Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do YOU think about a 1957 "reunion"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do YOU think about a 1957 "reunion"?

It has come to my attention that a few people are tossing around the idea of having a "reunion" (not the word I would use, but I suppose as good as any) of OUR 1957 (and last) season? Certainly it would NOT be a celebration; but what exactly would it be? Do WE all sit around and commiserate about how sad it still is for US to even think about the horrible events of that year?

Any thoughts on this? Please share them.

c.

Originally posted by DODGER DEB View Post
    It has come to my attention that a few people are tossing around the idea of having a "reunion" (not the word I would use, but I suppose as good as any) of OUR 1957 (and last) season? Certainly it would NOT be a celebration; but what exactly would it be? Do WE all sit around and commiserate about how sad it still is for US to even think about the horrible events of that year?

c.
    If I may.

Why don't you just share the good memories you have on that last season or the seasons before? There must be some, if not quite a few. What about sharing pictures that you guys have made?

Just my :twocents:

Comment

I was born in 1957 so I missed everything. But I would love to sit w/you guys and listen to old stories and.................cry.
      I got the Brooklyn Dodger DVD and it's awesome and sad and poingant beyond words.....The stuff on Pee Wee had me crying unabashedly.

c.

Comment

Yeah I'd definately be interested in a meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by SNAP View Post
          I was born in 1957 so I missed everything. But I would love to sit w/you guys and listen to old stories and.................cry.
          I got the Brooklyn Dodger DVD and it's awesome and sad and poingant beyond words.....The stuff on Pee Wee had me crying unabashedly.
          Like SNAP I was too young to really remember much and the fact that I'm a few thousand miles from Brooklyn would make it impossible to attend. But I think a reunion type CELEBRATION, yes a CELEBRATION, of an obviously unforgettable era is a wonderful idea. Hopefully, having the talk posted on this site would not only inform those of us who missed most of the Brooklyn era, but would also allow those who can't physically attend to contribute.
          Last edited by ColtscorrAL; 05-21-2007, 12:50 PM.
          http://www.nflfans.com/x/forumdisplay.php?f=55 :atthepc

Comment

Commemoration may be a proper label and I would be privileged to attend such a gathering, particularly if some of the original luminaries of this group offered up the possibility of participation including, the "piece de resistance", news that jaykay was planning a sojourn from the home.
            After 1957, it seemed like we would never laugh again. Of course, we did. Its just that we were never young again.

Comment

Originally posted by The Real McCoy View Post
              Commemoration may be a proper label and I would be privileged to attend such a gathering, particularly if some of the original luminaries of this group offered up the possibility of participation including, the "piece de resistance", news that jaykay was planning a sojourn from the home.
              You flatter me, Judge. (It's about time you did.)

I'm sure you realize that I am not free to come and go as I please. In the metaphysical sense, that is true of all of us, but in my case it includes specifics that render me helpless. I am always planning sojourns from "the home," but the latter is of course merely a metaphor, as I have for some period been away from the facility where I did time with the Hanratty brothers, Hands and Feets, two of your avowed favorites. My memories of you are the fondest, particularly the moments spent in your courtroom with the likes of Willie Newsome, DonZBlock and Irwin Finkelstein. I'm afraid the best chance we had to meet in person was that gathering arranged for Jerry Stern's office, but since you didn't show up (I know, I know, neither did anybody else) our moment may have passed. And yet.....who knows that we may have crossed paths on a street unbeknownst, or had our eyes lock for a fraction of a second across a crowded room, or dreamed of Dolores Nejamie on the same night... If it hasn't happened yet, tomorrow is another day - or night, as the case may be.

Those who have been around this forum for as many moons as we have will realize that the foregoing does indeed have much to do with the Brooklyn Dodgers, and so should not be deleted. We have traveled a long and winding path together, with the end not yet in sight (so says my guru, but he has been wrong before). So while I cannot pledge to attend the contemplated 1957 reunion, I will most definitely (as previously promised) be at opening day in 20___ when the Dodgers return to Brooklyn, and hope to see you then. Best wishes to everyone.
              pb::

Comment

"I wanted people to look at me and say, 'there goes Roy Hobbs, the best there ever was' "........Robert Redford as Roy Hobbs in "The Natural"

The Brooklyn Dodgers portion of Baseball Fever is, to me, the "Roy Hobbs" of all the threads, due in large part to the contributors, present and past, and, certainly to the leadership Dodger Deb has provided over the past several years.

There's a tendency to succumb to memories and overstate how good things were in years past, but as followers of the Flock know well, sometimes, just sometimes, memories are, indeed, an accurate reflection of how good things really were. The Dodgers were as great as every memory reminds us they were and, as one who was around for the "first pitch" of the Brooklyn Dodgers thread, I can attest that there were some great chroniclers of those memories: Jerry Stern, Don Block, Steve Levine to mention just three, but the guy who stopped us all in our tracks, the guy who "led the league" in humor, originality and just plain "readable" stuff was jaykay, about whom it was often said, "I wish I'd written that". He was the best that ever was.
                After 1957, it seemed like we would never laugh again. Of course, we did. Its just that we were never young again.

Comment

Judge, when you are right.....you are right!

For a long time OUR forum was the top team forum on BBF, and that was in no small way because of the contributions of many of the original members that I found here several years ago. It was, in fact, what pushed me to to become a member......so I could join in and contribute my treasured memories of OUR so very special team.

There are those that say, and have said, that memory plays tricks on US as WE grow older. But, truth be told, OUR memories of OUR BROOKLYN DODGERS and OUR days/years at OUR Ebbets Field are perfectly in tact, and remain that way. Sometimes when I think about it, I think WE were "chosen" to keep the memory of OUR DODGERS alive and pass those precious times and stories about OUR incredible players on to the present generations who want to know about that oh, so special time in BROOKLYN, and in what now seems like so long ago. It is so gratifying to me to know that WE have attracked many "new" BROOKLYN fans who are very interested in OUR history and OUR team.

BUT, I must also tell you how sad this past year has been for me, when I log on each morning and do not find those who I so enjoyed discussing those times with every day...and sometimes into the night. It was so much fun with the Professor, shlevine42, you, Judge, strummer, BrooklynBoy, paulmcall, and of course, jaykay (who is a gem), as WE created long tales which in the end, left me in stitches....but, always, always loving the ride (especially down to OUR Rotunda). IT truly was so much fun......fun that I looked forward to each day.

I sometimes go back and read some of those threads that went on for days, sometimes weeks, and I laugh and cry at the same time. Remember the one with Wizard and Chancellor about the Big "O"? That one set a record.....but when it came to defending OUR DODGERS, WE never gave up..and WE never gave in! They would be so proud of how loyal and true WE remain.

Thank you for your kind words, Judge. But, it is I that should be thanking all of you for your support and allowing me to be part of this wonderful group known as BROOKLYN DODGERS FANS.....from BROOKLYN!

I so wish WE could bring back what WE had!

c.
                  Last edited by DODGER DEB; 05-25-2007, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I have been visiting this forum for only a short time, but from what I have read here, you are absolutely right. In fact, an editor could distill a book from this forum and call it "Tales of Jaykay and the Judge," with 11 % of the proceeds going to me for marketing the idea.

Comment

Now that Judge McCoy has written my obituary, do I bother getting up tomorrow?
                      I always felt that McCoy himself had the sharpest wit, the most significant.....how shall I say it.....je ne sais quoi?....I could not wait for his latest post concerning the barflies he hung out with, the celebrities who passed through his life, the numerous jobs he won and lost.....a man to be reckoned with, despite his advancing years.
                      Dodger Deb, you are so sweet to call me a "gem," but in the future kindly use the very first word that comes to mind, regardless of the emotional wound it may cause.
                      And as for this guy Thinslow, you should know that the Judge/Jaykay collection was offered on Abebooks for the usual $0.01 plus $3.50 shipping until it sold out. I believe McCoy now has all the copies, so you should try to collect your royalties from him. By the way, your remarks have a familiar ring - more like a gong, actually. Could it be that we've met? Is Thinslow your real name? Were you a fan of Captain Midnight? [No reply necessary]
                      pb::

Comment

Judge, when you are right.....you are right!

For a long time OUR forum was the top team forum on BBF, and that was in no small way because of the contributions of many of the original members that I found here several years ago. It was, in fact, what pushed me to to become a member......so I could join in and contribute my treasured memories of OUR so very special team.

There are those that say, and have said, that memory plays tricks on US as WE grow older. But, truth be told, OUR memories of OUR BROOKLYN DODGERS and OUR days/years at OUR Ebbets Field are perfectly in tact, and remain that way. Sometimes when I think about it, I think WE were "chosen" to keep the memory of OUR DODGERS alive and pass those precious times and stories about OUR incredible players on to the present generations who want to know about that oh, so special time in BROOKLYN, and in what now seems like so long ago. It is so gratifying to me to know that WE have attracked many "new" BROOKLYN fans who are very interested in OUR history and OUR team.

BUT, I must also tell you how sad this past year has been for me, when I log on each morning and do not find those who I so enjoyed discussing those times with every day...and sometimes into the night. It was so much fun with the Professor, shlevine42, you, Judge, strummer, BrooklynBoy, paulmcall, and of course, jaykay (who is a gem), as WE created long tales which in the end, left me in stitches....but, always, always loving the ride (especially down to OUR Rotunda). IT truly was so much fun......fun that I looked forward to each day.

I sometimes go back and read some of those threads that went on for days, sometimes weeks, and I laugh and cry at the same time. Remember the one with Wizard and Chancellor about the Big "O"? That one set a record.....but when it came to defending OUR DODGERS, WE never gave up..and WE never gave in! They would be so proud of how loyal and true WE remain.

Thank you for your kind words, Judge. But, it is I that should be thanking all of you for your support and allowing me to be part of this wonderful group known as BROOKLYN DODGERS FANS.....from BROOKLYN!

I so wish WE could bring back what WE had!

c.
                        Like the Dodgers did in Brooklyn so many years ago, you Deb have created something very special with this site. Not only is it a great place to talk about the old memories that many have first hand knowledge of, but it's a great place for posters like me to learn about the Dodgers of Brooklyn. So let's keep this site strong and vibrant. I know I'm not an every day poster, but I do enjoy reading about the Dodgers and their days in Brooklyn. Keep up the great work, because it's up to those who were there to keep the memories alive.
                        http://www.nflfans.com/x/forumdisplay.php?f=55 :atthepc

Comment

I agree with The Judge that Commemoration may be a proper label for that gathering of proud BROOKLYN DODGERS FANS and I too would be privileged to attend such a gathering.

May I suggest the gathering be at the Brooklyn Baseball Gallery in KeySpan Park before a Cyclones game. Who knows? They might even promote the game as a "Brooklyn Dodgers Fan Day". ... Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by ColtscorrAL View Post
                            Like the Dodgers did in Brooklyn so many years ago, you Deb have created something very special with this site. Not only is it a great place to talk about the old memories that many have first hand knowledge of, but it's a great place for posters like me to learn about the Dodgers of Brooklyn. So let's keep this site strong and vibrant. I know I'm not an every day poster, but I do enjoy reading about the Dodgers and their days in Brooklyn. Keep up the great work, because it's up to those who were there to keep the memories alive.
                            Thank you, ColtscorrAL. I am glad that you find OUR Forum a great place to visit and learn from.

I do think, though, that it is very important that WE keep OUR BROOKLYN DODGER FAMILY together here on OUR Forum. After all, in case anyone hasn't noticed, BROOKLYN DODGER FANS have ceased growing on trees, and those planted and grown in OUR special years, are growing thinner each year. I was reminded of this in an email from a "former" member recently, when OUR star Reliever CLEM LABINE passed away. All the more reason to ban together and keep OUR memories alive with discussion and debate.....and, all the while, having fun doing it. :applaud:

I have tried in every way I know how to entice everyone back to OUR Forum, because, above and beyond all the obvious "wrongs", OUR love and loyalty to OUR DODGERS should be the prevailing reason WE are here, at least on OUR FORUM.:crossfingers:

c.

Comment

Originally posted by jaykay View Post
                              Now that Judge McCoy has written my obituary, do I bother getting up tomorrow?
                              I always felt that McCoy himself had the sharpest wit, the most significant.....how shall I say it.....je ne sais quoi?....I could not wait for his latest post concerning the barflies he hung out with, the celebrities who passed through his life, the numerous jobs he won and lost.....a man to be reckoned with, despite his advancing years.
                              Dodger Deb, you are so sweet to call me a "gem," but in the future kindly use the very first word that comes to mind, regardless of the emotional wound it may cause.
                              And as for this guy Thinslow, you should know that the Judge/Jaykay collection was offered on Abebooks for the usual $0.01 plus $3.50 shipping until it sold out. I believe McCoy now has all the copies, so you should try to collect your royalties from him. By the way, your remarks have a familiar ring - more like a gong, actually. Could it be that we've met? Is Thinslow your real name? Were you a fan of Captain Midnight? [No reply necessary]
                              Okay, jaykay, here goes! "GEM"!!!!!

c.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X