Happy Birthday Babe Ruth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday Babe Ruth!

Today would have been Babe Ruth's 112th birthday. Though Babe Ruth is most famous for his playing career, his one season as Brookyln Dodgers' Pitching Coach ( 1938 ) links him forever with this special franchise.

A case can be made that Babe Ruth was the most differential player in the history of team sports.

Originally posted by D6+
    Today would have been Babe Ruth's 112th birthday. Though Babe Ruth is most famous for his playing career, his one season as Brookyln Dodgers' Pitching Coach ( 1938 ) links him forever with this special franchise.

A case can be made that Babe Ruth was the most differential player in the history of team sports.
    A very, very good case! The next closest, IMHO, would be Michael Jordan.

Brownie31

Comment

I probably would go with Michael Jordan as the 2nd most differential player in team sports ( I'm only considering North America leagues. ) The only other player who comes to mind as a possibility is former Redskins QB-S-P Sammy Baugh. He was the only player in the history of the NFL to lead the league in TD's, Interceptions, and Punting Avg. in the same season.

Sammy Baugh's the closest thing to being the " Babe Ruth of the NFL". The only reason I would put Michael Jordan ahead of him is Jordan was able to lead his Chicago Bulls teams to more Championships than Baugh was able to with the Boston/ Washington Redskins.

One thing I've noticed is baseball players from long ago are recognized more by today's fans for what they accomplished than football players. While Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb, Ted Williams, Cy Young, Jackie Robinson, etc. are recognized by many of today's fans as amongest the elite players in the history of the game, I'm amazed at how Sammy Baugh, Sid Luckman, Otto Graham, and Bobby Layne get overlooked in many of the discussions about who the best QB of all-time is.

Comment

Originally posted by D6+
        I probably would go with Michael Jordan as the 2nd most differential player in team sports ( I'm only considering North America leagues. ) The only other player who comes to mind as a possibility is former Redskins QB-S-P Sammy Baugh. He was the only player in the history of the NFL to lead the league in TD's, Interceptions, and Punting Avg. in the same season.

Sammy Baugh's the closest thing to being the " Babe Ruth of the NFL". The only reason I would put Michael Jordan ahead of him is Jordan was able to lead his Chicago Bulls teams to more Championships than Baugh was able to with the Boston/ Washington Redskins.

One thing I've noticed is baseball players from long ago are recognized more by today's fans for what they accomplished than football players. While Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb, Ted Williams, Cy Young, Jackie Robinson, etc. are recognized by many of today's fans as amongest the elite players in the history of the game, I'm amazed at how Sammy Baugh, Sid Luckman, Otto Graham, and Bobby Layne get overlooked in many of the discussions about who the best QB of all-time is.
        Excellent point. Many of us post pictures from as far back as the 1800s on this forum, on some football forums they act like you're stupid if you post a picture of Red Grange!

Brownie31

Comment

I have always been proud to share the Babe's birthday.
          Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X