Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOF Veterans Committe's Vote.....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by EbtsFldGuy
    Putting aside my disdain for O'M and what he did to Brooklyn (and, by extension, to Manhattan by dragging the Giants with him), I have to side with Shotgun Shuba on this one.

    O'M opened up the West for baseball, which in turn led to the Southwest.
    What he did was a stroke of genius for the game (in addition, of course, to being a personal gold mine).

    Sure, viewed objectively, he belongs in the HOF - though I'd wear a black arm band on the day of his induction.

    It was inevitable that California would have major league baseball. Bill Veeck and others talked about it since the early forties.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Flatbush Flock
      It was inevitable that California would have major league baseball. Bill Veeck and others talked about it since the early forties.
      Wednesday, February 3, 1955: Bill Veeck and Chicago Cubs owner Philip K. Wrigley look over the drawing of a proposed expansion of Los Angeles' Wrigley Field to 50,000 for major league baseball. Veeck has just spent fourteen months study the situation in both Los Angeles and San Francisco for major league baseball.

      Brownie31
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Flatbush Flock
        It was inevitable that California would have major league baseball. Bill Veeck and others talked about it since the early forties.
        True enough, but he not only DID it, but also engineered the necessary move of TWO teams to CA.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by EbtsFldGuy
          True enough, but he not only DID it, but also engineered the necessary move of TWO teams to CA.
          Which of course makes him twice as evil and twice as not deserving entrance into the Hall of Fame.

          Did what was done benefit baseball? Well in 1966 the Smithsonian did a study and found the theft of the Brooklyn franchise turned more people off from baseball than anything that had come before.

          It also helped peak the interest in the NFL...the Giants victory over the Bears in 1956 was very hum hum but after these dastardly deeds, the NFL championship game in 1958 begun the ascent of the NFL as our national pastime...perhaps O'Malley belongs in the NFL Hall of Fame for how he helped spur the interest in the NFL.

          Comment


          • #20
            [QUOTE=MATHA531]Which of course makes him twice as evil and twice as not deserving entrance into the Hall of Fame.

            Did what was done benefit baseball? Well in 1966 the Smithsonian did a study and found the theft of the Brooklyn franchise turned more people off from baseball than anything that had come before.

            I'm not familiar with that study.

            There is no doubt, though, that LA became a thriving franchise. Sadly, the Giants swam in turbulent financial waters for decades.

            Believe me, folks, I'm no fan of O'M. I STILL miss Ebbets Field and the indescribable Dodger experience there, and resent his taking that away from us all.

            But from a business perspective, he was in the vanguard.

            Comment


            • #21
              Well, everyone, WE are down to one week and counting, to the HOF Vets Committee vote, on February 27th.

              Does anyone have a prediction about whether GIL will make it this year?

              I spoke with Joan (Hodges) a few days ago, and she is excited, but nervous and anxious, and praying a lot. While I would love to see it happen for all BROOKLYN DODGER fans, I especially want it to happen for hersake. She so appreciates all OUR support in this effort through the years.

              Let's hope this time GIL will catch the gold ring!

              c.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by DODGER DEB
                Well, everyone, WE are down to one week and counting, to the HOF Vets Committee vote, on February 27th.

                Does anyone have a prediction about whether GIL will make it this year?

                I spoke with Joan (Hodges) a few days ago, and she is excited, but nervous and anxious, and praying a lot. While I would love to see it happen for all BROOKLYN DODGER fans, I especially want it to happen for hersake. She so appreciates all OUR support in this effort through the years.

                Let's hope this time GIL will catch the gold ring!

                c.
                Deb-

                From the list I've seen, it seems like Gil and Ron Santo are the only two logical choices. Roger Maris would be my other pick, but this is coming from a biased person.

                If you are religious, superstitious or not, everyone should hope, pray, grab their lucky rabbits feet, 4-leaf clovers, troll dolls, or whatever else brings them luck, and hold them so very close on February 27'th.

                Even if Gil doesn't get in, he's still a true Hall of Famer in my book.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Here's hoping for Gil Hodges-the most deserving nominee!

                  Brownie31
                  Attached Files

                  Comment

                  Ad Widget

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X