment

Originally posted by VIBaseball
            It was a pleasure to see Joshua Prager read from his book today and discuss it. He's a sharp, animated guy. Along with the personalities of Branca and Thomson, and the impact of The Shot Heard Round the World, one thing that struck me was that he said he was careful only to include things that he could absolutely document. Apparently he made really good use of photographic evidence.

Unfortunately, there were only a few copies of the book for sale, so I missed out on a chance to get a signed one. He suggested I go to his website.
            Let me pose a question to you VIB, and any others who care to comment. I have had several people suggest to me that an * should be inserted in all record books next to the NY Giants and their 1951 NL Pennant win, now that the truth has been discovered on how they won it. What do you think? Would that be called for in this case?

c.
            Last edited by DODGER DEB; 02-10-2007, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB
              Let me pose a question to you VIB, and any others who care to comment. I have had several people suggest to me that an * should inserted in all record books next to the NY Giants and their 1951 NL Pennant win, now that the truth has been discovered on how they won it. What do you think? Would that be called for in this case?

c.
              More so than in the case of poor Roger Maris! What was done to him was not illegal but was dirty as hell! Yes-put one on Durocher especially!

Brownie31

Comment

I'm not bent out of shape about sign-stealing. It's practically as old as the sport itself, and as somebody said today at the Prager reading, you still have to hit the ball. Plus, a lot of players (I don't know if Thomson was among them) don't even want the signs. It doesn't help them to know what's coming.

One comment Joshua made, though: the Giants' surge in 1951, for whatever reason, did seem to coincide with the onset of their sign-stealing.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X