Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whos seen the inner sanctrum?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whos seen the inner sanctrum?

    I recently read that Mantle once described an appearance on Happy Felton's post game show at EF and said that he had to do the show in a room in a bowling alley across from EF because there was no studio at the park when he did this in one of the World Series years.

    This sparked a curiosity that I invite any of you with knowledge to answer. Although we discussed the non-public areas of EF in an old thread, I don't think we had an anwser to this question:

    Did any of you ever get to see the parts of EF that the public never saw?

    If you did, tell us about your experience and what you saw!

    P.S. There should have been an apostrophe in "whos" in the title to this thread, but I discovered this too late to edit it!
    Last edited by EbtsFldGuy; 01-15-2006, 11:47 AM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by EbtsFldGuy
    P.S. There should have been an apostrophe in "whos" in the title to this thread, but I discovered this too late to edit it!
    And what would you have done about your "sanctrum"?

    Regarding the location of "Talk to the Stars," was that show aired from Freddie Fitzsimmons' Lanes? If so, I never knew that. Did we ever hear pins toppling in the background? Did the human pinsetters suspend what they were doing during the show?
    Last edited by donzblock; 01-16-2006, 02:36 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Two places of interest most folks never got to see at Ebbets Field were the Stevens "dining" room and the lounge for the writers that MacPhail built in the upper rafters.
      I have seen photos of an art deco looking lounge but never of the Stevens room
      that Red Barber once mentioned where he learned much from umpires over a sandwich or two.
      Anyone here been there?

      Comment


      • #4
        I believe Jaykay is preserving the Stevens room in a part of Brooklyn not too far removed from the Rotunda. Naturally, he has not been forthcoming about the exact location. But he can give you a precise description of it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by donzblock
          I believe Jaykay is preserving the Stevens room in a part of Brooklyn not too far removed from the Rotunda. Naturally, he has not been forthcoming about the exact location. But he can give you a precise description of it.
          Could it be at Freddie Fitz's on Empire, Professor?

          c.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DODGER DEB
            Could it be at Freddie Fitz's on Empire, Professor?

            c.
            That would have been my guess.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by donzblock
              That would have been my guess.

              Jaykay, if this is true, are WE to assume that all the time you have been missing, you have been digging a tunnel connecting OUR Rotunda with Freddie's place? I would suppose that any of this, which starts at OUR Rotunda, is a really a part of OUR inner sanctrum, would you agree?

              c.
              Last edited by DODGER DEB; 01-31-2006, 11:40 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                That would be a useful endeavor, something he could easily accomplish in his spare time. Rumor has it that there has already been a lot of digging in that area by relatives of Jerry Stern.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by donzblock
                  That would be a useful endeavor, something he could easily accomplish in his spare time. Rumor has it that there has already been a lot of digging in that area by relatives of Jerry Stern.
                  I'm thinking, Professor, could this have been the place where Hoffa took a wrong right turn......and Jaykay lost him forever? Hard to believe that Jerry, or his relatives, topped Jaykay in the process.

                  c.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DODGER DEB
                    I'm thinking, Professor, could this have been the place where Hoffa took a wrong right turn......and Jaykay lost him forever? Hard to believe that Jerry, or his relatives, topped Jaykay in the process.

                    c.
                    Jimmy's wrong right turn turned out to be the right one. He is fine. He and Jaykay have minor disagreements over the upkeep of the Rotunda, nothing serious, certainly nothing as serious as what Jerry Stern suffered after the first bite. Jaykay, I am told, also has original menus from the Stevens room.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by donzblock
                      Jimmy's wrong right turn turned out to be the right one. He is fine. He and Jaykay have minor disagreements over the upkeep of the Rotunda, nothing serious, certainly nothing as serious as what Jerry Stern suffered after the first bite. Jaykay, I am told, also has original menus from the Stevens room.
                      AHA! So that's where all those green hotdogs wound up! Do you think they're still floating in the original water, Professor? I mean, WE did determine some time ago how much flavor that "special water" added to those hotdogs.....remember?

                      c.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Okay, okay, have your fun, you two. This is obviously what Judge McCoy used to call a slow news day. It's been raining all day where I am, and if I were a betting man (which I am), I'd wager that eastern Pennsylvania is wet, too. [Don't take that bet. My brother-in-law, the master psychologist, lives in the area, and I just got off the phone with him.]
                        When I read the posting a few weeks ago about the Happy Felton post-game show originating from Fitzsimmons's bowling alley, I was sorely tempted to issue a challenge to anyone who believed that.....but having challenged the universe once or twice more than was good for me, I kept my own counsel. Now that it's come up again, I assure you that a) the program took place at Ebbets Field, and b) it did not follow any World Series games, so I can't imagine Mickey Mantle being on it. But you hear all kinds of things, especially on this forum.
                        I know nothing of the rumors of a tunnel, or of Hoffa's return. Vic Voydock was the Rotunda man last time I looked. It was he, not I, offering for sale original menus from the "Stevens Room," with not only the Bill Of Fare, but the day's probable lineups printed right under the desserts. Voydock is said to be a cousin of both Jerry Stern and Irwin Finkelstein, and even though conclusive evidence is lacking, I am prepared to believe it.
                        Well, that wraps up January, you guys. We are a month closer to Opening Day, 20__, Philadelphia vs. Brooklyn at the new Ebbets Field. Remember, we meet at 12:30 pm in the new Stevens Room, located right above the old Rotunda: Professor Block, Judge McCoy, shlevine, strummer, Stern, the O'Malleys will all be there, entertainment by the Dodger Debs. Don't miss it.
                        pb::

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'll be there. Especially if you can promise that those franks are in the original water, which as I believe, was never changed from day to day, (let alone hourly) and may not have been changed until the season was over and new water was used on openiong day the next season -- which is probably why the taste of the franks "matured" over the course of the season.

                          Comment

                          Ad Widget

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X